Southern Cross film 'The Woman Suffers' (1918) , made in Adelaide, a feminist melodrama

A scene from The Woman Suffers, starring Lottie Lyell, the 1918 melodrama made in Adelaide for South Australia's Southern Cross Feature Film Company.
 

Made in Adelaide and the first financed by South Australia’s Southern Cross Feature Film Company, The Woman Suffers (1918) was an important and controversial film in its time, and remains one of the most significant Australian silent features.

Directed by Raymond Longford, it starred his partner Lottie Lyell and has been called Australia’s first feminist feature film. The film is a full-scale melodrama of town and country, with sumptuous settings and high fashions, entwined with a highly moral story on a familiar theme: ruination of a woman by a man.

The film, in eight acts, includes many outrages – from the drunken wife-beater husband through to two young men who seduce and abandon women, causing one to suicide and the other to attempt an abortion. All the women in the film are sympathetically depicted.

The Woman Suffers opened in March 1918 at the Theatre Royal, Adelaide, to good box office results and rave reviews. It opened in Sydney in August to good houses and ran for seven weeks but this came to an abrupt halt in October when the New South Wales chief secretary banned further screenings, without giving reasons.

The Woman Suffers was popular in other states. Its success allowed Longford and Lyell to begin work on their next film, The Sentimental Bloke (1919), also for the Southern Cross Feature Film Company and based on the book by South Australian-born author C.J. Dennis. The Sentimental Bloke has been described as the crowning achievement of Longford and Lyell’s careers, and of all Australian silent films.

Marilyn Dooley reconstructed The Woman Suffers in the early 1990s at the National Film and Sound Archive and two thirds of it survive. The Woman Suffers gives a way of assessing just how advanced tLongford and Lyell's filmmaking technique had become by 1918.

 

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Lightburn's washing machine factory in Camden Park turns out Adelaide's own Zeta car

The Zeta, made from 1963 to 1965 by Lightburn and Co at its factory in the Adelaide suburb of Camden Park, became an instant car collector’s item because of its odd features and rarity. Car enthusiast Harold Lightburn, the company's owner and founder, was convinced that many Australians wanted the convenience of a small second car. Lightburn, who normally made cement mixers and washing machines, introduced the Zeta in 1963, priced £595, but sold fewer than 400. Zeta models were a sedan, sedan deluxe, utility and sports model.The Zeta Sedan (or Runabout) and utility were powered by a 324cc Villiers engine and were front wheel drive with independent rear trailing arms.The sedan had no rear hatch so the front seats had to be removed to access the cargo area. The chassis was steel, with a fibreglass body enclosing a large but sparse interior. Windows were perspex except for the front laminated glass windscreen. The doors were steel with sliding perspex windows.The four-speed, dog clutch Villiers gearbox had no reverse so the engine had to be switched off and started backwards to provide four reverse gears. Fuel came by gravity feed from a tank behind the dashboard. The fuel gauge was a plastic pipe running from top to bottom of the tank with a graduated glass tube section on the dashboard. The utility was the rarest Zeta with only eight produced. Some were bought by Sydney City Council for its Hyde Park fleet. The two-seater Zeta Sports was introduced in 1964. Like the Goggomobil Dart, it lacked doors and bumper bars. Only 28 were sold.

End of tariffs in 1980s erodes Playford era of industry but leaves infrastructure, skills

Tom Playford, who died in 1981, left a physical legacy from his record 26 years as premier. The water and electricity infrastructure from that time remains among the best in Australia. South Australia still has the remnants of a skills base built up over the Playford era. But the end to local industry tariff protection by the Australian government in the 1980s wiped out the state's advantage of cheap labour and had a serious impact on South Australian manufacturing, especially car making.

Vivian Lewis builds a cycling sales and manufacture empire in Adelaide from 1893

Although credited with assembling Adelaide’s first motor cycle and motor car, Vivian Lewis started with a bicycle business in 1893 that grew to one of Adelaide’s largest. His Ormonde Bicycle Depot in Freeman Street (later Gawler place), Adelaide, has its Lewis cycle workshop in McHenry Street. In 1896, he started a cycling school in a gymnasium and, at the peak of the turn-of-the-century cycle boom, he travelled to England frequently to keep up with trends in his cycle agencies. His light-blue men’s Pathracer, for road and track, and the Lewis roadster with three-speed hub and freewheel option became popular options. Although delving into motor-car options, Lewis continue to build a reputation for quality cycles. He bought the well-known Mount Gambier cycle business of D.J. McNamara and was influential in forming many cycling clubs around the state. He sponsored events, including the Lewis road race, promoted by the League of South Australian wheelmen, with a £8 first prize. Lewis died in 1919, after 54, after a long illness but his business carried on making and selling to racing cyclists and enthusiasts, taking advantage of imported BSA sets for improvements. In 1924, Fred Mann took over Vivian Lewis Ltd and put the company focus more on motoring as it moved to Waymouth Street, Adelaide, in 1925. Now an importer of Oldsmobile and Buick cars, the company continued selling motor motorcycles and cycles. A 1956 shift to Gouger Street, Adelaide, ended most manufacturing and Lewis Cycle Works went into voluntary liquidation in 1975.

Biggest film enterprise in South Australia follows Mortal Kombat game theme in 2019

Mortal Kombat, a 1990s video game franchise, became the blockbuster theme for the South Australia’s biggest film project in 2019. The enterprise, using the South Australian Film Corporation’s Adelaide Studios in Glenside, was for USA-based New Line Cinema, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Generating 580 jobs and involving 1500 extras at locations around South Australia, the film makers benefit from the state government’s 10% rebate on money spent in the state, with $70 million expected to be injected into the economy. Mortal Kombat also draws on South Australian expertise in production, post production and visual effect (VFX) for its action/adventure theme. South Australia has been able to span all those skills with animation companies such as Rising Sun Pictures and Resin studio and game-making companies such as Mighty Kingdom. The film will be led by producer James Wan, who has worked on Aquaman and The Conjuring, as well as award-winning filmmaker Simon McQuoid. Todd Garner will also be a producer, while Larry Kasanoff, E. Bennett Walsh, Michael Clear and Sean Robins to be executive producers, with screenplay by Greg Russo. Walsh said South Australia was the perfect location for the film and the team were excited at the opportunities it would create for the state. Director Simon McQuoid said the movie would go back to the “core essence” of the characters of the popular martial arts video game. A Deloitte Access Economic report estimated the contribution to the South Australian economy from 18 screen projects in 2017-18 was $119.5 million. 

Local Type A trams the early vanguard of 300 commissioned by MTT from 1909 to 1953

Municipal Tramways Trust (MTT) first 100 trams in 1908-09 had their bodies made at £100 each by Adelaide company Duncan and Fraser who had built horse tram cars for the Adelaide and Suburban Tramway as well as bodies for Melbourne electric trams. Up to its last purchase in 1953, the MTT commissioned more than 300 trams, some in service for 75 years. Type A trams made up 70 of the initial 100 trams. The types of trams ­– A, A1, A2, B, C, D, E, E1, F, F1, H, H1 – ­ varied over the years

Fowler brothers turn grocery shop into huge Adelaide wholesaler and brand builder from 1854

D. and J. Fowler (Australia) was started by Scottish brothers David and James Fowler, in 1854, as a grocery shop in King William Street, Adelaide, that became one of Australia's largest wholesale grocers. After James Fowler died in 1858, a third brother George joined and ran the company from King William Street from 1865 while David took over a London office. In 1881, Fowlers built a warehouse at Port Adelaide to store 30,000 tons of merchandise. Branches opened in Fremantle, Broken Hill and Kalgoorlie. Besides gaining a Shell dealership, Fowlers started a shipping agency for imports and exports including wool, wheat, meat and flour. They built Paou Chung Factory on King William Road and took over Barnfield & Turner’s London Condiment Company at Maylands. They renamed H. B. Hanton's at Fullarton as Lion Preserving Company and expanded into canned fruits with a factory at Nuriootpa (later sold to R. McEwin and Sons of Glen Ewin fame). Henry Harford in Mill Street, Adelaide, became Lion Confectionery Works. Fowlers contracted farmers in South Australia's south-east to grow chicory for Lion coffee/chicory essence. Fowlers introduced packaged tea with Paou Chung (1883) and Amgoorie (1896) brands. Adelaide Milling (bought in 1895), Robur Tea, Adelaide Bottle Company and Waltons added to the firm’s diversity. The Lion Factory, packaging self-raising flour and other goods, opened on North Terrace, Adelaide, in 1907. In 1899, D & J Fowler became a limited liability, with 2,000 shares given to employees. In 1982-83, it was taken over by the Adelaide-based Southern Farmers.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback