THE DYNAMICS OF NORTH TERRACE have changed with the Royal Adelaide Hospital’s move from the its east end to the west. Another change is the tramline running along its eastern section from King William Street.
The new Royal Adelaide Hospital is part of a biomedical precinct that so far also includes the SAHMRI (South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute) building, Adelaide University’s health and medical sciences building and the University of South Australia’s health innovation building.
On the eastern side of Morphett Street bridge, the Adelaide Convention Centre has expanded to three sections. The Adelaide Casino is slated to expand at the northern end of the 1920s neo-classical Adelaide Railway Station.
A new Festival Centre plaza is being built behind the old and new parliament houses.
Government House, whose oldest east section dates back to the 1840, leads to the national war memorial and a new Anzac Centenary Memorial Garden Walk along Kintore Avenue.
The Institute building is the fitting precursor to the jewels of North Terrace: the State Library and its Mortlock Wing; the South Australian Museum and the Art Gallery of South Australia.Adelaide University continues the lineup of Victorian-era facades with the Mitchell building and the Bonython and Elder halls.
With the hospital moving east, its older heritage buildings will be retained and other demolished to expand the Botanic Garden, another jewel in North Terrace’s crown.