On-street parking space sensors and people movement sensors part of Smart City projects

Sensors beneath existing numbered carpark spaces will notify motorists through the Park Adelaide App what on-street parks are available.

Nearly 2,800 parking sensors were installed across Adelaide's CBD in 2018 in the city council's latest Smart City project. The sensors beneath existing numbered carpark spaces will notify motorists through the Park Adelaide App what on-street parks are available and enable them to pay or top up through a smartphone or device.

The council also launched a project to monitor people movements in and around the city, with 60 people movement sensors across the CBD and North Adelaide. Pedestrian, cyclists and vehicles will be counted without identifying individuals, their mobile device or any other personal information.

The first video detection devices were installed on Hutt Street, North Terrace/Bank Street, the intersection of King William Street and North Terrace, and Gouger and Franklin streets.

Both the parking sensors and the people movement sensors reflect the council's part in the Australian Smart Cities Consortium led by associate professor Nick Falkner from the University of Adelaide's School of Computer Science.

The Australian Smart Cities Consortium started in 2017, with its management committee involved in projects such as improving urban transport and rainwater harvesting, turning smartphones into location-sensitive tour guides, and smart parking.

The smart parking initiatives could help replace the need for expensive multi-storey carpark stations once autonomous vehicles arrived in “large numbers” in the next eight to 15 years. It costs about $1,000 per square metre to build a vertical car park and each car needs about 30 square metres for roads and ramps, adding up to about $30,000 for each carpark space.

The Australian Smart Cities Consortium's role is to match up university faculties, academics and people outside of computing and engineering to address many problems in city living.

 

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Adelaide Oval's first sports event under lights in 1885: Adelaide v. South Adelaide footy

The first sports event under lights at Adelaide Oval was an Australian football match between Adelaide and South Adelaide on July 1, 1885, from 8pm. Adelaide engineering company F. Howard Clark and Co. supplied the six electric arc lamps, with two steam-powered dynamos for each three. Four lamps were 1,000 candlepower, made by Anglo-American company Brush, and two of 2,000 candlepower by the German industrial giant Siemens. The lamps were mounted on 30-feet poles equally spaced around the oval just outside the boundary flags. The game was well attended but the lighting didn’t allow a full view of the game, especially when the ball’s white paint wore off. There also were brief lamp failures. Adelaide won the game 1 goal 8 behinds to 8 behinds. Francis Howard Clark was manager of the engineering side of the company behind the Adelaide Oval venture. Clark, who founded an engineering shop in Port Adelaide, built windmills and pumps of his own design. His windmill was shown at the 1879 Adelaide Industrial Exhibition; his pumps were well received at the Adelaide Exhibition in 1881. A portable steam engine and well-boring equipment won prizes at the Royal Adelaide Show in 1887.

Radio signals sent from Todd's observatory to Henley Beach in 1899 among Australia's first

William Bragg was involved in sending one of Australia’s first radio signals in Adelaide in 1899. These were Morse code messages, includied one from the Charles Todd’s observatory wireless hut on West Terrace, Adelaide, to the Bragg family’s hut at Henley Beach. William and had been diverted into the possibilities of radio or “wireless telegraphy” by his father in law Charles Todd, While on study leave in England in 1898, Bragg met with Guglielmo Marconi and discussed his experiments.

Light and team resign, form own firm, when commissioners want quicker survey method

About 150,000 acres had been surveyed by William Light’s team by June 1838 when George Kingston returned from England to tell that the colonial commissioners’ had rejected therequest for more resources. Light was told to abandon trigonometrical work in favour of running surveys. Light resigned with all but two of his staff. He became principal in Light, Finniss & Co. with Boyle Travers Finniss, Henry Nixon, William Jacob and Robert Thomas, who drew the first map of Adelaide city.

 

Mini satellite made at Adelaide University, launched in 2017, part of the state's space revival

A miniaturised satellite named SUSat, built by about 50 Adelaide University staff and students, was launched from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in 2017. The size of a loaf of bread, it is one of three “nanosatellites” developed in Australia under the European-funded project, QB50 — an international network of 50 cubesats. They investigated the thermosphere — a layer of atmosphere about 95-500km from the Earth's surface — to increase understanding of climate and weather modelling. It orbited Earth at the rocketing speed of 7.5km/sec, or 27,000km/h.  It will one of  the first three Australian-built spacecraft to make it into the cosmos since the FedSat scientific research satellite took flight in 2002. Data from Adelaide’s SuSat was collected up to three times per day via the University of South Australia’s Institute for Telecommunications’ ground station at Mawson Lakes. The state government gave $300,000 towards developing the Adelaide University satellite as part of its push for Australia to become involved in the $323 billion space industry. That involvement was supported by astronaut Andy Thomas, an Adelaide University mechanical engineering doctorate graduate who was on four missions into space during 22 years with NASA in the United States. Thomas was at 68th International Astronautical Congress in Adelaide in 2017, where an Australian Space Agency was announced. A state government space studies program with $50,000 in scholarships was announced for the University of South Australia and International Space University’s southern hemisphere space studies.



 

German Association club ends more than century in Flinders Street, Adelaide, in 2019

The German Club in Flinders Street, Adelaide, ended its 130-year association with the city centre in 2019. The club grew out the South Australian German Association, set up in 1886, that moved into two former houses in Flinders Street in 1913. A previous German Club, formed in 1954, had built an elegant clubhouse plus the Albert Hall in Pirie Street in 1879-80. Debt from these projects forced their sale to the Salvation Army, with the club folding in 1909. The Pirie Street club  had been predominantly for wealthier Germans in North Adelaide and Walkerville to rise in wider Adelaide society. Separately, the German Association continued to grow in popularity, though ignored by former Pirie Street German club stalwarts such as Frederick Basedow. The German Association’s club was successor to early groups that attracted South Australian Germans including Macclesfield United English and German Rifle Club (1851), German Rifle Club (1853), German Glee Club and Liedertafels. It appealed to the working and artisan classes, who lived in the country or tiny houses in the crowded Stepney and city south and east. The association concentrated on social evenings and folk culture, such as the Oktoberfest and Schützenfest. Early members kept their Lutheran faith, married Lutherans and sent their children to Lutheran schools, although the church regarded the club as having unhealthy socialist sympathies. The German Association club’s larger premises were built in Flinders Street in the 1970s but changing demographics and costs forced it to find a new home in suburban Brooklyn Park in 2019.

South Australia's WRE a defence technology centre from World War II and the Cold War

South Australia became a defence science and technology centre from World War II. Before the war, the only defence experiments being done in the state were at the proof range started at Port Wakefield in 1929 to test weapons and ammunition. In his push for industrialisation, premier Tom Playford convinced Labor prime minister John Curtin of the strategic benefit of having defence industry in South Australia, away from the frontline for attacka. The new federal munitions department opened Salisbury explosives factory and Finsbury munitions factory in then-open environs of Adelaide. Playford encouraged South Australia’s part in the next conflict: the Cold War. The state hosted British atomic bomb tests at Maralinga and sold its Radium Hill uranium to the USA. In 1946, Finsbury became home to munitions supply laboratories and Anglo-Australian joint project at Woomera, with aviation support at RAAF Base Mallala. The Long Range Weapons Establishment (LRWE) was set up in Salisbury in 1947 to support Woomera guided weapons base. Salisbury activity intensified in 1949 with new laboratories: high speed aerodynamics, propulsion, electronics. In 1955, LRWE and all Salisbury laboratories linked as the Weapons Research Establishment (WRE). The RAAF Base Edinburgh near Salisbury superseded Mallala. In 1974, the WRE split into four laboratories: weapons systems, electronics, trials and advanced engineering – as Defence Research Centre Salisbury. The last of the WRE, looking after Woomera test range, was absorbed into the Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO) in 1974.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback