Adelaide-made Type A trams the first of 300 commissioned by the MTT from 1909 to 1953

Twenty-four Type A electric trams lined up to leave the the Hackney depot.
Image courtesy State Library of South Australia

South Australia's Municipal Tramways Trust's (MTT's) first 100 trams in 1908-09 had their bodies made at £100 each by Adelaide company Duncan and Fraser who had built horse tram cars for the Adelaide and Suburban Tramway as well as bodies for Melbourne electric trams. Up to its last purchase in 1953, the MTT commissioned more than 300 trams, some in service for 75 years.

Type A trams were the most common, with 70 of the initial 100 made in this single truck combination style. They incorporated a closed central saloon and open crossbenches on the same tram. Capable of up to 22 miles per hour (35 km/h), they had a seating for 29 in saloons with 20 in open benches. These trams had no airbrakes and instead used a handbrake for normal use and a magnetic track brake for emergencies.

Many trams were removed from lines and stored in the 1930s, returning to service in 1941 due to petrol rationing boosting passenger numbers. Fifty-eight were permanently joined in “Bib and Bub” (named after May Gibb comic character) pairs to conserve manpower until 1950. The pairs required a conductor on each tram to collect fares but only one driver.

From 1917, six A Type trams were used on the isolated Port Adelaide system that closed in 1935. Several were withdrawn from service after closure and were stored in Port Adelaide depot then transferred to Hackney depot/workshops until scrapped.  All Type As were withdrawn from service by 1952. Many were sold for use as shacks.

The types of trams ­– A, A1, A2, B, C, D, E, E1, F, F1, H, H1 – ­ varied over the years and all trams were numbered so their fate could be followed even when they were taken off the lines. For instance, Car 44 was used as a first aid room at Hackney depot between 1946 and 1961. Cars 45, 48 and 52 were used as store rooms at Hackney workshops to house the spare parts ordered for the proposed H1 fleet and a service that ended in 1954. Car 47 was used as a lunch room at Hackney workshops while Car 50 was partly converted into a driver instruction car in the early 1950s.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Alfred Muller Simpson leads the way in making ammunitions and enamelled products

In 1885, Alfred Muller Simpson became the first maker of munitions, including submarine mines, in South Australia. A new Simpson plant in Wakefield Street in 1894, included electroplating and furnaces for hollowware and porcelain enamelling – a first for Australia. Enamelled street and advertising signs from Simpson’s soon appeared in most Australian capitals. By the start of the 20th Century, Simpson was largest metal maker in the country, with three factories and 500 employees.
 

Adelaide to Port, first government-owned steam railway in British empire, starts network

The 12km broad-gauge railway between Adelaide and Port Adelaide, opened in 1856, was the first government-built and -owned steam railway in the British empire. By 1860, a railway had been built to Kapunda where copper was first discovered in 1843 – and it soon became South Australia’s largest wheat receiving station. An extension, branching off at Roseworthy, was completed in 1870 to serve mines at Burra. The Kapunda line was then pushed through to Morgan to capture Murray River paddle steamer trade from upstream. During the 1870s, South Australian rail lines were short and disconnected, built from wheat-growing areas to the nearest port such as Port Broughton to Mundoora (horse drawn), Port Pirie to Crystal Brook and Port Wakefield to Balaklava, Port Augusta to Quorn, Port Pirie to Peterborough, Port Broughton to Mundoora, Wallaroo to Snowtown, Port Wakefield to Hoyleton, Goolwa to Strathalbyn, Kingston to Naracoorte, Beachport to Mount Gambier. Surveyor general George Goyder influenced the policy to link all lines into a network centred on Adelaide during the last 20 years of the century, even though all lines except Adelaide to Terowie were narrow gauge.  In 1865, Goyder also had declared the north-south limit of rainfall reliable enough for cropping. The Great Northern Railway, built from Port Augusta to Quorn in 1879, reaching Marree in 1883, and Oodnadatta in 1891, went far before above that line. The same applied to lines in mallee country to the east and the Eyre Peninsula lines, starting with the link between Port Lincoln and Cummins in 1907.

Duncan & Fraser move from horse coaches to building Adelaide's trams from the 1870s

Adelaide’s 19th Century horse-coach-building industry – with names like Holden and Richards –  would have a profound effect on Australia’s early 20th Century car manufacturing. Also important were two Scotsmen, coach builder James Duncan and coach painter James Fraser, who set up their business in Franklin Street, Adelaide, in 1865. At Easter in 1869, they caused a stir by introducing the velocipede to Adelaide but they only sold 50 before another invention, the pennyfarthing cycle, overran it. Bulding a reputation for quality – winning the best-carriage gold medal at the Duke of Edinburgh’s exhibition in Adelaide in 1867 – they moved into bigger premises at 42 Franklin Street. They were rewarded with the 1873 commission to build two carriages for the Adelaide, Glenelg and Surburban Railway Co. But, in 1876, when Adelaide authorities faced the need for horse trams, they opted to buy them from John Stephenson & Co. in New York. The American tramcars arrived unassembled and unpainted. Duncan & Fraser was the only Adelaide company with the experience to fix the problem, charging £20 per tramcar. From then on, all Adelaide’s trams were built locally. Duncan & Fraser bought 16 acres at Kilkenny next to the Port Adelaide railway line for their third factory. Duncan took over the business after Fraser died in 1886. By 1909, with South Australia and Victoria electrifying their tram systems, Duncan & Fraser built Adelaide’s first 100 electric trams. Melbourne, Ballarat, Bendigo and Geelong also had Duncan & Fraser trams, with some operating in the 1960s. In 1900, Vivian Lewis’s cycle works in Adelaide invited Duncan & Fraser to build their first car. This would be the first of thousands of automobile bodies Duncan & Fraser would assemble.

George Michell passes belief in wool from 1895 to his family firm still scouring in Salisbury

George Henry Michell founded G. H. Michell & Sons, wool brokers and processors, at Undalya, south of Clare Valley, around 1895. A bootmaker, Michell started in wool by buying small lots from farmers and scouring on the banks of the River Wakefield. He was noted for buying wool during slumps. In 1903, he bought wool-scouring works at 33 Adam Street, Hindmarsh, previously run by W. Peacock and Sons. All four Michell sons were employed in the business and inherited it in 1909. In 1907, the Michell factory had been destroyed in one of South Australia's largest fires, which started at W.H. Burford and Son’s Apollo Works soap factory and also razed George Wilcox's skin depot. David Reid's tannery was spared. Another big fire in 1943, at fellmonger David Jowitt and Sons, spared Michell's and Burford's factories but a blaze in 1945 destroyed their wool treatment factory on Manton/Adam streets corner. In 1938, the company was listed on the Melbourne Stock Exchange with a signed-up capital of £500,000 in £1 shares (doubled to £lm. in 1953). The wool business thrived during wartime. Major expansion was made in Adam Street but a move onto South Road (then Taylor's Road) was opposed by nearby residents. In 1947, a private company, G. H. Michell & Sons (SA) Ltd., was formed with a nominal capital of £100,000 and two shareholders: R. J. and G. H. Michell. In that year, other members of the Michell family formed Woolcombers (WA) in Perth. G. H. Michell and Sons moved to Salisbury in the 1980s as Michell Australia and then the Michell Group of Companies.

 

 

South Australia first in Australia to ban e-waste to landfill; Nystar plant to recover resources

South Australia was the first Australian state to ban electronic waste (e-waste) going to landfill. Whitegoods were banned from direct landfill disposal since 2011 and computers, televisions and fluorescent lighting from metropolitan Adelaide were banned from being disposed of directly to landfill in 2012. From 2013, those wastes and other e-waste are banned from direct landfill disposal across all of South Australia. E-waste comprises waste electrical or electronic equipment. Televisions, computers and their peripherals (mice, keyboards), whitegoods and fluorescent lighting are all e-waste. E-waste can contain hazardous materials including heavy metals and glass that, if broken or damaged, pose environmental hazards. Around 90% of what is used to make televisions and computers can be recycled. But e-waste has been liable to be landfilled interstate of exported to countries without environmental or health and safety rules. South Australia provided an important development for processing Australian e-waste, with the $514 million transformation of Nystar’s Port Pirie smelter in 2017 including a multi-metals  recovery plant. Nyrstar was expected to expand the range of e-waste for processing. A global multi-metals business, Nyrstar would accept electronics such as printed computer circuit boards, cathode ray tubes, phones and related devices. The expanded plant was expected to take photovoltaic cells from roof solar panels, alkaline batteries and other batteries such as lead acid and nickel cadmium. Treatment of e-waste was expected to increase to more than 20,000 tonnes a year.

From saddlery in 1859, Holden's grabs 20th Century chance to make bodies for US car giants

The Holden story began in 1856 when, James Alexander Holden who emigrated from England in 1852, set up J.A. Holden & Co saddlery business in Adelaide.
In 1885, German-born Henry Frederick Frost joined the business which became Holden & Frost Ltd. Edward Holden, James' grandson, brought an interest in automobiles to the company in 1905. In 1908, Holden & Frost moved into minor repairs to car upholstery. It began making complete motorcycle sidecar bodies in 1913, and Edward experimented with fitting bodies to different carriages. After 1917, wartime trade restrictions led the company to start full-scale production of vehicle body shells. J.A. Holden founded a new company in 1919, Holden's Motor Body Builders (HMBB) specialising in car bodies and using a building on King William Street. By 1923, HMBB were producing 12,000 units per year. HMBB was the first company to assemble bodies for Ford Australia, until its Geelong plant was ready. From 1924, HMBB exclusively supplied car bodies for GM in Australia, making them at the new Woodville plant These bodies suited imported chassis from makers such as Chevrolet and Dodge. In 1926, General Motors (Australia) had assembly plants in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia and Birkenhead, South Australia, using bodies produced by HMBB Builders and imported chassis. General Motors bought HMBB in 1931 and merged it with General Motors (Australia) Pty Ltd to form General Motors-Holden's Ltd (GM-H).

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback