Deeply religious Thomas Magarey thrives as a South Australian miller/ pastoralist from 1840s

Thomas Magarey's flour mill in Hindmarsh, about 1870, still incorporating some of John Ridley's equipment.
Images courtesy State Library of South Australia

Thomas Magarey was “brought up to the milling business” during his Lancashire boyhood. At 17, with brother James, he migrated in 1842 to Nelson, New Zealand, where they joined other United Christians dissenters in building a chapel, Sunday school and temperance society. Their unity was disturbed by Anglican and Wesleyan ministers arriving, along with economic hardship.

Interested by the import of wheat from Adelaide, the Magarey brothers moved to South Australia in 1845. Four years later, they succeeded John Ridley as owners of Hindmarsh flour mill.

Thomas Magarey built up extensive markets locally and overseas when he took over the business. In 1859, he leased the Naracoorte run: 87 square miles capable of carrying more than 20,000 sheep plus cattle and horses. He held smaller south-eastern properties and more areas on Eyre Peninsula, including Tulkea at Sleaford Bay. 

Magarey is credited with a public spiritedness in renting rural land at reasonable rates to struggling farmers, giving them the right to buy. After his marriage to Elizabeth Verco, Magarey made his home at Noarlunga, then Hindmarsh, where in 1857 he was elected to the district council. In 1860-63, he represented West Torrens in the House of Assembly, and sat in the Legislative Council 1863-65 where he championed the pastoral industry and advocated Bible reading in public schools.

James Magarey ran Gannawarra Station on Gunbower Creek (a River Murray tributary in Victoria) then moved to Laurel Bank Villa at Geelong. He drowned in 1859 in South Australia’s worst maritime disaster: the wreck of the SS Admella, off Carpenter Rocks, southwest of Mount Gambier. His son William James Magarey also owned flour mills at Hindmarsh and Port Pirie.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

$100m Sundrop Farm first of the ideas for big solar projects to start bearing fruit

The home of two defunct coal-fired power stations, Port Augusta, at the top of Spencer Gulf, has become the focus for big industrial solar projects. Sundrop Farms, a $100 million plant desalinating nearby Spencer Gulf water with solar power to irrigate tomatoes and other vegetables in glasshouses, is operating. A 127m tower is topping by a 234-tonne central boiler, receiving sun rays from more than 23,000 mirrors. This is the first large concentrated solar power technology for horticulture.

Robbie Davis, as South Australian Rural Woman of 2016, looked at cutting potato waste

Robbie Davis's project to reduce food waste in agriculture saw her named 2016 South Australian Rural Woman of the Year. As chief executive of Potatoes South Australia, Davis had a particular aim to save misshapen potatoes from ending up as cattle feed. Every year, South Australian potato growers, in the biggest potato-producing region in Australia, rejected thousands of tonnes of unwanted tubers. A mindset had been created among consumers and growers by supermarkets that good potatoes had to have perfect skin, shape and size. South Australian growers produce about 385,000 tonnes of potatoes annually but an extra 20-40% went into stock feed or was dug back into the ground. That represented about $30 million wastage. Potatoes SA has worked with the  Adelaide University on technologies that could lead to more profitable alternatives. Treatments to extend the shelf life of potatoes are among possibilities. Another is pureed potato product suitable for infants and older people, with Australian hospitals and nursing homes importing desiccated potato from Europe and New Zealand. A $10,000 bursary from 2016 SA Rural Woman of the Year awards sponsor Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation supported Davis’s research into other value-added options. Davis, with a bachelor of agricultural science and master of business administration from Adelaide University, was also a farmer near Meningie in South Australia's upper south east. She also worked in South East Asia, gaining experience in global markets before setting up her own agribusiness consultancy. 

Ever-growing variety of grain, seed and pulse crops join barley as the backup to wheat

Barley has been a traditional backup crop to wheat in the $2.5 billion South Australia grain industry. In recent years, the range of large-scale grains and pulse crops now includes durum, oats, ryecorn, triticale, peas, lupins, broad beans, faba beans, chickpeas, lentils, vetch, canola and hay. Small areas of flax (linseed), safflower and coriander are also grown. Alternate crops, such as oil seeds and pulse, give rotation breaks against disease and weeds. South Australia’s small seed industry is Australia’s largest.

Bank of Adelaide started by Henry Ayers and new social and business establishment in 1865

The Bank of Adelaide was founded in 1865 by a core of the South Australian social establishment. The bank’s first directors made their money through the Burra Burra copper boom, pastoral runs, speculating in land, or retail. The five directors were:
• Henry Ayers (chairman) who became rich from the Burra Burra copper mines, as secretary in charge of 1000 men. Ayers was South Australian premier several times in 1863-73.
• Robert Barr Smith came to Adelaide in 1855 to join Elder & Co. From a firm mercantile and shipping base, Smith and Thomas Elder expanded into pastoral and mining. Their risks in 1860-61, with a £80,000 loan to develop Wallaroo and Moonta copper mines, brought enormous wealth. They opened vast agricultural land and stock/station agency network.
• Thomas Magarey: Arrived in 1845 with brother James and a Lancashire milling background. Four years later, they succeeded John Ridley as owners of Hindmarsh flour mill. In 1859, Thomas leased a big Naracoorte pastoral run with sheep, cattle and horses. He had other properties in the south east and Eyre Peninsula.
• Thomas Waterhouse was an early shareholder and later director of Burra mine. With brother John, he ran a grocery business at King William and Rundle streets ("Waterhouse's corner"). During the Victorian gold rush exodus, Waterhouse profited from investing heavily in Adelaide city centre land.
• George Harris joined George Scarfe in 1866 in a Hindley Street ironmonger business that became hardware sellers, later retailers, Harris Scarfe.

Emerging giant, South Australian Brewing Co., in 1893 set to dominate beer/hotels business

South Australian Brewing, Malting & Wine & Spirit Co., emerging in 1888 from amalgamating Edwin Smith’s Kent Town and William Knox Simms’ West End breweries and the wine and spirit business of Rounsevell & Simms, was a major development in the brewing industry. South Australian Brewing, Malting & Wine & Spirit Co. listed on the stock exchange of Adelaide. It sold the wine and spirit business to two Adelaide wine merchants, A.E. & F. Tolley and Milne & Co. in 1893 and became South Australian Brewing Co. Ltd. The new company bought breweries in Laura and Port Augusta in 1893 and closed them in 1893 and 1898. Walkerville Co-operative Brewing Co. Ltd, originally operating at Walkerville, took over the Torrenside Brewery at Thebarton (established in 1886 by the Ware brothers) in 1898. Walkerville Coop was to become South Australian Brewing's main competitor. Lion Brewery in North Adelaide was the other major competitor, but it ceased brewing in 1914. Other smaller breweries were finding it increasingly difficult to survive. Poor brewing practices, competition from larger city breweries that took advantage of the expanding railway system, the Beer Duty Act 1894 which exacted a duty of two pence per imperial gallon (2d/4.5L), and, following federation, brewer’s licences and regulations associated with the commonwealth government’s Beer Excise Act 1901 resulted in more brewery closures in the city, suburbs and country.

Snobs (small investors) outdo wealthy Nobs in dividends from the Burra copper mines

After copper was found at Burra Burra in 1845, wealthy capitalists called the Nobs (including John Grainger, Charles Bagot and Francis Dutton) bought the southern half of the mine area and a group of smaller investors – shopkeepers and merchants of the South Australian Mining Association (the Snobs) – took the northern half that proved the much more productive. The South Australian Mining Association, run by secretary Henry Ayers, had jumped quickly into action at its Burra Burra northern mine. It soon had 10 Cornish miners, a blacksmith and a captain on its site and began blasting in September 1845. Bullock drays loaded with the red copper oxide ore were soon heading to Port Adelaide. Over the mine's 32 years, fewer than than 100 shareholders of the South Australian Mining Association shared a then-huge £826,586 in mining dividends. The economy of South Australia, in the doldrums since governor George Grey had arrived in 1841, recovered completely.

 

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback