Coober Pedy golf club only one in the world with reciprocal rights to St Andrew's in Scotland

Coober Pedy Opal Fields golf course is strewn with rocks but players can keep any opals they find.

Coober Pedy Opal Fields Golf Club is the only one in the world with reciprocal rights for its members to play at The Royal and Ancient Golf of St Andrews – home to the British Open in Scotland.

This came from a 2003 satellite-link exchange, arranged by a film maker doing a opal mining documentary at Coober Pedy, between St Andrew’s general manager Alan McGregor and opal fields club president Kim Kelly. The humourous McGregor offered rights to St Andrew’s in exchange for an opal mine. Kelly promptly staked a mine claim near the course and sent off a few opals and a how-to mining brochure.

While the reciprocal rights are actually for the nine-hole Balgove Course, a Coober Pedy member who tested the privilege “with a few mates” was given the OK by McGregor to play on the revered Old Course.

The golf course is hardly an oddity in the context of Coober Pedy, 846 km north of Adelaide on the Stuart Highway, renowned for its life below ground that extends beyond “dugout” homes to churches (the Serbian Orthodox and Catholic) and motels plus the 250,000 small opal mines.

The name “Coober Pedy” comes from the local Aboriginal term kupa-piti: “boys’ waterhole”.

The first European explorer to pass near the site of Coober Pedy was John McDouall Stuart in 1858. The town didn’t start until 1915, when opal was discovered by Wille Hutchison. Miners first moved in about 1916. A law discouraged large-scale mining by restricting each prospector to a 15.3 square-metre claim.

In a desert climate, many residents prefer to live in dugout caves bored into the hillsides. A standard three-bedroom cave home with lounge, kitchen, and bathroom can be excavated out of the rock in the hillside for a similar price to building a house on the surface – with the need for airconditioning.

The three-roomed dugout at 13 Hutchison Street and the nearby underground Catholic church and presbytery are heritage listed.

Of the population of around 1,600, about 60% are from southern/eastern European migrants after World War II. More than 45 nationalities are represented.

The first tree in a town was welded together from scrap iron and sits on a hilltop overlooking the town.

Sometimes called the opal capital of the world due to the quality and size of its 70 opal fields, Coober Pedy has become a popular tourist stopover, especially since 1987 when the Stuart Highway was sealed.

The town’s Australian rules football club, the Coober Pedy Saints, established in 2004 and competing in the Far North Football League (formerly the Woomera & Districts Football League), must make round trips of more than 900 kilometres to Roxby Downs where the league’s other teams are located.

The result of a drunken decision in 1976, the par-72 18-hole sand trap golf course – mostly used at night with glowing balls, to avoid daytime heat – has no grass and golfers take a piece of “turf” for teeing off. Shots tend to ricochet off rocks strewn about the course but players can keep any opal they find. Putting surfaces, called scrapes, are rolled with motor oil.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Board minds progress and problems of the APY communities in the far northwest of the state

An executive board, elected for three years, manages the APY (Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara) Lands and communities including Indulkana, Mimili, Kaltjiti, Pukatja, Amata, Pipalyatjara, Watarru, Kalka, Kanpi, Nyapari and Yunyarinyi.. The 3000 people of the APY Lands continue to enjoy small improvements, among their problems, in the remote 100,000 square kilometres of South Australia’s far northwest. Improvements include a trade training centre that has passed 1,000 enrolments. It draws students from all schools in the Anangu Lands, including Amata, Mimili and Kenmore Park. Early years education and support for families with young children has been boosted by a preschool in Mimili and a wellbeing centre in Fregon. The centre combines birth-to-five education and care with family and community services. The centre offers a preschool and playgroup run by the Fregon Anangu School, as well as offices for training or family meetings. The Kaltjiti community worked to bring about the centre. Major upgrade of the first section of 210km main access road between Pukatja (Ernabella) and Umuwa began in 2016, improving the Anangu community’s access to essential services.The state government named 143 roads across the 13 APY communities. Street names and home numbers allow better access to outside services and programs but the project stopped short of installing street signs. 

 

Macro Meats world's largest processor of kangaroos, wild game; camels being considered

Macro Meats Gourmet Game is the world’s largest processor of meat from wild game including kangaroo, rabbit, hare, venison, goat and wild pig. Started by Ray Borda, Macro Meats is a national success, employing 300 at Athol Park headquarters. It has 90% of the Australian kangaroo meat industry. Meanwhile, about 350,00 feral camels are in the outback and ways to profit from their meat are being looked at by the South Australian and Northern Territory governments.



 

Lightburn's washing machine factory in Camden Park turns out Adelaide's own Zeta car

The Zeta, made from 1963 to 1965 by Lightburn and Co at its factory in the Adelaide suburb of Camden Park, became an instant car collector’s item because of its odd features and rarity. Car enthusiast Harold Lightburn, the company's owner and founder, was convinced that many Australians wanted the convenience of a small second car. Lightburn, who normally made cement mixers and washing machines, introduced the Zeta in 1963, priced £595, but sold fewer than 400. Zeta models were a sedan, sedan deluxe, utility and sports model.The Zeta Sedan (or Runabout) and utility were powered by a 324cc Villiers engine and were front wheel drive with independent rear trailing arms.The sedan had no rear hatch so the front seats had to be removed to access the cargo area. The chassis was steel, with a fibreglass body enclosing a large but sparse interior. Windows were perspex except for the front laminated glass windscreen. The doors were steel with sliding perspex windows.The four-speed, dog clutch Villiers gearbox had no reverse so the engine had to be switched off and started backwards to provide four reverse gears. Fuel came by gravity feed from a tank behind the dashboard. The fuel gauge was a plastic pipe running from top to bottom of the tank with a graduated glass tube section on the dashboard. The utility was the rarest Zeta with only eight produced. Some were bought by Sydney City Council for its Hyde Park fleet. The two-seater Zeta Sports was introduced in 1964. Like the Goggomobil Dart, it lacked doors and bumper bars. Only 28 were sold.

Myth fuels dispute over Benjamin Mendes da Costa's gift to Anglican church and St Peter's

An enduring Adelaide myth is that the Anglican Church deprived the Roman Catholic Church of the large bequest from businessman and philanthropist Benjamin Mendes da Costa. The myth is rooted in da Costa’s Portuguese name, suggesting he was Catholic. But da Costa had Jewish lineage and, with sister Louisa, was bought up in the Church of England as a child of his father’s second marriage. (The first-marriage children were brought up Jewish.) Benjamin and sister Louisa (both never married) arrived in South Australia on 1840. He set up as a merchant in Hindley Street and moved to Grenfell Street. He built up property across South Australia but significantly in eight places on Hindley, Rundle, Grenfell, Currie, Gilbert and Pulteney streets plus Hindmarsh Square and South Terrace. The da Costas only stayed in South Australia seven years but when Benjamin died in 1869 he left land for the site of St Peter’s Cathedral and his £20,000 Adelaide property estate to the Collegiate School of St Peter. The dispute over wording of his will concerns which bishop of Adelaide was beneficiary: the Anglican Augustus Short, whom da Costa knew, or the Catholic bishop. A legal case won by the Anglicans on this point is a myth. St Peter’s College didn’t get its bequest until the last of da Costa’s relatives (also heirs) died in 1910.

Common Cause a very South Australian social campaign by eclectic group in World War II

Common Cause is a peculiarly South Australian campaign that grew and faded during the World War II years. After Australian prime minister John Curtin’s call for a unified national war effort, Tom Garland, secretary of the Gasworkers Union and a communist, backed the need for “patriotism and self sacrifice” but with evidence of “a far better deal for the great masses of the people in the post-war days”. Garland received his most prominent support from the Rev. Guy Pentreath, headmaster of Adelaide’s St Peter’s College. This started the Common Cause, launched at an overflow meeting at Adelaide Town Hall in 1943. Other meetings dwelt on issues such as poverty, bad housing, malnutrition, lack of educational opportunities and rampant individualism. A postwar town planning, public housing, public health and community development were discussed. The campaign put ideas into practice with a nursery at Brighton and kindergartens at Brighton, Nuriootpa, Stirling and Keith. Nuriootpa became a wider Common Cause experiment in community development. Mainly a middle-class movement, Common Cause petered out after 1944 but it brought together figures such as Adelaide University economist Keith Isles and historian G.V. Portus and progressive businessman Sidney Crawford. Also involved were J.W. Wainwright, the architect of South Australia’s transforming industrialisation strategy, and Alex Ramsay, future general manager of the South Australian Housing Trust – a prime agent in the Playford era’s own version of a common cause to improve the state.

William Bragg helps tee up Adelaide Golf Club's move to its new course at Seaton in 1906

William Bragg was at the forefront of (Royal) Adelaide Golf Club’s effort to establish itself at Seaton from 1906. William joined the club in 1893 when its course was in the east city parklands opposite the Braggs’ first home at North Adelaide. He was elected the club’s secretary/treasurer and reduced his golf handicap from 13 to 1.William was involved in the club's efforts to find a new course in 1904 at Seaton. William provided a club trophy in 1905 and in 1906/7 he won the senior medal.

 

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback