Charles Moore's bold/ beautiful vision for Adelaide store gutted by 1948 fire; now law courts

Moore's on the Square store was officially opened around the grand central staircase in 1916 by the mayor of Adelaide, Isaac Isaacs. It became the Sir Samuel Way law courts building from 1983.
Image courtesy State Library of South Australia

Moore’s on the Square was the bold and beautiful gamble by Charles Moore who, in 1914, opened a department store in Victoria Square away from Adelaide’s main retail streets, Rundle and Hindley, at that time.

Moore had arrived in South Australia in 1881 and worked briefly for John Martin and Co. store before starting his own merchant and import business on Rundle Street in the 1890s.

Moore’s bold vision for a new store extended to wanting to match the palatial emporiums, such as Galleries Lafayette, that he visited while at the Paris Exhibition in 1878. Arthur Garlick and Herbert Jackman were architects for his Adelaide building and William Lucas came from England to fit the grand marble central staircase he’d designed. The store was officially opened in 1916 by the mayor of Adelaide, Isaac Isaacs.

Moore’s store traded successfully until 1948 when it was gutted by a spectacular fire that only some ground floor structures, the external shell and the staircase survived. The shop was rebuilt under the architects Garlick, Jackman and Gooden and business returned until a gradual decline in the 1970s.

In 1979, the building was sold to the state government’s South Australian Superannuation Fund Investment Trust. The building’s closeness to the supreme court and strong public sentiment for it to be preserved saw the former department store redeveloped into law courts for the state government.

It was remodelled in the early 1980s, with a tiled roof and dome added. Some original features were retained, including the grand staircase, as it became home to 26 courtrooms, library and administration from 1983, as the Sir Samuel Way Building, in honour of South Australia’s longest serving chief justice. It continues to be an important part of South Australia’s legal precinct in Victoria Square.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Alfred Wells' buildings sway next generation with Adelaide Arcade and Jubilee Exhibition

Wells became one of Adelaide’s leading architects, influencing Louis Laybourne Smith, F. Kenneth Milne and Henry Ernest Fuller. With Latham A. Withall, Wells designed Adelaide Arcade and the Jubilee Exhibition building (1887) on North Terrace, and the Angas (1894) and Campbell buildings at Adelaide Children’s Hospital. Other works included the the Commercial Travellers Club, North Terrace; the Steamship Buildings, Currie Street, for the Adelaide Steamship Company, and the South Australian Hotel (1899).

Carl Laubmann, Harold Pank create a national optical stores chain from Adelaide in 1908

Carl Wilhelm Laubmann and Harold Pankin 1908 in Victoria Square, Adelaide, founded an optometry practice that, by the 1930s, was Australia’s largest retail optical business. Laubmann was born in Adelaide inner suburb Stepney, the eldest of seven with German parents. He left Norwood Primary in 1892, aged 14, to be trained as an optician by noted Adelaide ophthalmologist Dr T. K. Hamilton. A perfectionist, Laubmann used woodworking learnt from his carpenter father to make his own optical cabinets and metal tools. In 1900, Laubman noted a demand for optician services in regional areas and set up his own business in Broken Hill. He married local musician Maude May Sullivan. In 1907, young Adelaide optometrist, Harold Pank contacted Laubmann while visiting Broken Hill as a cellist. A firm friendship formed, particularly as Pank and Maude Laubmann shared an interest in music. With changed family circumstances, the Laubmanns moved to Adelaide where Carl took up Pank’s idea of a partnership. Laubmann & Pank soon moved from Victoria Square to busy Rundle Street, where business flourished. In 1913, Carl was a founder of the South Australian Optical Association. Due to anti-German attitudes, he anglicised his name to Charles William Laubman. The now-Laubman & Pank diversified into selling optical instruments. Their field glasses were popular parting gifts to military officers. With Laubman as technician and Pank the entrepreneur, they invented and developed important optical instruments, lenses, and processes. They also pioneered taking optometry to rural and remote areas. 

 

Pope Products grows from its World War II munitions work to be a 1950s appliances giant

Pope Products, notably washing machines and refrigerators, grew out of a father-and-son operation making irrigation components at home in Robert Street, West Croydon, in the late 1920s. The assets of Pope Sprinklers were taken over by the two Pope brothers, Barton and Clifford, who set up Pope Products in a factory at Beverley in 1935. From 1939, an increasing output from the factory was directed towards the war effort; chiefly stamped and cast parts for the Commonwealth munitions factory and aircraft production in Victoria. This allowed for major expansion after the war when the company bought premises in Finsbury. Pope Products had a poor employee relations record in its early days when it used juniors aged 14–16 as machine operators and menial labour to avoid paying award wages (hence its local nickname “The Boy Farm”). Accidents were common. With growing union militancy and the Communist threat in the late 1940s, Pope Products became a model employer. It introduced a generous incentive scheme in 1953 and bonuses to workers exceeded dividends to shareholders. It set up an employees’ recreation hall and sponsored sporting activities for its workers and staff. Pope Products grew to include lawn and garden sprinklers, agricultural sprinklers, Ned Kelly repeating cap gun; woodworking tools: planes, chisels; rotary lawn mowers (endorsed by tennis champion Lew Hoad); hand and powered tumbler mowers; wringer washing machines, refrigerators, PopeAire air conditioners, Pope-Motorola television sets and hi-fi stereo cabinets, (endorsed by Jack Davey) and electric motors.



 

Jack Becker: Music Man of Adelaide with college, league and the 'world's largest' '30s boys' band

Jack Ellerton Becker became The Music Man of Adelaide in the 1930s, including forming “the world’s largest” boys’ military band. Born in Unley and educated at local public schools, Becker became apprenticed to jewellery firm S. Schlank and Co. As a sideline, Becker opened a music studio in Victoria Square, Adelaide, and started instructing in banjo, mandolin, violin and saxophone – instruments he’d taught himself . His prime interest was wind instruments and, by 16, he’d earned enough to fund a year working at Conn Musical Instrument factory in Indiana, USA. From 1926, Becker was a salesman at Allans music shop in Adelaide. He promoted fife bands for 53 schools, selling them instruments he designed. In 1932, Becker quit Allans and founded Adelaide Drum and Fife Band, with the top 200 schoolboy players. It performed week-long seasons in Adelaide's largest theatres, gave radio broadcasts, and toured Melbourne and Sydney in 1936-37. In 1932, Becker's studio became the Adelaide College of Music with  part-time teachers from leading dance bands and Adelaide Symphony Orchestra. Becker also started the Music League of South Australia that mounted On Parade, an annual extravaganza involving 1000 players. The first, in December 1939, had nine sellout performances. Later shows included Adelaide Boys Military Band, Adelaide Boys Saxophone Band, Adelaide Banjo Club, Adelaide Drum, Bugle and Baton Corps, Rhythm Pups Dance Band, Adelaide Boys Choir, solo dancers and ballets. The sale of Adelaide College of Music, with 643 students and 17 lecturers, in 1942 gave Becker his first fortune.

Adsteam collapse adds to State Bank's demise and John Martin's lost to interstate control

After the takeover of Adelaide Steamship Company, the lack of transparency of the AdSteam Group of companies, with its complex cross holdings, caused rising concern in the late 1980s. When a 25c dividend (per share) against a much lower share price was announced at the 1990 annual general meeting, investors fled  and shares crashed from over $5 to under $1 in a day. The 200 banks’ demand for return on their loans to the group forced a receiver-type arrangement in 1991 for ayselloff of Adsteam group assets. This included The Adelaide Steamship Company becoming The Residual Assco Group.. National Foods, Woolworths (in 1993, as the biggest share sale in Australia’s history), David Jones and Adsteam Marine were assets all floated on the stock exchange. But Adsteam's loss of $4.49 billion represented one of Australia's largest corporate collapses. The collapse of Adelaide Steamship – “a humiliation for the accounting profession” – did lead to major change in Australian rules. Legal fights over the Adsteam collapse continued for years. For South Australia, the effect was to lose a home-grown company that had achieved national success in several areas. Exposure of the State Bank of South Australia to AdSteam's 1980s excesses contributed to that state government entity’s collapse. The David Jones takeover of John Martin’s stores took its management focus interstate and brought the end of that South Australian icon.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback