RAA of South Australia expands services but roadside help stays central beyond century

The RAA's city branch has returned to its historical home in Hindmarsh Square.

The Royal Automobile Association (RAA) of South Australia responds to more than 600,000 calls for emergency roadside help each year, with over 90% of problems fixed at the roadside.

Emergency roadside help has remained the core of ever-expanding RAA services. The early 1950s saw a massive increase in car ownership and spiralling RAA membership, soaring past 75,000.

Road service changed with the familiar motorcycle outfits replaced by vans. Guides became patrols and used two-way radio, operating 24 hours a day out of new premises in North Adelaide.

As motoring and membership kept growing, the RAA moved into larger headquarters, built technical premises, began office and vehicle inspection centres in the suburbs, set up staffed offices in major country areas and started its march into the computer age. In the 1980s, the mapping department moved from pen-and-ink drawing to scribing and on to computer mapping.

RAA was the first motoring organisation in the world with a battery replacement service and Australia’s first to produce a computer CD with touring information.
Such innovations built on established services: 24-hour emergency breakdown, vehicle inspection, motoring advocacy, road safety, legal services, technical advice, travel services, security, tour planning, accommodation booking and insurance.

Since RAA’s 100th anniversary in 2003, it has continued to improve and modernise, with new headquarters at Mile End. In 2009, the city branch returned to its historical and sentimental home in Hindmarsh Square.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

From saddlery in 1859, Holden's grabs 20th Century chance to make bodies for US car giants

The Holden story began in 1856 when, James Alexander Holden who emigrated from England in 1852, set up J.A. Holden & Co saddlery business in Adelaide.
In 1885, German-born Henry Frederick Frost joined the business which became Holden & Frost Ltd. Edward Holden, James' grandson, brought an interest in automobiles to the company in 1905. In 1908, Holden & Frost moved into minor repairs to car upholstery. It began making complete motorcycle sidecar bodies in 1913, and Edward experimented with fitting bodies to different carriages. After 1917, wartime trade restrictions led the company to start full-scale production of vehicle body shells. J.A. Holden founded a new company in 1919, Holden's Motor Body Builders (HMBB) specialising in car bodies and using a building on King William Street. By 1923, HMBB were producing 12,000 units per year. HMBB was the first company to assemble bodies for Ford Australia, until its Geelong plant was ready. From 1924, HMBB exclusively supplied car bodies for GM in Australia, making them at the new Woodville plant These bodies suited imported chassis from makers such as Chevrolet and Dodge. In 1926, General Motors (Australia) had assembly plants in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia and Birkenhead, South Australia, using bodies produced by HMBB Builders and imported chassis. General Motors bought HMBB in 1931 and merged it with General Motors (Australia) Pty Ltd to form General Motors-Holden's Ltd (GM-H).

Holden's goes from a saddlery in 1856 to making car bodies for American giants

The Holden story began in 1856 when James Alexander Holden set up a saddlery business in Adelaide. In 1885, German-born Henry Frederick Frost joined the business which become Holden & Frost and moved into minor repairs to car upholstery. Holden in 1919 became Holden's Motor Body Builders (HMBB), specialising in car bodies and using a building on King William Street. By 1923, HMBB was producing 12,000 units per year, for Ford and then exclusively for General Motors. 
 

Bicycles banned from Adelaide footpaths in 1874 as the popularity of cycling sweeps the city

Bicycles were so popular in Adelaide by 1874 that they were banned from footpaths. South Australia first experienced North American and European velocipedes or “boneshakers" in the 1860s. After the penny farthings, the first safety bicycle – smaller wheels and pneumatic tyres – arrived in the 1880s. Penny-farthing riders formed racing and recreational clubs, with members wearing military-like uniforms. By 1888, Adelaide had four racing clubs, including the South Australia Bicycle Club and the Norwood Cycling Club. The cycling craze grew in the 1890s many clubs affiliated with South Australia League of Wheelmen, including Adelaide, Arid, Gawler, Norwood, Great Northern, Mount Gambier, Naracoorte, North Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Port Augusta, Port Pirie, Railway, Holdfast Bay, Northern Areas, Red Bird, Jamestown, South Australian, Mannum, Parkside, Southern Districts, Melrose and West Torrens. The League of Wheelmen’s magazine, the SA Cyclist, started in 1896, described social cycling events such as the Monster Cycle Parade to Henley Beach in May 1897 involved 11 clubs and visitors.Cyclists left in club order from North Terrace, Adelaide, at 2.45. Sports at the beach included tug of war. Tea at 5pm was a shilling a head. A hall was booked for an evening of music. North Adelaide club’s annual strawberry picnic involved a run from North Adelaide via Norwood to Glen Osmond and then to Smiths Garden. A paper chase in 1897 took in Gilberton, Medindie, Botanic Park, Norwood and Marryatville.

O-Bahn guided busway a novel addition in 1986 to Adelaide transport via a tortuous decision path

O-Bahn guided busway, opened in 1986, from Adelaide’s city centre to its north-eastern suburbs, had a torturous gestation. With rapid growth in suburban Tea Tree Gully (2,500 in 1954; 35,000 by 1971), land along River Torrens, originally bought for the Modbury freeway under the abandoned MATS (Metropolitan Adelaide Transport Study), was proposed as the route for a branch of Adelaide rail network. A North East Adelaide Public Transport Review chose light rail or a busway as more viable. The state government decided to extend Glenelg tram beyond Victoria Square and through parklands to the Modbury corridor. Adelaide City Council joined broad opposition to the project, saying it interfered with the city layout. The government altered the plan to put the line underground at big cost. Residents in inner suburbs such as St Peters had concerns about noise and disrupting Torrens Gorge. The light rail project was halted in 1980 after premier David Tonkin appointed an opponent, Michael Wilson, as transport minister. The government sent experts to look at an innovative O-Bahn (omnibus/bahn or path) guided bus developed in West Germany by Daimler-Benz for tram tunnels in Essen. State Transport Authority engineers saw O-Bahn’s advantages (less land, less noise, faster, cheaper). Plans were drawn up for 12 kilometres (initially, only three). A new government in 1982 brought uncertainty but premier John Bannon continued with Stage 1 (City to Paradise) and in 1986 Stage 2 (Paradise to Tea Tree Plaza). The O-Bahn had more than four million passenger trips in Stage 1 in 1986. 

The 'mosquito fleet' of ketches vital to South Australia's earliest city-country colonial trade

A “mosquito fleet” of mainly ketches was integral, essential and unique to South Australia's early transport history. The small vessels (ketches, schooners, cutters) were the only link between city and country before road and rail arrived. They carried grain and minerals to the city and anything from machinery to groceries to rural ports. The fast and handy ketch adopted in South Australia was a shallow-draught rigged sailing ship, sailed by a small crew (three being common). Most ketches came from timber-rich Tasmania, where they varied Thames barges with centre boards instead of lee boards, and had a large sail area across multiple sails. The wooden ketches were flat bottomed, for South Australia’s shallow tidal gulf ports. The ketches benefited from factors such as the 1860-75 Wallaroo and Moonta copper mines boom and the breakup of large pastoral properties on the peninsulas that increased settlements, ports and landing places. Railways before 1879 were eight unconnected systems linking inland regions to the coast. During the 1880s-90s peak, more than 70 ketches and schooners traded out of Port Adelaide. The smaller ketches became the Gulf Fleet, trading in St Vincent's Gulf.  The larger and more seaworthy Coastal Fleet went all over South Australia and interstate. They also worked the grain ports in Spencer Gulf and joined up with windjammers at Port Victoria and the other larger ports. Rail and road competition cut the ketches fleet in the 20th Century but six still operated in 1970: motor vessels Accolade, Troubridge, Ulonga and Nelcelbee, and sailing ships One and All and the Falie.

 

Torrens linear park, Mike Turtur and coast main Adelaide metro car-free bike paths

Adelaide metropolitan area has some long bike paths free of motor traffic.  The Torrens Linear Park cycle path is shared with walkers who can use a trail that runs the 30 km lengthof the River Torrens  from Gorge Road, Athelstone, in the north-eastern suburbs, through the northern parklands of the City of Adelaide, to the river mouth at Henley Beach in the west. The linear park was completed in 1997 as the first of its kind in Australia. The state government has worked with six suburban councils on a Coast Park – a 70km walking and cycling path along the metropolitan coastline from North Haven to Sellicks Beach. The Mike Turtur Bikeway is the busiest cycling commuter route in Adelaide. In runs from South Terrace in the city and follows the tramline route to Glenelg. The Southern Veloway runs from the intersection of Marion and South roads in the Adelaide suburb of Darlington out to Old Reynella, where it joins onto the Marino-Willunga Rail Trail. Beyond the metropolitan area are off-road trails such as the 54km Riesling and Rattler running through the award-winning Clare Valley wine region. The Amy Gillett rail trail follows the former Mount Pleasant railway line from Oakbank and Woodside in the Adelaide Hills through to the Barossa Valley.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback