William Muirden gives broad approach to commercial studies; WEA courses boom

Muirden business college in King William Street south, Adelaide.

William Muirden, founder of Muirden College, still operating in King William Street, Adelaide, brought the benefits of a broader education to commercial studies.
In 1892, Scottish-born Muirden took over the Adelaide Shorthand Institute, the city’s first business college (1887) from his brother Alexander.

Muirden and William Hogg later formed the Shorthand and Business Training Academy. From 1895, it began teaching country students via correspondence.
In 1900, Muirden started his own business college with core subjects such as shorthand, bookkeeping and typing. But his success in getting students into 90% of Adelaide businesses and into the federal and state public service was to include general subjects into his curriculum.

From 1913-34, Muirden published his Commonwealth Series on grammar, spelling, commercial practice etc. It was used by students for public exams all over Australia. He formed William Muirden Book Club and belonged to Wayville Literary Society.

In 1914, Muirden, as a strong advocate for commercial education to be treated as academic subject, was sent by the state government to inquire into commercial and technical education in Britain and Europe.

The Workers’ Educational Association (WEA) in South Australia in 2012 claimed to be Australia's largest non-government adult community education organisation.
It was formed in 1914 after a visit to Australia by its English founders Albert and Francis Mansbridge. The aim was for workingmen to “undertake social and political studies, equipping them to become effective leaders of working-class movements”.

Links to Adelaide University ended in 1957-58 when WEA opened a teaching centre on South Terrace and larger premises in Angas Street in 1983 as it moved to bigger variety of studies and courses.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Cibo Espresso starts an Adelaide revolution with an authentic Italian coffee experience

Cibo Espresso created Adelaide’s coffee revolution in 2000 with its first outlet on the corner of Frome and Rundle streets. Cibo expanded to other outlets as it won the city over to an authentic Italian coffee experience that made outside coffee shop chain struggle. Cibo’s founders, Roberto Cardone, Salvatore Pepe, Angelo Inglese and Claudio Ferraro, had become renowned for the Italian experience they presented at their CIBO Ristorante in O’Connell Street, North Adelaide, from 1996.

 

Adolph von Treuer a stalwart of Adelaide business, education and music from 1855

Adolph von Treuer become one of German community’s most prominent citizens through his work in business, education and music. Born in Wartzburg, Bavaria, and educated at the University of Dorpat, von Treuer came to Australia in 1855. While learning English, he taught languages in private schools, walking to and from his home in Magill to the city every day. Von Treuer became a clerk at the South Australian Railways and later transferred to the post office. From the 1860s, he became confidential manager for the rest of his life to businessman Robert Barr Smith. Von Treuer became consul in Adelaide for Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Empire. He served on the German Council from 1866-1883. He was prime mover in organising a torchight procession to honour governor Richard Graves MacDonnell who was a great admirer of the German South Australians. He was one of the original members of the South Australian Council of Education and a founding member of the University of Adelaide where he was given a law degree ad eundem gradum. In music, von Treur was a prominent member of  the Adelaide Liedertafel and was president of the Adelaide Orpheus Society.


 

Lancelot Stirling a politician, businessman, polo player, fox hunter and racing identity

Grazier (John) Lancelot Stirling was president of South Australia’s Legislative Council for a record 1901-32 term. He was the son of Edward Stirling, who became a wealthy partner in the Wallaroo and Moonta Copper Mines. Lancelot Stirling was educated at St Peter’s College and Trinity College, Cambridge. Besides being a pastoralist and politician, he had a life-long interest in sport including polo. He was master of Adelaide Hounds fox-hunting club and well known at racing meetings.

Luther Scammell builds Francis Faulding 1840s vision for an Adelaide wholesale pharmacy

F. H. Faulding & Co pharmaceutical company started as a pharmacy shop opened by Francis Hardey Faulding at 5 Rundle Street, Adelaide, in 1845. With the pharmacy flourishing, Faulding bought a warehouse in Clarence Place for its manufacturing and wholesale arms. In 1861, he partnered with another Yorkshireman, Luther Scammell, who’d trained at Guy’s Hospital, London, and arrived in Adelaide in 1849 to practise medicine at Burra mine. Scammell became sole owner after Faulding died without children in 1868. He appointed Philip Dakers as the company's London buyer and, in 1876, built a warehouse in King William Street, Adelaide, later expanding to James Place. He was forced to retire in 1889 when the Bank of Adelaide threatened foreclosure after failed mining and pastoral speculations. Sons Luther and William bought the manufacturing and wholesaling operations in 1888; its shops were sold to John White to cut debt. The company expanded to Perth and Sydney. In 1921, Faulding & Co. became a private company, with Luther Scammell as chairman and managing director. In 1935, elder son Alfred took over. In 1971, Faulding's bought Adelaide's Jasol Chemical Products. Dr Ed Tweddell became managing director in 1988 and, with CSIRO, developed drugs under the Keating government’s “Factor f” scheme. In 1999, Fauldings were promised $40 million in federal development funding. Faulding Pharmaceuticals expanded in the northern hemisphere but, in 2001, it was taken over by the Mayne Nickless group as Mayne Pharma – bought out in 2007 by US Hospira conglomerate. 

James Martin's 100 locomotives mark peak of industry in South Australia's Gawler

James Martin’s engineering firm built 100 railway locomotives in the 1890s peak of late 19th Century industrial phase for the town of Gawler, north of Adelaide. Martin was among thousands of Cornish immigrants who, attracted by South Australia’s mining, made a special contribution to the colony. Martin’s grandfather set up a foundry in the village of Foundry, Cornwall, where James was born in 1821. Apprenticed to a millwright, Martin had little formal education but was innovative. His model for a “man engine” or lift was widely adopted to save lives in mine shafts. Martin arrived in South Australia in 1847, seeking better opportunities and relief from asthma. He worked for miller and inventor John Ridley but local legend has him moving north to Gawler in 1848 in a dray carrying his wife, furniture and tools. He felled a red gum by Galton Street and made his first lathe. As a blacksmith, he tackled anything with quality work. He began making farm implements, bullock drays and iron work. James Martin & Co. expanded to towns such as Quorn and Gladstone. In 1874, he joined with skilful Frederick May and began making mining machinery before moving into railway rolling stock. In 1888, he won a South Australia government contract of £167,000 for 52 locomotives. He built many more that steamed all over Australia. A rail line was built to his Phoenix Foundry in the heart of Gawler that, in 1898, covered 18 acres and employed 700. When Martin died in 1899, his nephew John took over James Martin & Co that declined amid a changing economy in the 1900s and was eventually absorbed by Perry Engineering.

Elders and Adelaide Steamship lead 19th Century companies onto national scene

South Australia went into 20th Century keeping alive the legacy of companies making their mark nationally and internationally. Two giants, Elder Smith & Co and Adelaide Steamship, built on the work of Thomas Elder and Robert Barr Smith, among those who benefitted from the 1840s copper boom. Other 19th Century Adelaide companies that grew to national prominence included: A.M. Bickford and Sons, F.H. Faulding, D. and J. Fowler, and William Burford and Son,
 

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback