Ten thousand feral deer estimated in South Australia in 2019; first introduced in 1880

A fallow deer buck among the expanding South Australian feral population.

About 10,000 feral deer were estimated by the state agriculture department to be in South Australia in 2019, prompting a new state government policy requiring landowners to destroy any of the animals found on their properties.

A deer control coordinator was appointed to warn landholders about the damage done by increasing numbers of the pest in other areas. Deer farmers have to identify all their deer more than 12 months old with ear tags. New deer farmers also have to build fences at least 1.9 metres tall to keep them in.

Feral deer hotspots included the south east of the state and the Adelaide Hills but the pests were also seen in low numbers in the mid north region and on the Eyre Peninsula.

Deer should not be released from captivity and keepers must notify neighbouring landholders if any escape.

Deer were first released in South Australia in 1880 for hunting. Feral deer have been eradicated from Kangaroo Island but a six species have been let loose on the mainland, with fallow and red deer the most common. They have become an agricultural, environmental and social pest. Populations of deer are expanding and invading new areas, partly due to escapes from deer farms, being deliberately introduced by recreational hunters and insufficient control of existing populations.

Deer eat native plants, trample saplings, and rub against mature plants. They compete with native wildlife and livestock for grass, and contribute to eroding creek and river systems. They can also be a road hazard. Methods for effective disposal of feral deer are limited to shooting, with commercial harvesters available. Five licensed game meat processors operate in South Australia.

The new policy for deer also applied to feral pigs. Land managers have to destroy all feral pigs on their properties and any movement, possession, release and sale of feral pigs is prohibited.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Liberal government in South Australia caught in middle of mining and agriculture stalemate

A change to the South Australian Mining Act, to remove farmers’ right of refusal for mining companies to use their land, has been put on hold after it was deferred in 2018 by four state Liberal government rural backbench MPs voting against it with the opposition Labor party. The impasse continued into 2019 when the state energy and mining department overruled its minister Dan van Holst Pellekaan’s compromise to win over the group of rebel backbenchers. The proposed Mining Act changes mirror those proposed by the former state Labor government. It was heavily criticised for being “rushed” through by the former government without holding a proper consultation with South Australian farmers. Yorke Peninsula MP Fraser Ellis, one of the rebel MPs, said the Liberal government would only “further alienate the party’s ordinary members” if it pushed through the mining legislation as it was. A meeting of the Liberal Party’s rural and regional council had also decided the government should drop the section of the bill giving mining companies power to appeal in court to access land used for cultivation. Primary Producers SA and commodity group members, Grain Producers SA and Livestock SA, couldn’t support the Mining Bill in its current format and had provided a big list of changes. They called for an independent review into South Australia’s mining laws that would examine best-practice land access in other states. South Australian Chamber of Mines and Energy chief executive Rebecca Knol said the mining industry “categorically opposes” farmers being given a right to veto mining access. 

Alexander Hay: a key figure in land reform and supporting secular compulsory education

Alexander Hay gained free passage to South Australia in 1839 and went to became a prominent merchant, pastoralist and politician. A Scot who became a devout Congregationalist, Hay worked as a “wharfer” for the South Australia Company for two years before buying land to farm at Gumeracha. As a politician, he was a key figure in land reform and promoting secular and compulsory public education. He became an Anglican, living in his Mount Breckan mansion, later in life.

 

Wallaby recovery efforts in South Australia in zoos and at their rocky habitats

Rock wallabies – yellow-footed, black-footed and brush tail – have been the focus of recovery efforts in South Australia. The yellow-footed rock wallaby colonies were drastically cut or wiped out by European settlement in semi-arid areas of South Australia (Gawler, Flinders and Olary ranges), New South Wales and south-west Queensland. Adelaide Zoo has housed yellow-footed rockwallabies since it opened in 1883. Australian Wildlife Conservancy has being working to revive the species in the central Flinders Ranges by protecting a significant population at Buckaringa Sanctuary. This has particularly concentrated on controlling the threat from goats, foxes and cats in the sanctuary and on neighbouring properties. Since 2007, Aboriginal rangers and scientists have aimed to bring back the small black-footed rock wallabies (warru) to Pukatja/Ernabella predator-free enclosure on a rocky outcrop in far north Aboriginal APY (Anangu Pitjantjatjaraka Yankuntjatjara) lands. In 2017, 40 of the species – nearly wiped out by cats, foxes and buffel grass – was reintroduced into the wild to be radio monitored. The brush-tailed rock wallaby (petrogale penicillata) was regarded as extinct in Victoria by 1916 but later rediscovered. Threats remain including feral species and lost habitat. Zoos SA at Monarto is involved with captive breeding and cross fostering of brush-tailed rock wallaby joeys in surrogate mothers' pouches. Partners include Adelaide University, Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve (ACT), Mt Rothwell Conservation and Research Centre (Victoria) and Waterfall Springs Wildlife Sanctuary (NSW).

South Australia's south east cluster of 20 water-filled ancient sinkholes a major diving attraction

South Australia’s south-east Limestone Coast region around Mount Gambier has about 50 sinkholes, one of Earth’s largest concentrations. Twenty of those sinkholes are cenotes: filled with water, because they're below the water line. The sinkholes have been formed from the Limestone Coast’s long-term exposure to ocean water and waves that have created many large caves, with their entrances blocked off by erosion and caveins. When the ceiling of the cave collapses, a sinkhole is formed. Fossil Cave (formerly The Green Waterhole), at Tantanoola, about 22 kilometres from Mount Gambier, is largely filled with water and, during the 1960s-80s, divers from the South Australian Museum, South Australian Underwater Speleological Society, Flinders University Underwater Club and Allum and Garrad first surveyed the 30-million-year old Oligocene coralline limestone site. Pleistocene subfossil material of birds and mammals, from 15,000 to 40,000 years ago, was found to a depth of about 15 metres. Access for cave diving is limited to holders of the Cave Divers Association of Australia’s advanced grade. The association has also worked closely with the fourth-generation Kilsby family whose sheep farm near Mount Gember is home to one of the deepest and clearest sinkholes, renowned worldwide. Other water-filled sinkholes near Mount Gamier include the three at Ewen Ponds, and the Little Blue Lake. Not water-filled, but another south-east sinkhole attraction, is the Umpherston, also near Mount Gambier, that has become a spectacular sunken garden.
 

John Bagshaw's wheat reaper contribution leads to Australia's first winnowing machine

John Stokes Bagshaw was recognised for making the original patterns, in 1843, for John Ridley’s The Stripper wheat reaper machine that saved South Australia early agriculture by being able to reap six acres of grain in a day.  Inspired by this success, Bagshaw invented Australia’s first winnowing machine in Australia. This replaced the old method of grain being separated from the chaff by using a flail on a hardened floor or by using horses or bullocks to walk over the grain, before it was manually sieved. Champion winnowers, as they became known, cost £17 each and Bagshaw sold more than 200 of them. Bagshaw continued to design and make much-needed agricultural machinery such as chaff cutters, corn crushers and churns.  Bagshaw, who had arrived in South Australia with his Shropshire farmer parents and family in 1838, applied his mechanical skills by setting up an agricultural implement workshop in Elizabeth Street, Adelaide, initially working on floor mills at Noarlunga, Port Noarlunga and Encounter Bay. As one of the colony’s earliest pattern makers, Bagshaw was in demand for the first foundries – and John Ridley. In 1852 Bagshaw’s eldest son, John, also a skilled engineer, and second son Thomas joined J. S. Bagshaw and Sons, later The Pioneer Works. It produced agicultural seed cleaners, baggers, threshers, graders and feed grinders. John Bagshaw was active in Anglican Holy Trinity Church on North Terrace, Adelaide; member of Adelaide Municipal Council for Gawler Ward (1870-74) and a founder of the Ancient London Order of Oddfellows in South Australia.

Deeply religious Thomas Magarey thrives as a South Australian miller/ pastoralist from 1840s

Thomas Magarey was “brought up to the milling business” during his Lancashire boyhood. At 17, with brother James, he migrated in 1842 to Nelson, New Zealand, where they joined other United Christian dissenters in building a chapel, Sunday school and temperance society. Their unity was disturbed by Anglican and Wesleyan ministers arriving, along with economic hardship. Interested by wheat imported from Adelaide, the Magarey brothers moved to South Australia in 1845. Four years later, they succeeded John Ridley as owners of Hindmarsh flour mill. Thomas Magarey built up big markets locally and overseas when he took over the business. In 1859, he leased the Naracoorte run: 87 square miles capable of carrying more than 20,000 sheep plus cattle and horses. He held smaller south-eastern properties and areas on Eyre Peninsula. Thomas Magarey is credited with a public-spiritedness in renting land at reasonable rates to struggling farmers, giving them right to buy. After his marriage to Elizabeth Verco, Magarey made his home at Noarlunga, then Hindmarsh. In 1860-63, he represented West Torrens in the House of Assembly and sat in the Legislative Council 1863-65 where he championed the pastoral industry and advocated Bible reading in public schools. James Magarey ran Gannawarra Station on Gunbower Creek (a River Murray tributary) then moved to Geelong. He drowned in 1859 in South Australia’s worst maritime disaster: the wreck of the SS Admella, near Mount Gambier. His son William James Magarey also owned flour mills at Hindmarsh and Port Pirie.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback