Devout Baptist Rosetta Birks encourages women's-vote support in the wealthier circles

Rosetta Birks (at right with Mary Lee), as featured in a tapestry to mark the centenary of the South Australian suffragist movement.    

Rosetta Jane Birks, suffragist and philanthropist, was, one of nine children of South Australian newspaper owner William Kyffin Thomas and his wife Mary Jane. The granddaughter of Mary Thomas, Rose grew up in a family that strongly supported public life and philanthropic causes.

She was a lifelong member of the evangelical Flinders Street Baptist Church, co-founded by her father. In 1879 at Glenelg, Rosetta married her sister's widower Charles Birks, a draper, and became stepmother to his six children.

Charles and Rose Birks  lived for a time in England, returning to Adelaide in 1886 when the Commercial Bank of South Australia collapsed. Charles resumed managing Charles Birks & Co store.

Rose Birks presided over several Baptist women's associations, including a mothers' union. She had joined the Ladies' Social Purity Society in 1882 and worked as treasurer of that and many philanthropic organizations. 

Regular meetings at Knutsford, the Birks' home at Glenelg, won support for women's suffrage in wealthier social circles. Rose later became treasurer of the short-lived idealistic and educational Women's League.

Rose became a board member of the Adelaide Hospital and the Queen's (maternity) Home. In 1902, she helped to found of the South Australian branch of the National Council of Women.

The high point of her work for girls was within the Young Women's Christian Association and she is credited with modernising the Australasian movement.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Private schools grow fastest: St Peter's, Prince Alfred, Wilderness, Pembroke in top ranks

Private (94 independent, 103 Catholic) schools enrolments in South Australia have grown three times faster than in public schools in the 21st Century. Enrolments in Catholic schools peaked in 2013 at 48,557 but dropped to 46,806 by 2016 and were overtaken by independents schools in that year. In recent rankings of Adelaide’s private schools, Wilderness at Medindie has been top, followed by St Peter’s College, Pembroke School, St Peters Collegiate Girls School, Walford Anglican School for Girls, Prince Alfred College, St Ignatius College, Athelstone; Seymour College, Mercedes College and Pedare Christian College.

 

Mary MacKillop’s caring for the poor encouraged by the liberal strain in Adelaide Protestantism

Catholic nun Mary MacKillop’s work thrived with support from the liberal strain within South Australia’s Protestant Christianity, epitomised by her friendship with Presbyterian Joanna Barr Smith. Poverty was central to the rule of life for MacKillop's Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart order that, starting with a school at Yankalilla in 1867, set up schools, orphanages and institutions throughout Australia.That rule of life led to a clash with the Roman Catholic church bishops.

North Adelaide's early divide into wealthy upper/lower Irishtown for the working class

North Adelaide was laid out by William Light in 1837 as a satellite of the Adelaide city square mile with 341 acre blocks surrounded by parklands. It soon became a dormitory suburb for the social elite wealthy business and professional men who built large mansions, mostly in upper North Adelaide. Lower North Adelaide, 96 acres including Melbourne Street, Stanley Street and MacKinnon Parade, sometimes called Irishtown, tended to be inhabited by labouring classes, artisans and tradesmen in small cottages. Light also squeezed in more town acres along the North Adelaide ridge top fronting Montefiore Hill, the eastern end of Strangways Terrace and Barnard Street, and more town acres to the west of Hill Street. Brougham Place, North Adelaide, overlooking the city, gained a row of mansions in the early 20th Century for wealthy identities such as brewer William Henry Beaglehole, wine and spirit merchant George Milne, Goolgardie Gold mining investor Edwin Dalton, hotelier Arthur Waterhouse and merchant Charles Henry Goode. The homes of wealthier German settlers add to the large stock of the North Adelaide heritage buildings that extends to hotels and churches such as Brougham Place Uniting. An alluvial clay bed south of Melbourne Street and east of Jerningham Street provided bricks for several homes such as the former Keith Sheridan Theatre in Mackinnon Parade, the former Ebenezer Chapel off Brougham Court and Buffalo Cottage in Finniss Street. Development of North Adelaide was held up until 1856 when the first flood-proof link across the River Torrens to the city centre was built.

Molly Byrne, Anne Levy lead Labor women into House of Assembly and Legislative Council

In 1965, Molly Byrne led the way for South Australian Labor female parliamentarians as a member of the House of Assembly for the seat of Tea Tree Gully. Anne Levy in 1975 was first Labor woman in the Legislative Council and, in 1986, its president. This made her the first presiding office of any house of parliament in Australia. Barbara Wiese (1985) was the first Labor woman and Legislative Council member to be a minister, from 1985 to 1994, mainly in the tourism portfolio.

Among many causes, Catherine Helen Spence heads clothing company with good conditions

Another leading South Australian women's suffrage campaigner, Catherine Helen Spence was active in many causes. She chaired the all-female South Australian Co-operative Clothing Co., Adelaide's first electric-powered clothing factory, set up in 1902, to protect women workers from being exploited in the “sweating” system. She was a prime mover, with Caroline Emily Clark, of the Boarding-out Society, aimed at removing destitute children from the asylum into approved families.

Advanced School the first public secondary school for girls in Australia from 1879

Building on health reformer Dr Allan Campbell's initial proposal, Catherine Helen Spence and John Anderson Hartley were prime movers in creating the Advanced School for Girls in 1879. This first public secondary school for girls in Australia was 40 years ahead of the first public secondary school for boys in South Australia. The Education Act 1875, making education compulsory, acknowledged women’s changing role and the pressing need for well-educated teachers. The Advanced School for Girls had a curriculum leading to matriculation for university. Until 1898, all University of Adelaide female graduates were former Advanced School students.
 

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback