Ping Monitor concept by Adelaide company to listen and give alert on wind turbine damage

The Ping Monitor can pick up damage to the blades of a wind turbine by listening to its acoustic signature.
Image courtesy The Lead South Australia

The Ping Monitor, developed by an Adelaide startup company, is a world-first in applying aero-acoustic analysis to help continually detect wind turbine blade damage.

There are about 400,000 active wind turbines in the world with blades up to 80-metres long that spin up to 300km/h. The 3800 blade failures globally per year  – from causes such as lightning strikes, hail, sand, rain, wind and accelerated wear in coastal environments – cost up to $5 billion.

The Ping Monitor has the potential to replace or reduce drones and maintenance crews that routinely inspect wind turbines, sometimes long after a problem has occurred. The acoustic monitor has been developed into solar-powered version that’s fixed near the base of the wind turbine. This 2.0 version benefits from work between Ping and South Australian IoT (Internet of Things) satellite communications company Myriota, enabling the acoustic monitor to transmit data into the cloud from almost anywhere on Earth.

The key piece of technology is the algorithm that can rate the health of the turbine based on its acoustic signature. Ping’s listening devices would monitor the health of wind turbines and use satellite communication to transmit data.

Ping was awarded a $170,000 Australian Government accelerating commercialisation grant to help trial, upscale, connect and launch its device on domestic and international markets after six years in research and development. Its intelligent listening platform could also be applied to a whole range of scenarios such as surveillance, listening for aircraft or drones or monitoring the presence of predators such as wild dogs on farms.

Ping has been part of the first cohort of the venture catalyst space program run by the University of South Australia at its innovation and collaboration centre.

* Information from The Lead South Australia.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Alfred Muller Simpson becomes Adelaide's great manufacturing innovator from 1864

Alfred Muller Simpson started an era of manufacturing innovation that lasted more than a century from 1864 when he became partner in the Adelaide business started by his father John. John Simpson arrived in Adelaide in 1849, having been apprenticed in 1820 in London as a tin-plate worker, and also studying science and chemistry, but ending up running a hatter business after joining his brother in a tailoring firm. Simpson was forced to migrate after a fire and the railway boom collapse ruined his business. After several unsuccessful ventures in Adelaide and twice visiting the goldfields while Sarah gave piano lessons, in 1853 John Simpson turned to tinsmithing, making pots and pans and supplying cans for the Glen Ewin jam factory. In 1862, he leased premises in Gawler Place, Adelaide. His son Alfred Muller Simpson, apprenticed in 1857 and as partner in 1864, took his father’s firm beyond its goods range from jam tins to snuff scoops. The innovative younger Simpson, one of the first members of the South Australian Chamber of Manufactures, introduced products such as fire-proof safes, bedsteads, japanned ware, colonial ovens and gas stoves. The fire- and thief-resistant Simpson safes became an early speciality of the firm and came to be used in offices and banks throughout South Australia and interstate. In 1878, Alfred Muller Simpson visited the Paris Universal Exhibition, which prompted him to mechanise his plants. He brought an American double-action press back to Adelaide along with ideas for new products and refining existing one. Under him, the firm continued to expand.

South Australian CCT Energy Storage firm produces the world-first TED thermal battery

South Australia’s CCT Energy Storage launched the world’s first working thermal battery in 2019. The TED (Thermal Energy Device), battery accepts any form of electrical input to convert and store energy as latent heat. This makes it versatile, affordable and long-lasting. TED can be scaled to power remote communities, businesses, micro grids, rail signalling or telecommunication, as a substitute for diesel generation. CCT Energy Storage originated in 2011 in small factory in the southern Adelaide suburb of Lonsdae when a tenacious group of scientists and engineers began researching, developing and designing a large-scale thermal battery to revolutionise the market for global renewable energy. The cutting-edge technology and its potential grew exponentially which led to Climate Change Technologies being formed as a private South Australian company in 2011 and a working scale prototype in 2012 from more than $6 million in research and development. In 2019, the company's Lonsdale plant was set to make 10 units for commercial customers that year and production expected to rise to 200 by 2020. CCT Energy Storage’s thermal battery's unique phase-change material that stores energy at more than 12 times the energy density of a lead acid battery. The stored energy can be extracted from the thermal battery via a heat engine, to provide an electricity supply when needed. The thermal battery is suitable for renewable and non-renewable energy sources. Climate Change Technologies has found a Swedish partner MIBA Solutions to make and distribute TED in Europe.

Tesla big battery from December 2017 ends very costly reliance on gas plants via FCAS

October 2018 brought an end to a requirement for 35MW of South Australia’s power to be provided by local frequency and ancillary services (FCAS) when there was risk of the state’s grid separating from the rest of the national grid. Introduced in late 2015, the 35MW requirement was designed to ensure that the state’s grid – with a high percentage of renewable energy – could operate securely by itself. Up to four major gas generators, the sole providers of FCAS in South Australia, charged price rises of nearly 100-fold to the market cap of $14,000/MWh when the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) made the precautionary call for local backup. This sent the cost of FCAS for such events up to $6 million a day. The total cost from several dozen events totalled $109 million in 2016-17, with costs passed on to wind farms and other big energy consumers. On a single day in October 2016, the FCAS within South Australia exceeded $4.5 million. The reliance on the gas generators was broken with the entry of the Tesla 129MW battery and its Hornsdale Power Reserve wind farm becoming FCAS providers in December 2017. In the first quarter of 2018, the cost of FCAS fell by nearly $33 million or 57%, AEMO said, largely because of the Tesla big battery. Engineering and advisory firm Aurecon’s analysis showed the sharp spikes in FCAS prices during bottlenecks on the network in 2016-17 were markedly absent in 2018 despite similar grid constraints, while prices overall were about 75% lower on average.

Vivian Lewis builds its first motorcycle and car; South Australia leads on registration, licences

Vivian Lewis produced the first petrol-driven motor car made in South Australia in 1900. He also built the first South Australian motorcycle in 1899. Lewis’s business was boosted by the visit to Adelaide in 1898 by Frenchwoman Anthelmina Serpolette who was promoting a petrol-driven motor tricycle for the Gladiator Cycle Company. Vivian Lewis’s workshop was called upon to fix Serpollete’s tricycle when it refused to go on the day before she was engaged to appear at the Ariel bicycle race meeting at the Jubilee Oval. Originally an importer and maker of bicycles, The Lewis Cycle and Motor Works’ said the first car it built was “manufactured entirely at the Lewis works” but the local content in later cars under the “Lewis” brand isn’t known. By 1907, the business was busy importing and manufacturing bicycles and manufacturing Lewis motorcycles. One in eight motorcycles on the road in South Australia in 1915 was a Lewis – and importing and retailing motor cars. With World War I and the loss of its founders Tom O’Grady and Vivian Lewis, the Vivian Lewis company took a different direction towards being a car dealership in the 1920s. Being flat, dry and relatively prosperous, with a limited rail network, South Australia took up the motor car quicker than other states. Australia’s first registration and licensing system was started in South Australia during 1906 and, by 1910, 1350 cars (and more motor cycles) were registered.

Alfred Traeger's two-way radio with pedal power enables flying doctor/school of the air

The two-way-radio powered by a pedal-operated generator was invented by Alfred Traeger in 1927 and became the central to the success of the Royal Flying Doctor Service and long-distance School of the Air education in the Australian outback. Traeger, ''curious, patient, precise”, studied mechanical and electrical engineering at South Australian School of Mines and Industries (1912-15). Always intrigued by radio, he obtained an amateur operator's licence and built his first pedal transmitter-receiver. He was contacted by flying doctor service founder John Flynn to assist in experiments to give remote outback families radio access to medical treatment. Flynn and Traeger carried out wireless experiments in outback areas, and transmitted Australia's first radio telegram. But copper oxide Edison batteries they used proved unsuitable for remote homes. Traeger developed a pedal generator to power a Morse cord wireless set. He added a typewriter keyboard enabling unskilled operators to type a message in plain language and have it transmitted in Morse. In 1939, Traeger's set dispensed with pedals and adopted a vibrator unit. Traeger also suggested the outback school of the air, later started by Adelaide’s Adelaide Meithke. With his brother and father, he founded Traeger Transceivers and exported his radios. In 1962, pedal sets went to Nigeria; in 1970, he provided an educational radio network for Canada. Traeger continued inventing. He designed a gas-turbine-driven car and used solar power to convert salt water to fresh water.

Adelaide University trio in 1959 opens way for Codan as global leader in electronic links

Codan is an international company developing rugged electronics solutions for government, corporate, NGO and consumer markets across the globe. It originated in 1959 from Adelaide University friends Alastair Wood, Ian Wall and Jim Bettison setting up EILCO (Electronics, Instrument and Lighting Company) to tackle challenges in electronics engineering. Codan now makes and supplies communications, metal detection and mining technology, headquartered at Mawson Lakes in Adelaide. Codan (then EILCO) released its first high-frequency radio – a Type 6104 HF transceiver in 1961 for the School of the Air operating in the Australian outback. In 1980, Codan equipment was chosen by the United Nations to support its relief efforts in Uganda, cementing Codan as the leading global supplier of high-frequency communications to humanitarian organisations. Codan now has a global footprint, with offices in the US, Canada, Ireland, United Arab emirates, South Africa and China. Its customers include some of the world’s largest aid and humanitarian organisations, mining companies, security and military groups and governments. Its products are sold in more than 150 countries, with exports making up about 85% of revenue, through a global network of dealers, distributors and agents. Publicly floated in 2003, Codan bought Minelab Electronics in 2008, supplier of world’s best hand-held metal detection technology. Minetec and Daniels Electronics were added to the Codan Group in 2012, cementing its world-class offerings in radio communications, metal detection and tracking solutions.

 

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback