Nippy's adapts to make its juice an icon but Berri Juices falls to fate of foreign ownership

Nippy's Fruit Juices was founded by Alic Knispel in the 1930s in the Riverland.

Nippy's Fruit Juices is a 100% South Australian family that has become Australia’s largest supplier of fresh fruit juices and become a state icon.

Nippy’s was founded by Alic Knispel in the 1930s. The Knispel family originally settled in the Barossa Valley but, as a young teen, Alic left the family homestead, and travelled to the Riverland where he bought a mixed fruit property. He began to concentrate on growing citrus fruits rather than other fruits. Alic decided to packing them his own and his neighbours’ oranges. He also successfully sold his crop into the Adelaide fruit and vegetable market up until the 1960s.

This success was halted when the state government set up a citrus board to fix prices and license packers, growers and resellers. Alic’s operation was halted by being within a metropolitan area, which wasn’t allowed by the citrus board. When the Knispel family opened a second packing house outside the metropolitan area but found themselves with surplus juice-quality oranges. This led to the idea to turn them into juice. It expanded from a small kitchen operation to a major business known as Nippy’s, after a nickname for the family. got from their family name.
Nippy’s product range has expended beyond fruit juices to flavoured dairy drinks and fruit-flavoured mineral waters.

Berri Juices (Berri Ltd) was formed in 1943 using fruit that dominated the Riverland economy.

But Berri Juices shared the fate of South Australian companies such as Farmers Union and Dairy Vale when they were taken over by National Foods, who closed the Berri factory in 2010 and moved its juice production out of the region.

The Berri company entity, with brands such as Australian Fresh, Daily Juice and Just Juice, was bought back from National Foods and survived until Philippines-based San Miguel achieved 100% ownership.

 

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Teetotal in World War I, Tom Playford later insists on letting only ex Diggers drink at night

As a teetotal member of the 27th Battalion, Tom Playford was regularly assigned to picket duty, trying to keep order among drunken Australian soldiers also frequenting the brothels of Cairo in 1915. Playford served in World War I at Gallipoli for three months and on the western front, in the battles of Pozières, where he was promoted to corporal in 1916, the Somme and Flers. A German machine-gun bullet at Flers shattered when it hit his belt buckle, opening a large cavity in his chest and shredding his abdomen. Evacuated to England, he had many operations and, while convalescing, read English history. He rejoined his battalion in 1917, fighting at Passchendaele, Ville-sur-Ancre, Hamel and Amiens. He was made second lieutenant in 1919 and promoted later to lieutenant before returning to Adelaide. Playford suffered pain caused through life from the 30 pieces of shrapnel still in his body. As a member of the South Australian parliament in 1934, Playford succeeded with a private member’s bill allowing the Returned Sailors’ and Soldiers’ Imperial League of Australia to sell liquor in its clubs from 8am until 11pm except on Sundays, Good Friday and Christmas Day. This was done, despite opposition from the premier and many others. Although he conceded that ex-servicemen’s evening gatherings needed drink, the drunkenness Playford had seen in Britain (1917-19) convinced him to oppose any easing of lawful access to alcohol for the poor. From 1935, he opposed all moves to extend hotel trading hours. Six o’clock closing of pubs remained law in South Australia until 1967.

Snobs (small investors) outdo wealthy Nobs in dividends from the Burra copper mines

After copper was found at Burra Burra in 1845, wealthy capitalists called the Nobs (including John Grainger, Charles Bagot and Francis Dutton) bought the southern half of the mine area and a group of smaller investors – shopkeepers and merchants of the South Australian Mining Association (the Snobs) – took the northern half that proved the much more productive. The South Australian Mining Association, run by secretary Henry Ayers, had jumped quickly into action at its Burra Burra northern mine. It soon had 10 Cornish miners, a blacksmith and a captain on its site and began blasting in September 1845. Bullock drays loaded with the red copper oxide ore were soon heading to Port Adelaide. Over the mine's 32 years, fewer than than 100 shareholders of the South Australian Mining Association shared a then-huge £826,586 in mining dividends. The economy of South Australia, in the doldrums since governor George Grey had arrived in 1841, recovered completely.

 

George Fife Angas the model of middle class pious Dissent with capitalist drive

George Fife Angas, the first chairman of the South Australian Company, epitomises the marriage of middle class pious Dissent with capitalism. Although a successful businessman, Angas hoped a South Australian colony would "provide a place of refuge for Pious Dissenters of Great Britain, who could in their new home discharge their consciences before God in civil and religious duties without any disabilities”. This was a hope for middle-class freedom of religion and opportunity.

 

John Ridley's stripper machine a revolution and saviour of South Australian harvests

John Ridley, miller and preacher, is best known for inventing in South Australia the stripper machine that removed the heads of grain. Born in Country Durham, England, Ridley, at 15, took over the milling business of his father who’d died when his son was five. With little formal education, he had a love of books, especially on science and technology. He began church preaching at 18. After his mother's death in 1835, Ridley sailed for South Australia with his wife and two infant children, arriving in 1840. He bought land at Hindmarsh near Adelaide, took over the South Australian Company flour mill, installed the first steam engine (a Watt’s beam) in South Australia to cut wood and grind meal, and began growing wheat at Hindmarsh. Anticipating the heavy spending by the colony’s governor George Gawler would lead to both depression and more rural production, Ridley sought grain for his mill, bought land, and invested in Burra copper mining. By 1843, the colony's wheat crop threatened to exceed the harvest workforce. Ridley devised a way to harvesti wheat with a reaper. His machine, built in John Stokes Bagshaw's factory, was tested in 1843 on Ridley's tenant’s crop, reaping 70 acres in a week. He improved the machine and, by 1850, more than 50 were operating in the colony and others exported. Although Ridley’s returns from the harvesting machine were large, they were meagre compared with dividends from shares in Burra copper mine, his flour mill and land investments. He and his family returned to England where indulged “his eccentric enthusiasm to invention and religion”.

Robert Barr Smith and Thomas Elder help start Adelaide Steamship: a national shipping giant

Adelaide Steamship Company – a national shipping giant – was started by South Australian businessmen, including Robert Barr Smith, Thomas Elder and Andrew Tennant, in 1875. It aimed to control goods transport between Adelaide and Melbourne and to provide an efficient passenger service. Adelaide Steamship joined with Spencer's Gulf Steamship in 1882 to form a fleet that circled the coast from Derby in Western Australia to Cairns in Queensland. Its ships were supported by offices in almost every major Australian port. By World War II, the company owned 30 ships. After the war, declining trade forced it to diversify into towage, shipbuilding, and carrying salt, coal and sugar. During the 1940s and after the war, declining trade forced the company to diversify into towage, shipbuilding, and carrying salt, coal and sugar. Adelaide Steamship’s interstate fleet merged in 1964 with McIlwraith McEacharn in a new company, Associated Steamships, with Adelaide Steamship holding 40%. The new company developed the world's first purpose-built container ship, MV Kooringa. Bulkships Ltd, 40% owned by Adelaide Steamship, bought all shares in Associated Steamship in 1968. In 1977, the company's interest in Bulkships was sold and Adelaide Steamship Company ended its link with ships. But the company kept its interests in tug boats and, by the late 1980s, Adelaide Steamship was one of Australia’s oldest surviving industrial companies.

Emerging giant, South Australian Brewing Co., in 1893 set to dominate beer/hotels business

South Australian Brewing, Malting & Wine & Spirit Co., emerging in 1888 from amalgamating Edwin Smith’s Kent Town and William Knox Simms’ West End breweries and the wine and spirit business of Rounsevell & Simms, was a major development in the brewing industry. South Australian Brewing, Malting & Wine & Spirit Co. listed on the stock exchange of Adelaide. It sold the wine and spirit business to two Adelaide wine merchants, A.E. & F. Tolley and Milne & Co. in 1893 and became South Australian Brewing Co. Ltd. The new company bought breweries in Laura and Port Augusta in 1893 and closed them in 1893 and 1898. Walkerville Co-operative Brewing Co. Ltd, originally operating at Walkerville, took over the Torrenside Brewery at Thebarton (established in 1886 by the Ware brothers) in 1898. Walkerville Coop was to become South Australian Brewing's main competitor. Lion Brewery in North Adelaide was the other major competitor, but it ceased brewing in 1914. Other smaller breweries were finding it increasingly difficult to survive. Poor brewing practices, competition from larger city breweries that took advantage of the expanding railway system, the Beer Duty Act 1894 which exacted a duty of two pence per imperial gallon (2d/4.5L), and, following federation, brewer’s licences and regulations associated with the commonwealth government’s Beer Excise Act 1901 resulted in more brewery closures in the city, suburbs and country.

 

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback