MTT tries trolley buses as competition mounts; finances halt Adelaide tram line extensions

A 1926 Garford double decker bus used by the Municipal Tramways Trust (MTT).
Displayed at National Motor Museum, Birdwood.

From 1915, the South Australian government's Municipal Tramways Trust (MTT) had to compete against unregulated private buses that often travelled ahead of the trams on the same route to steal fares.

The MTT countered by opening its own motor bus routes from 1925. The South Australian government began regulating buses within the state in 1927 but some private operators used a line in the Australian Constitution to their advantage. By notionally marking each ticket as a fare from the pickup point to Murrayville, Victoria (but allowing passengers to board or alight sooner) companies avoided having to abide by the regulation.

Up until the end of World War I, most Adelaideans depended on public transport for daily journeys but the growth of private cars decreased passenger numbers.
The MTT tried novel enterprises to bring in revenue. In 1929, cars 274 and 275 were fitted with additional air brake pipes to allowing them to haul horse transport cars between the city and Morphettville racecourse on the Glenelg line.

From the start of the Depression until the closure of the network, only one batch of trams was bought by the MTT.

During the Depression, the MTT needed to expand services but lack of finance prevented laying new tracks. It decided to trial trolleybuses and a converted petrol bus began running experimentally on the Payneham to Paradise tram line during the off-peak in May 1932. The trial concluded in 1934, with trams resuming operation.

The trial was judged a success and the MTT planned its first permanent trolley bus line. In 1937, the new trolley bus  service start from Light Square in the Adelaide CBD to Tusmore. In 1938, services extended to Port Adelade, Semaphore and Large Bay.

Petrol rationing during World War II boosted passenger numbers again. Patronage remained higher than before the war until rationing was discontinued in 1951.

Meanwhile, due to lack of funds, there was minimal maintenance of the tram network during World War II and post-war shortages prevented new trams being bought.


Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Nemer and McGee cases spark clash between state government, the public and judiciary

The Nemer and McGee cases in the early 21st Century set off a major upheaval in the relationship between the state government and the judiciary, with many side issues raised including the independence of the director of public prosecutions, the appointment of Queen’s Counsel, plea bargaining and sentencing. The upheaval was not just between the government and the judiciary but also within the judiciary. It also set off outside public calls for the overhaul of the whole judicial system.

William Goodman sees tram network grow up but keep struggling with a lack of resources

William George Toop (“W.T.G.”) Goodman was appointed as the new Municipal Tramways Trust’s first engineer and soon after its general manager where he remained until he retired in 1950. At the MTT’s 1909 opening, 35 miles (56 kilometres) of track had been completed with electricity supplied by the Electric Lighting and Supply Co.. The tram network struggled with competition from private buses, growing car ownership aand the effects of World War I and the Depression.

Government spending $45 million to cut long wait for elective surgery in public hospitals

A $45 million investment was promised by the new state Liberal government in 2018 to significantly reduce the list of overdue elective surgery patients in South Australian public hospitals. This came when more than 1300 patients were overdue for elective surgery procedures in South Australia and around 4100 were waiting for a colonoscopy beyond recommended clinical timeframes. Most patients overdue for elective surgery were on the waiting lists at the Royal Adelaide Hospital or Flinders Medical Centre. Figures released in 2018 showed average waiting times of several years for some surgeries with maximums of at least 16 years.


Meningoccocal B worry to be met with free jabs; general vaccination rate for the state at 94%

South Australia became the first Australia state in 2018 to introduce a free vaccination program for babies and young people against the potentially deadly meningococcal B disease. There have been 372 cases of meningococcal B disease in South Australia since 2000, including 14 deaths, and more than 60% of those affected were aged under 21. Against the national trend, the disease has not declined in South Australia over that time. South Australia was up with national benchmarks for immunisations generally in 2017 with nearly 94% of five year olds vaccinated.

John Hill & Co., largest of Adelaide horse coach firms, as railways and motor cars arrive

John Hill & Co. was Australia’s largest and oldest surviving horse-coaching transport company by the end of the 19th Century, with 1000 horses used daily in its peak year. John Hill began work in the goods department of his father’s business, Henry Hill & Co, that had a South Australian Railways contract. In 1866, John Hill was put in charge when the South Australian independent affiliate of Cobb & Co. bought the stagecoach business from 1844 of Willliam “Ben” Rounsevell. Cobb & Co. sold this business, in 1873, to John Hill & Co., owned by Hill, Henry Fuller and George Mills. In 1882, the firm, based on Pirie Street, Adelaide, was restructured as John Hill & Co. Ltd as it expanded but it was always only a few years ahead of railways on the most profitable long routes. Initially, the company ran Serpent buses between Adelaide and Kensington then took over Mr McDonald's Rose and Shamrock Scotch coaches traversing Glenelg Road (later Anzac Highway) where “the traffic became so great that 20 coaches per day were required to cope with it”. The longest northern route went to Yudnamatana, via Kapunda, Melrose and Nuccaleena, where a packhorse completed the final 100 miles of a 400-miles journey. After seven years as a railways commissioner, in 1888, Hill returned to manage Hill & Co. and, with former competitor Henry Graves, founded Hill, Graves & Co., in 1911, with a huge stone bulk store at Port Adelaide, and Australia’s largest stables in Pirie and Grenfell streets. The company ceased trading in 1920 but with the business rationalised as H. Graves & Co.

Early feed-in tariffs for homeowners with rooftop solar being wound back

By January 1 2017, 60,000 early adopters of solar across South Australia, along with others in New South Wales and Victoria, will lose the bonus feed-in tariff and be paid less for energy they feed into the grid. The Australian Energy Council said the incentive to kickstart the uptake of rooftop solar had run its course, and it was time to return balance to the energy market. The council said solar customers would now be paid the true value of the energy they produce.


Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback