Mount Barker's Steriline gates start horse races at most prestigious tracks around the world

Steriline gates, made at Mount Barker in South Australia, start the action in the Melbourne Cup at Flemington.
 

The Melbourne Cup gets its start from gates made by a small Mount Barker company Steriline Racing.

But, besides Victoria Racing Club (Flemington Racecourse) and the Australian Turf Club (Royal Randwick Racecourse, Sydney), Steriline Racing’s racetrack equipment is also used by many globally famous major horse racing organisations including the Hong Kong Jockey Club (Happy Valley and Sha Tin Racecourses), Singapore Turf Club (Kranji Racecourse), Meydan in Dubai, Royal Ascot in the United Kingdom and Riyadh Equestrian Club in Saudi Arabia.

Steriline Racing’s equipment is now used at virtually every racetrack across Australia and it has most of the South East Asian market. The company has also exported to Sweden, Norway and, from about 2002 until 2005, it replaced all of the 55 starting gates in Britain.

For more than 50 years, Steriline has specialised in design, making, installing and servicing starting gates, running rails, winning posts, stewards towers and other racetrack equipment for the horse racing industry.

Starting gates involve sophisticated engineering but it also considers the psychology of horse and rider. This involves understanding the dynamic of the horses and also the thought processes of the jockey. Safety is a key consideration.  This pressure is on to load horses quicker so they are not standing in the gates for such a long time, because that reduces the risk.

Steriline Racing’s excellence as an Australian export company was recognised in 2015 when the company was awarded the South Australian Regional Exporter Award and was a national finalist in the 53rd Australian Export Awards.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Adelaide's craniofacial unit becomes centre of excellence for patients from around the world

The South Australian (later Australian) Craniofacial Unit was started at the Adelaide Women’s and Children’s Hospital in 1975 by craniofacial surgeon professor David David to serve South Australian, interstate and overseas patients. The Australian Health Ministers' Advisory Council designated the unit as a national centre of excellence in 1988 for its work on patients with rare and/or complex congenital or acquired anomalies affecting the head and face. David David, who retired as head of the unit in 2017, was named 2018 South Australian of the Year, after his South Australian of the Decade title in 1988. The multidisciplinary unit remains a centre of international excellence for craniofacial disorders, seeingfrom throughout Australia and the world. The South Australian government funds placements for international patients. This includes treatment, accommodation, expenses and transport. Based at the women’s and children’s hospital and also operating at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, the unit is one of two standalones worldwide and the only one of its kind in Australasia. It manages the craniofacially deformed, by pursuing excellence in clinical, scientific and educational disciplines. It treats children and adults with disorders such as distorted skull and facial shapes; cleft lip and palate; tumours and trauma cases. Its scientists work as a team studying phenotype (appearance) and recording genotype (genes) of craniofacial pathologies. Other research includes: Craniofacial morphology, clinical cephalometrics, biomedical engineering, genetics, biology of craniofacial deformities and bone distraction.

Laura Fowler female medical graduate 1891: a first for University of Adelaide and Australia

Laura Fowler became the University of Adelaide's – and Australia's –  first woman medical and surgery graduate, also winning the Elder Prize, in 1891. After graduating, Laura Fowler worked as house surgeon at the Women's and Children's Hospital until 1893 when she married fellow physician Charles Henry Standish Hope. The couple went to India on a mission to provide medical help. They devoted 30 years to this work in Bengal, despite theclimate's poor effects on their health.

Photocopying developed by Ken Metcalfe and Bob Wright at 1952 Defence laboratory in Adelaide

Xerography (photocopying), using liquid developer, was advanced by Ken Metcalfe and Bob Wright of the Defence Standards Laboratory in Adelaide in 1952.  Xerography is a form of copying invented by American Chester Carlson in 1937. Carlson based his method on the property of some materials to increase their ability to conduct electricity when exposed to light (known as photo-conductivity).The xerographic process exposes a photosensitive surface to light reflected through or from the image to be copied. Next the surface is dusted with a dry powder developer that adheres to the charged areas creating a copy of the image. The copy is then transferred to paper and fixed with heat. Carlson's process reproduced black and white images well, but not images, such as photographs, with any shading. Metcalfe and Wright of the Defence Standards Laboratory (formerly the Munitions Supply Laboratory) in Adelaide studied xerography to adapt it for industrial and military use. In 1952, they began to use liquid developers which, because they contained more pigment particles than the dry developers, allowed copying of images containing continuous tones. Metcalfe and Wright's invention allowed the development of colour copying by overprinting consecutive image.

Adelaide Studios at Glenside an integrated high-tech hub for film, television and digital

Adelaide Studios at Glenside is a creative hub for South Australian film, television and digital practitioners, building a strong reputation nationally and internationally. Managed by the South Australian Film Corporation for the state’s industry, the studios have attracted high-profile projects since opening in 2011. They include TV drama series ANZAC Girls and Foxtel’s Deadline Gallipoli, and feature films The Babadook and A Month of Sundays. The studios are integrated and flexible for producers specialising in independent projects. Adelaide Studios has two sound stages, a Dolby Premier 7.1 mixing theatre, automated dialogue replacement (ADR) and foley studios and a 100-seat screening theatre. ‚ÄčIt offers dry-hire edit suites and modern production offices with high-speed internet plus plugin and play. The studios are close to South Australia’s world-class post-production and visual effects businesses. Started in 1972, South Australian Film Corporation found immediate success with films it made such as Sunday too far away, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Storm Boy, The Fourth Wish, , Breaker Morant, Blue Fin, Robbery Under Arms, Under Capricorn, Sara Dane, Money Movers, Shine and the Ultraman TV series. In 1994, the corporation stopped its own production and became the state government’s agency to help the independent industry. Hundreds of films, shorts, documentaries and digital projects have been supported, including Ten Canoes, Samson and Delilah, Snowtown, Red Dog, Bad Boy Bubby, Rabbit Proof Fence, Look Both Ways and the original Wolf Creek.
 

Mario Andreacchio led way from Adelaide to China and other global film co productions

Mario Andreacchio is an Adelaide independent outsider film maker who has blazed new ground in international links from the 1980s and into the 21st Century. Through his Norwood-based AMPCO (Australian Motion Picture Company) Films, he has directed feature films, TV specials, telemovies, children's miniseries and documentaries. After working with investors from Germany, France, the United Kingdom, South Africa, Canada and Japan, Andreacchio threw himself into the first Australian co-production with China: the children’s film The dragon pearl in 2011. Australian actor Sam Neill played a lead role but Andreacchio impressed the Chinese by making a dragon the star of the film. Adapting to the Chinese ways of doing things, Andreacchio has joined other Chinese co productions including romantic comedy Tying the knot and action film Shimalaya. Born to Italian migrants in South Australia’s then-coal mining town of Leigh Creek, Andreacchio studied experimental physics then psychology before switching to film at Flinders University and ending at the Australian Film Television and Radio School. Andreacchio ventured into featured films in the 1980s with Captain Johnno (1988) winning an International Emmy. Another successful children's film, Napoleon, the adventures of a golden retriever pup and parrot friend Birdo Lucci, was a venture with Japanese company Herald Ace. Sally Marshall is not an alien (1999), an Canadian-Australian co-production, had strong reviews and was the second highest grossing Australian film of the year. 

Stan Ostoja-Kotkowski pioneers use of laser sound, image technology from Stirling studio

From a Stirling cottage in the Adelaide Hills for 40 years from the mid 1950s, Jozef Stanislaus (Stan) Ostoja-Kotkowski pioneered work in laser sound and image technology, especially chromasonics, laser kinetics and sound-and-image productions. Ostoja’s work included painting (developing geometric art in Australia), photography, film, theatre design, fabric design, murals, kinetic and static sculpture, stained glass, vitreous enamel murals, op collages, computer graphics and laser art. After learning drawing under Olgierd Vetesco in his native Poland, Ostaja studied at Dusseldorf Academy of Fine Arts (1945-49) before migrating to Australia. He enrolled at the Victoria School of Fine Arts National Gallery School under Alan Sumner and William Dargie but also brought European abstract expression to the school. In the 1950s, Ostoja moved into a Stirling cottage with studio where he lived under the patronage of the Booth family for 40 years. His pioneering of the use of laser, sound and image technology extended to work with electronics company Phillips, then in Adelaide.  In the 1950s, he joined Ian Davidson on experimental films and moved into theatre set design, including Adelaide University’s Elder Conservatorium Elixir of Love, employing startlingly new light settings. In 1960, he staged Orpheus as Australia’s first attempt at quadraphonic sound and chromasonics: translating sound into visual images.For the 1964 Adelaide Festival of Arts, Ostoja designed the largest yet light mosaic on an 11-storey building. For the 1968 festival, his Sound and image using a laser beam was a world first.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback