Glen Dix the stylish flag waver, from Rowley Park to GP, in South Australia for 50 years

Glen Dix showing his flamboyant flag-waving style at the Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide.

Glen Dix, a member of the Australian Speedway Hall of Fame, is best known for flamboyantly waving the chequered flag at the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix in Adelaide 1985-995 and in Melbourne in 1996.

He also waved the flag at four Australian 500cc Motorcycle Grands Prix. His 50 years in South Australian motor sport included flag waving at Mallala Motorsport Park, the V8 Super Cars and Bay to Birdwood rally through to the national karting championships and Masters Games events.

But he started at Rowley Park speedway in 1953 and flagged the final Speedcar feature at that speedway in 1979

Victor Harbor-born Dix, who worked at the Marine and Harbours at Port Adelaide for 40 years, was introduced to the Racing Drivers Association of South Australian by long standing secretary Ross Schultz in 1952. The next season Dix helped 5KA radio announcer Bill Evans with information on the broadcast of feature races.

Dix began his memorable flag-waving career as assistant to Rowley Park clerk of course Ern Sconce and took over the main job in 1954/55. Dix insisted on waving through every driver who finished the race – from first to last – in a style that prompted Rowley Park drinkers’ fun chorus of “Dixie's a dick head”.

Dix helped formulate Rowley Park’s special rules that, for instance, allowed American Bob Tattersall to shed an inside front wheel and continue for a further 21 laps on three wheels.

Dix’s involvement in the sport of karting extends back more than 50 years, when he was involved with forming the original South Australian Karting Council alongside identities such as June Hodgetts and Jack Self. Karting has been a part of the Australian Masters Games since 1999.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Duncan & Fraser killed by Ford's Geelong car assembly and the end of the Model T in 1927

Duncan & Fraser, the Adelaide firm that started as a maker of quality horse carriages and then trams for Adelaide and Melbourne, won the Oldsmobile automobile agency early in the 20th Century. It set up South Australia’s first showroom for cars with salesmen, spare parts, clothing and driving instruction. In 1903, a 5HP Oldsmobile arrived for South Australia’s first motorist Dr J.B. Gunson. By 1905, Duncan & Fraser’s original Franklin Street, Adelaide, factory was demolished to allow for a large car showroom. The firm won more car agencies but the big coup was the big-selling Ford Model T. After World War I, Fraser & Duncan stopped making horse-drawn transport. It also sold its Kilkenny trams factory to Holden's Motor Body Builders – to fund its own Mile End factory to build cars. When that factory was destroyed in Adelaide's largest fire in 1923, Duncan & Fraser found temporary premises to assemble eight cars daily, including Fords and Studebakers, within weeks. Ford Motor Co. was unhappy about dealers such as Duncans selling other car brands. In 1924, Duncans' new three-storey car factory was opened in Franklin Street. But, next year, the new Ford Australia started its own car assembly in Geelong with bodies made by Duncans. In 1926, Duncans’ assembly role ended when Geelong took only steel frames from Canada. The killer blow for Duncan & Fraser came in 1927 when Ford ended the Model T that wouldn’t be replaced by the Model A for 12 months. Without enough cars to sell and caught in a costs squeeze, the formerly high-flying Duncan & Fraser ceased trading that year.

Clem Smith a legend as racer, car collector and saviour of the Mallala Motor Sport Park

Clem Smith, a legendary motor racing competitor from Rowley Park days in the 1950s, is credited with saving the historic Mallala Motor Sport Park from oblivion.  Smith dedicated his life to motor racing, starting as a driver at Brompton’s Rowley Park Speedway before racing a Hudson Terraplane at Sellicks Beach in the early 1950s. He drove in the 1955 Australian Grand Prix and also was a Chrysler car dealer in Adelaide. In 1977, Smith, who built a valued rare car collection highlighted by his beloved Valiants, bought Mallala race ciruit in the mid 1970s from Keith Williams, who also owned Adelaide International Raceway. After a lengthy court battle, Smith overturned Williams' covenant stopping racing at Mallala Motor Sport Park. After Smith’s death in 2017, the Mallala circuit was bought by the Shahin family, who also owns the new Bend raceway at Tailem Bend. The Shahins want Mallala to be part of the renaissance of motorsport in South Australia.

 

Streets ahead in the support for trials of driverless electric vehicles technology

South Australia, the first Australian state to demonstrate and allow testing of autonomous electric vehicles on public roads in 2015, is leading the nation in driverless vehicle technology and attracting a wave of investment. World-leading companies in driverless vehicle technology  – Cohda Wireless, SAGE Automation and Sydac – are already based in South Australia. French self-driving vehicle maker Navya has agreed to set up a  plant in Adelaide to make 100% electric driverless shuttles.

Edward Holden takes company to productive high before Depression hits and buyout by GM

Edward Holden took his Adelaide family business into a partnership with General Motors to create Australia's first and biggest motor car body builder. In 1917, after the Australian government restricted imports of cars, Holden negotiated with General Motors to fit bodies to imported chassis. By 1929, Holden's Motor Body Builders employed 3,400 and was the biggest in the British Empire but its plant closed temporarily for lack of work. In 1931, Holden accepted General Motors’ buyout offer of £1,116,000.
 

Variety Bash raises millions for South Australian children in need over its 30 years

The South Australian Variety Bash reached its 31st year in 2019, with around $40 million raised for state’s sick, disadvantaged or special-needs children by the fun event. The Variety Bash concept was created in 1985 by adventurer Dick Smith when he took a group of friends for a drive he called The Bourke to Burketown Bash that raised money for charity. South Australia adopted the concept in 1989 but with an emphasis on raising money for children in need through the Variety Club.. The Bash is generally an eight-day drive in the country. It is not a race or rally, more a madcap event designed to put the fun into fundraising. Vehicles taking part must be in standard condition and models with a minimum age of 25 years. As the only motoring event in Australia that supports children in need, the South Australian Bash always focused on not only raising money during the leadup and throughout the event but we also be stopping along the way to surprise schools and organisations with grants from Variety Club’s fundraising. Variety’s other motoring fundraiser is a six-day outback adventure taking 4WD vehicles and their owners off the bitumen and into the outback, but doing it in style. The emphasis is on good tracks, scenery, food and wine plus fun and entertainment. The 4WD Adventure is Variety SA’s second highest fundraiser behind the Bash, raising more than six million dollars. As with all Variety events, safety is a major consideration. Its experienced outback team includes a medical team, mechanics, 4WD experts, a radio communications vehicle, satellite phones and an aircraft. in.

Mitsubishi shuts down Tonsley car plant in 2008 after global problems kill any hope of revival

Mitsubishi Motors Australia Limited (MMAL) took over Chrysler Australia and its Tonsley Park and Lonsdale car-making plants in 1980. It reduced the plants’ jobs that had peaked at 7500 in 1979. Chrysler Australia had been building Mitsubishi-designed Chrysler-branded vehicles: the Chrysler Valiant Galant (later Chrysler Galant), based on the 1972–1977 Mitsubishi and the Chrysler Sigma, a variant of the 1977–1985 Mitsubishi Galant. The popular Sigma was replaced by the Magna Colt, started in 1982 and ended in 1990. Mitsubishi introduced innovative multi skilling at Tonsley plus computer design and manufacturing. Mitsubishi’s first female engineer joined Tonsely that prided itself on being a family-friendly workplace. In 1992, Mitsubishi installed 38 robots in the body weld shop, 60 computerised sewing machines in the cut-and-sew section, and shifted manual painting to robotic spraying. In the early 2000s, a facelift for the Magna/Verada line failed to lift sales. Mitsubishi Motors Corporation in Japan gave funding to reengineer the Tonsley Park plant to allow the Mitsubishi 380 to come onto the market in 2005. In 2003, MMAL gained $30 million from Japan to create Mitsubishi Research and Development Australia (MRDAus) with MMAL's proving ground at Tailem Bend to be upgraded. Testing laboratories at Tonsley Park were also to be improved. In 2004, Mitsubishi’s global problems halted MRDAus with its 90 employees and an incomplete Tailem Bend site. With negative sentiment about MMAL’s future, the 380 sold poorly. Tonsley Park plant’s closure was announced in 2008. 

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback