Kat Heinrich part of national Adelaide-based waste and recycling consultancy Rawtec

Kat Heinrich won the 2019 Green Industries SA Women in Waste award as a senior consultant with Adelaide-based national waste and resource management advice specialists Rawtec.
Images courtesy Rawtec

Kat Heinrich, a senior consultant with Adelaide-based Rawtec, specialising in waste and resource management, won the Green Industries SA Women in Waste Award for 2017.

Mark Rawson founded Rawtec in 2007 to provide specialist advice on waste, recycling and resource management. Rawson was closely involved in waste and recycling after more than 15 years of industry experience, including regional manager of Cleanaway for South Australia and the Northern Territory. This role involved overseeing materials recycling, landfills, municipal collections, transfer stations plus large commercial and industrial collection fleets. He is also a chemical engineer.

Rawtec has become a national consutancy in waste management, recycling and sustainability. It provide solutions and identifies opportunities in treating waste and recycling for clients including private enterprises, government and the waste and recycling industry. Rawtec’s team of consultants include engineering, economic and behavioural specialists.

Senior consultant Kat Heinrich is chair the International Solid Waste Association Young Professionals Group, 70 young professionals involved in solid waste management representing more than 35 countries. Her role at Rawtec centred on the circular economy, a concept promoted by South Australian government agency Green Industries SA.

With her international connections in Europe and the United States, Heinrich used her Women in Waste award to investigate best-practice food waste initiatives overseas that could be applied  in South Australia and further the state’s reputation for innovation in the recycling and resource recovery. In 2017, Heinrich she started a blog, beyondfoodwaste, to share best-practice in food waste management from cities globally.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Samuel Smith & Sons/ Yalumba Australia's oldest surviving family-owned winery since 1849

Samuel Smith was a successful brewer in England before he migrated to South Australia in 1847 and worked as a gardener for George Fife Angas at Angaston. In 1849, Smith bought 30 acres for his a vineyard and orchard he called Yalumba. Smith and his son joined the rush to Victorian goldfields in 1852.  On his 16th shaft, he struck gold and returned to Adelaide £300 richer. He spent £80 on 80 acres that he let out and spent the rest on equipment, cellars and another house. In 1852, he made his first wine and, by 1862, had nine acres planted with shiraz. He gave cuttings to neighbours and bought their grapes to make wine. In 1863, he produced 60 hogsheads (13,638 litres). Yalumba wines soon won repute, with a bronze medal at the 1866-67 Intercolonial Exhibition, Melbourne, and silver at the 1878 Paris Universal Exhibition. Son Sidney Smith took over the estate in 1888. In 1923, Samuel Smith & Son became a wine merchant, presenting a blue chip portfolio of national and international wines, spirits and premium ales. In the 1980s, managing-director Robert Hill-Smith oversaw a buyout of family shares to consolidate the company's independence. Having made a strong push into exporting, the company operates throughout Australia from its head office in Angaston. Yalumba wines have been style leaders, controlling quality through its own vine nursery and cooperage. It has introduced varieties such as viognier and tempranillo. It also led the industry in environmental performance; reducing carbon emissions, increasing biodiversity and exploring organic viticulture. 

George Michell passes belief in wool from 1895 to his family firm still scouring in Salisbury

George Henry Michell founded G. H. Michell & Sons, wool brokers and processors, at Undalya, south of Clare Valley, around 1895. A bootmaker, Michell started in wool by buying small lots from farmers and scouring on the banks of the River Wakefield. He was noted for buying wool during slumps. In 1903, he bought wool-scouring works at 33 Adam Street, Hindmarsh, previously run by W. Peacock and Sons. All four Michell sons were employed in the business and inherited it in 1909. In 1907, the Michell factory had been destroyed in one of South Australia's largest fires, which started at W.H. Burford and Son’s Apollo Works soap factory and also razed George Wilcox's skin depot. David Reid's tannery was spared. Another big fire in 1943, at fellmonger David Jowitt and Sons, spared Michell's and Burford's factories but a blaze in 1945 destroyed their wool treatment factory on Manton/Adam streets corner. In 1938, the company was listed on the Melbourne Stock Exchange with a signed-up capital of £500,000 in £1 shares (doubled to £lm. in 1953). The wool business thrived during wartime. Major expansion was made in Adam Street but a move onto South Road (then Taylor's Road) was opposed by nearby residents. In 1947, a private company, G. H. Michell & Sons (SA) Ltd., was formed with a nominal capital of £100,000 and two shareholders: R. J. and G. H. Michell. In that year, other members of the Michell family formed Woolcombers (WA) in Perth. G. H. Michell and Sons moved to Salisbury in the 1980s as Michell Australia and then the Michell Group of Companies.

 

 

Old iron ore mine to be hydro energy plant in Sanjeev Gupta's green vision for steelworks

The disused Iron Duchess North iron ore mine pit in the South Middleback Ranges, west of Whyalla, could be turned into a $170-million 90MW/390MWh pumped hydro energy four-hour storage plant by 2022, after receiving $500,000 each from both the South Australian Labor government’s Renewable Technology Fund and the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) towards a $1.7 million feasibility study by Sanjeev Gupta’s GFG Alliance subsidiary SIMEC ZEN Energy. Gupta’s 2017 purchase of the Whyalla steelworks included the iron ore mine in nearby Middleback Ranges. As part of his greensteel vision for industry vertically integrated with renewables, the disused Iron Duchess North mine would be the lower reservoir for a pumped hydro energy storage.The Middleback Ranges hydro power will be balanced with Gupta’s large Cultana solar farm, to maintain a cheap reliable supply of energy to his expanded Whyalla Liberty OneSteel steelworks. Hydro works by pumping water uphill between linked reservoirs when electricity is cheap and abundant, and running water downhill to power turbines when electricity is needed. In 2018, Gupta announced $600 million projects for Whyalla steelworks including a rolling mill to be completed with Italian metal firm Danieli and a pulverized coal injection plant, to be built by CISDI Engineering, a Chinese corporation run by the China Metallurgical Group Corporation.

Plastic bag ban by South Australian government in 2009 defies warnings of 'end of civilisation'

South Australia again led Australia – and much of the world – in 2009 with a state-wide ban on lightweight checkout-style plastic bags. State premier Mike Rann initiated the ban in South Australia because around 400 million nonbiodegradable plastic bags were going into the local environment each year. Rann received the same response as premier Don Dunstan when he introduced South Australia’s drink container-deposit legislation in 1975. Some retailers saw it as “the end of civilisation and would damage business. It didn't.” South Australian shoppers were quick to embrace the state’s plastic bag ban for the sake of the environment. Research by the Ehrenberg-Bass Institute for Marketing Science at the University of South Australia showed that more than nine in 10 shoppers took reusable bags to do their shopping, compared to about six in 10 before the ban. Stores began proudly proclaiming their green credentials and polls showed 80% support from South Australians for the move. South Australia included lightweight plastic bags with “100% degradable” printed on them in the ban as their breakdowninto smaller flakes were still damaging to the environment for many years. Only plastic bags thicker than 35 microns or compostable plastic bags that comply with Australian Standard AS4736-2006 were permitted in South Australia. Retailers offered heavy-duty reusable plastic bags at 15 cents each or green bags made from polypropylene for about $2. Soft plastics, such as bags, can be recycled through bins provided by REDcycle that uses the material to make street and park furniture.

Jordan Walsh's Adelaide green-loop clean and waste management concept goes national

Adelaide Clean Green company, started in 2014, has gone national on the premise of combining sustainable cleaning and waste management. Adelaide’s Jordan Walsh, who started the business at age 24, soon achieved a 2016 Telstra South Australian Business of the Year award. Walsh had completed a law degree and balanced his day job with cleaning work he’d started as a teenager. His business was born with the difference of avoiding chemicals in its cleaning products. Next step was to offer a green-loop waste management for events, with bigger clients including the six campuses of the University of South Australia, Adelaide showgrounds and WOMAdelaide Festival. Adelaide Clean Green overcame resistance to having an extra green organics bin at events by supplying compostable plates that could go into the bin with leftover food. This has been most successful at WOMADelaide in Botanic Park where 98% of waste was diverted from landfill. Using 100% compostable cubs, plates, crockery and serviettes, collected waste was converted to organic mulch by Jeffries, with 16 tonnes delivered back to Adelaide Botanic gardens. From around 80 staff in 2015, Adelaide Clean Green with Adam’s Cleaning and 200 more staff came on board. Going national with sustainable waste management, Adelaide Clean Green has extended its involvement to events including Parrtjima: A Festival of Light in Alice Springs and Polo in the City, in five Australian cities. It continues its local high profile at Santos Tour Down Under cycling and RCC Fringe during the Adelaide Fringe Festival.

Vivian Lewis's cycle business produces first South Australian-built petrol motor car in 1900

Lewis Cycle and Motor Works, with Adelaide horse carriage and tram builders Duncan & Fraser, produced the first petrol-driven motor car made in South Australia – at its McHenry Street, Adelaide, factory in 1900. The Lewis company, founded by Vivian Lewis and Tom O’Grady and initially renowned for its bicycles and building the first South Australian motorcycle in 1899, gained valuable publicity from the small two-horse-power vehicle it made in 1900. The Lewis display at the 1901 Royal Agricultural Society autumn show brought more publicity by featuring two motor vehicles, with the Register reporting that “the whole of the designing, construction, and finishing of these machines being executed at the works". By the spring show, the Lewis car had a more practical water-cooled 5hp motor. With its larger motor, the car travelled to country shows and holiday destinations in 1902. A Lewis car conveyed progress reports of a coronial investigation into a murder at Towitta, 21 miles beyond telegraph station at Angaston. The Lewis design settled in 1903 on the Minerva motor beneath a diamond frame design. Although Lewis built some more motor cars, it eventually favoured importing over manufacturing. The first car imported by Lewis, assembled in the McHenry Street factory, was for Gordon Ayres, A Gladiator for Bertie Barr Smith was “the first four cylindered car imported into Australia”. Lewis started bringing in more quality brands like De Dion, Talbot, Napier and Star and the Lewis Motor House was built on Victoria Square in 1904 with a factory on Molton Street, Adelaide.

 

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback