Auction man Theodore Bruce prominent in Adelaide life, including city mayor 1904-07

Theodore Bruce (third from left) in a formal group at the Victoria Park races in Adelaide in 1907. Bruce was part owner of two-year-old horse Lord Wilton that won several races for him. Later, Fred Bruce and George Aldridge took shares in the horse, without success. They sold her to E. W. Ellis, and within months she won the 1885 Adelaide Cup (held that year in Melbourne).
Image courtesy State Library of South Australia

Theodore Bruce in 1878 started what in the 21st Century was the oldest auction house in Australia.  He also was a prominent South Australian citizen as mayor of Adelaide (1904-07), Liberal member in the Legislative Council, arts patron and racehorse owner. Born in Leeds, Yorkshire, Bruce arrived with his parents in 1852 in Adelaide where his father set up as a merchant.

He started schooling at J. L. Young’s Adelaide Educational Institution before St Peter’s College. After working at a station in South Australia’s far north, he joined Randolph Isham Stow in 1862 in the law firm Stow & Bruce, followed by a National Bank of Adelaide job requiring travel around the state’s north where he became an expert horseman.

Around 1878, he started an auctioneering business with school friend George Aldridge, later Adelaide Stock Exchange chairman. They started a Broken Hill brewery that Bruce managed before selling it to South Australian Brewing and Wine and Spirit Company. The partnership with Aldridge ended in 1889 but Bruce continued as auctioneer on his own, with offices in the Old Exchange, Pirie Street, Adelaide.

Around 1895, Bruce was elected to Goodwood Ward on Unley Council, and became mayor in 1898-99. He served from 1894 as Adelaide City councillor for Hindmarsh Ward and, when Samuel Tomkinson died, was elected alderman and then  mayor. His major achievement was agreement with premier Thomas Price to start Adelaide's tramways network. Bruce was the city council's first representative on the Municipal Tramways Trust.

He stood twice for House of Assembly seats (East Adelaide, Torrens), both times beaten by the Labor candidate. He was elected to the Legislative Council in 1909, filling the Central District seat vacated by A.A. Kirkpatrick. Bruce died two years later – elected president of the Yorkshire Society a few days before.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Thomas Elder's copper cash exploits outback pastoral opportunities to built agency empire

Alexander Lang Elder arrived in Port Misery (now Port Adelaide) in 1839 aboard the family-owned Minerva to launch a new arm of his Scottish-based merchant and shipping business. Alexander’s merchant family had decided there was real potential in three-year-old colony and he was dispatched to both set up business and explore opportunities – particularly in goods, such as wool, that could be returned to Britain for sale. Alexander battled to consolidate the business until the copper boom in the mid-north in 1842 saw him branch out as a metal broker and enjoy major success. Alexander’s brothers, William, George and Thomas (in 1854), joined Alexander in Adelaide but it was Thomas who stayed on while the other three eventually returned to Scotland and England. Thomas Elder realised the potential of pastoral outback holdings and he encouraged the family business to import camels to provide transport between the pastoral properties. This unlocked the vast interior of Australia, tapping into the Great Artesian Basin water that made grazing viable. He laid the foundations of a national wool broking and rural agency empire that would be built on the back of sheep but funded with cash from the copper boom; cash that enabled him and his peers to buy huge amounts of pastoral land. After George returned to Scotland, Thomas Elder formed Elder, Stirling & Co, a partnership with Edward Stirling, Robert Barr Smith  and John Taylor. In 1856, Barr Smith married Thomas Elder's sister Joanna, and when Stirling and Taylor's retired in 1863, Barr Smith and Thomas Elder formed Elder Smith and Co.

From west parklands, colonial settlers go from reed huts to mud/timber to bluestone buildings

First European colonists on the HMS Buffalo, who eventually came to live in the vicinity of the future Adelaide square mile, settled in what became the west parklands under William Light's plan. At first, they lived in tents or houses of reeds (from the wetlands at Lockleys) and later in prefabricated wooden huts from Britain in an “Immigrants Square” near the present intersection of Currie Street and West Terrace. Limestone and clay for bricks from the Torrens banks soon replaced mud and timber for bigger buildings. Surviving brick buildings from the late 1830s and early1840s include the Ebenezer Chapel in Brougham Court, the Sheridan Theatre in MacKinnon Parade and Buffalo Cottage in Finniss Street. The Adelaide Gaol (1841) is also an important example. Nearby was the Colonial (or Iron) Store at the foot of Montefiore Hill nearly 400 metres to the northwest of the Native Location. Only about 120 metres to the southeast was the military camp of the sappers (royal engineers) quarters, between Memorial Drive and the Torrens Weir. (Sappers built and repaired fortifications.) After 1851, when barracks for the mounted police and for military purposes were built off North Terrace and east of Government House, the colonial store and sappers quarters moved to these barracks. The protector of Aboriginals and the Native School also moved to this location. Under the 1858 Building Act, Adelaide City Council banned timber construction. Bluestone quarried from Glen Osmond became a popular building material. It became a distinctive feature of the Adelaide built environment.

City hums with industry in 19th Century but pollution and smells a constant complaint

Breweries and flours mills, such as Phillips and Horne’s (1842) on West Terrace, were the first of many small industries in the Adelaide city centre in the 19th Century and through to the early 20th.  Two of the most successful, W. H. Burford and Sons and A. Simpson & Son, were also two of the most polluting with dirt or smells. The Burford factory, started in 1840 as one of Australia’s earlier makers of soap (also candles), on the corner of East Terrace and Grenfell Street, provoked continued protests over its smells. These continued when it moved to a bigger Sturt Street factory in the 1880s and took over the plant of competitor Tidmarsh & Co. Alfred Muller Simpson turned his father’s business in Freeman Street (now part of Gawler Place) into a major manufacturer, with fire- and thief-resistant safes an early speciality. His workers were known as “Simpson’s Black Angels” because of the factory conditions.

Adelaide city's mighty rubbish furnace heat and byproducts put to good uses from 1909

Adelaide city’s first major attempt at eliminating rubbish had a “waste not, want not” theme in making the most of recycling energy. In 1908, Adelaide City Council bought two acres between Halifax and Gilles streets, Adelaide, to erect a refuse destructor supplied by Heenan & Froude of Manchester. The destructor was to solve the problem that blighted Adelaide city’s parklands since colonial settlement in 1836: rubbish dumping. As late as 1910, 30 tons of rubbish daily were being dumped on 18 locations around the parklands plus many smaller ones. Before starting operations, the Halifax Street destructor, with its 38-metre 150,000-bricks chimney needed two months to heat the furnaces while masonry hardened to cope with 2000°F. It then burned 60 tons of refuse per day, around the clock, from the city and inner suburbs. The heat produced steam for an electricity generator that powered the site including a tin bailing press, clinker paver mill, a brewery, flour mill, biscuit factory, mortar mill, boot and vinegar factories and flag-making plant. The council charged Adelaide Electric Company £2,000 a year for excess power  fed into street lights. The steam also was used to disinfect laundry. A quarter of an hour in the system was enough to sterilise garments and bedding. After steaming, items went into a steam laundry, followed by pressing with electric irons. For this service, individuals were charged a guinea per vanload and it was free for those too poor to pay. Residue from incinerated rubbish was milled and converted into concrete paving. A tar-distilling plant also made a road surfacing product.

Woodroofe's Lemonade survives sale of South Australian company to remain 'still best made'

Generations of South Australian mothers gave their sick children boiled Woodroofe’s lemonade under medical advice. Generations of South Australian mothers gave their sick children boiled Woodroofe’s lemonade under medical advice. Woodroofe’s (or Woodies) was started by William Woodroofe and Bruce Randall as a soft drink business in 1878 in Norwood. The factory drew water from a natural spring. Woodroofe’s innovative products and marketing brought it success as a regional independent soft drink producer for more than a century. The most popular flavour was, and continues to be, lemonade. In the 1970s, the growth of national producers and increasing popularity of international brands (particularly Coca-Cola) gave Woodroofe increasing challenges. The business was family owned until it was bought by Adelaide businessmen Michael Harbison and Tim Hartley. They reinvigorated the business, including new flavours, such as fruit- flavoured mineral water. In 1983, Harbison and Hartley floated the business on the Adelaide Stock Exchange. South Australian Brewing bought its soft drink manufacturing and onsold the business to Cadbury Schweppes, who closed the historic Norwood factory and moved production to their plant at Payneham. In 2009, Schweppes was bought by Japanese beer company Asahi. Asahi/Schweppes closed the Payneham operations in 2016 and shifted production to Melbourne and Perth but Woodroofe drinks were still marketed in South Australia. Most popular is lemonade, advertised for many years with the jingle: “Still the best lemonade made”. 

William Muirden gives broad approach to commercial studies; WEA courses boom

William Muirden, founder of Muirden College, still operating in King William Street, Adelaide, brought the benefits of a broader education to commercial studies. In 1892, Scottish-born Muirden took over the Adelaide Shorthand Institute, the city’s first business college (1887) from his brother Alexander. Formed in 1914, the Workers’ Educational Association (WEA) in South Australia in 2012 claimed to be Australia's largest non-government adult community education organisation.


 

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback