Adelaide firm FCT the designer/builder of torches and cauldrons for Olympics since 2000

Adelaide Industrial combustion company FCT Flames at Thebarton took on the challenge of making Olympic torches and cauldrons in 2000.
 

An Adelaide company has designed, built and tested at Thebarton Olympics torches and cauldrons for the Olympic Games since 2000. FCT Flames, an industrial combustion company, took a bold new direction – from designing burners for cement factories ­–in the leadup to the 2000 Sydney Olympics. 

When Cathy Freeman lit the Sydney Olympic cauldron, produced by FCT Flames, it was a game-changing moment for the Adelaide company.

Since then, no challenge has proved too great for the company, including designing a torch to be used underwater at the Great Barrier Reef and a six-metre-high tornado-style flame used at the Youth Games in Singapore.

But it ranks a “burning man” created for the opening ceremony of the European Games in Baku as its most challenging project yet. His outline was created with 600 metres of pipe fitted around a moving stage and the effect was sequenced so that fire spread from the heart out along the man's arteries. There was extensive design and testing done in an Adelaide workshop before it took a team six weeks to install the effects in the Baku stadium.

FCT Flames’ small team includes mechanical, electrical and process engineers, electricians, gas fitters and technicians. It takes a hand-drawn sketch or a computer-generated image and turns it into something real.

With billions of people watching the flame lighting, there are no second chances. To make sure things go without a hitch, the team has back-up systems, multiple gas paths and back-up power supplies. It is important that the look's right, the safety is right, the performance's right and the fuel consumption understood

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Three South Australian universities work with industry in areas such as defence, biomedicine

All three major South Australian universities are involved in turning their research into technology. Each has its own commercialisation arm: Adelaide Enterprise at Adelaide University; Flinders Partners at Flinders University; and UniSA Ventures at the University of South Australia. South Australia has a long history of success in defence research, underpinned by strong alliances between universities and industry. These alliances were recognised in 2018 through the Defence Innovation Partnership between Defence SA, Defence Science and Technology, and South Australia’s three universities. It will support research, develop and commercialise defence-relevant science and technology with the universities, industry and the state and federal governments working together, particularly through significant Defence Science and Technology research divisions at Edinburgh Defence Precinct. The three universities also work closely in the biomedical research precinct on the western end of North Terrace, Adelaide. Sited alongside the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI) and Royal Adelaide Hospital, is the University of Adelaide Health and Medical Sciences building, supporting about 400 health sciences researchers. University of South Australia’s Health Innovation Building, includes the Centre for Cancer Biology set up within SA Pathology in 2008 as a hub for innovative science. A $280 million SAHMRI2 will be built alongside SAHMRI building to house Australia’s first proton therapy unit. Flinders University has committed $60 million to have a cancer research hub in the building.

 

South Australian urban electricity carried by 725,000 poles invented in 1924 by James Stobie

An ungainly South Australian icon, the Stobie, a powerline pole made of two steel joists held apart by a slab of concrete, was invented in the 1920s by Adelaide Electric Supply Company engineer James Cyril Stobie. His idea overcome two South Australian problems: scarce timber and abundant termites. As Adelaide Electricity Supply’s chief draftsman, Stobie invented his pole to carry electricity cables and telegraph wires in 1924. The company paid him £500 for the patent rights. The first of the now-725,000 poles were erected in South Terrace, Adelaide, and were then used extensively in building the electricity transmission and distribution infrastructure throughout the state. The Stobie pole was central to the rapidly expanding Adelaide Electricity Supply’s network. In 1936, Stobie converted a Sterling coal truck so it could install 21-metre long concrete-steel poles weighing 7.7 tonnes. The Electricity Trust of South Australia took over from Adelaide Electric Supply in 1946 and Stobie became chief design engineer. In that year, Stobie and Wheadon, with John Ragless Brookman, formed The Stobie Pole Syndicate  to patent the design and then sell it or the manufacturing rights. The Hume Pipe Company became their first agents but, despite many international inquiries, South Australia has largely remained the only place where they are widely used. SA Power Networks (formerly the Electricity Trust of South Australia) continues to make stobie poles at a plant in Angle Vale. The expected service life of a Stobie pole is more than 80 years. 

Adelaide Studios at Glenside an integrated high-tech hub for film, television and digital

Adelaide Studios at Glenside is a creative hub for South Australian film, television and digital practitioners, building a strong reputation nationally and internationally. Managed by the South Australian Film Corporation for the state’s industry, the studios have attracted high-profile projects since opening in 2011. They include TV drama series ANZAC Girls and Foxtel’s Deadline Gallipoli, and feature films The Babadook and A Month of Sundays. The studios are integrated and flexible for producers specialising in independent projects. Adelaide Studios has two sound stages, a Dolby Premier 7.1 mixing theatre, automated dialogue replacement (ADR) and foley studios and a 100-seat screening theatre. ‚ÄčIt offers dry-hire edit suites and modern production offices with high-speed internet plus plugin and play. The studios are close to South Australia’s world-class post-production and visual effects businesses. Started in 1972, South Australian Film Corporation found immediate success with films it made such as Sunday too far away, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Storm Boy, The Fourth Wish, , Breaker Morant, Blue Fin, Robbery Under Arms, Under Capricorn, Sara Dane, Money Movers, Shine and the Ultraman TV series. In 1994, the corporation stopped its own production and became the state government’s agency to help the independent industry. Hundreds of films, shorts, documentaries and digital projects have been supported, including Ten Canoes, Samson and Delilah, Snowtown, Red Dog, Bad Boy Bubby, Rabbit Proof Fence, Look Both Ways and the original Wolf Creek.
 

Mt Barker's Steriline at the start and finish of most prestigious horse racing around world

The world’s most prestigious thoroughbred racing clubs rely on Mount Barker-based Steriline Racing’s race-track infrastructure for perfect starts and finishes. The Mount Barker-based South Australian company designs, manufactures, installs and services everything from starting gates and running rails to finishing posts and presentation podiums. Steriline Racing began in the 1950s when it built the first movable starting gates in Australia and has grown into a global powerhouse exporting to more than 50 countries. Already holding 100% of the British market (including Royal Ascot), Steriline Racing’s racetrack equipment is now used at virtually every racetrack across Australia and it has most of the South East Asian market. Many major horse racing organisations including the Hong Kong Jockey Club (Happy Valley and Sha Tin Racecourses), Singapore Turf Club (Kranji Racecourse), Victoria Racing Club (Flemington Racecourse), Australian Turf Club (Royal Randwick Racecourse), Meydan in Dubai, and Riyadh Equestrian Club in Saudi Arabia use Steriline equipment. Starting gates involved sophisticated engineering but it also has to consider the psychology of horse and rider. This involves understanding the dynamic of the horses and also the thought processes of the jockey Safety is a key consideration. This pressure is on to load horses quicker so they are not standing in the gates for such a long time, because that reduces the risk. In 2015, the company was given the South Australian Regional Exporter Award and was a national finalist in the 53rd Australian Export Awards.

David Adamson brings technical ability and intellectual curiosity to early South Australia

David Beveridge Adamson brought technical ability and scientific curiosity to early Adelaide, as an important member of a small group influencing the city’s social and intellectual life in its pre-university days. Adamson arrived with his family from Scotland in 1839. He was a carpenter and wheelwright, along with father James and brother Adam. They set up a business making agricultural implements in Adelaide in 1840. This became Adamson Brothers ( James Beveridge and John Hazel were partners) in the 1850s, with branches in Kapunda, Auburn and Laura. Their wheat harvesters and strippers (based on John Ridley’s invention) won a high reputation for quality.  The mainly self-educated David Adamson had an insatiable interest in science and mechanics. He built furniture and musical instruments, claiming (in 1876) to have made the colony’s first violin in 1841. He designed and built a valuable collection of scientific instruments, mechanical appliances and toys used in his public lectures and demonstrations. He ardently studied astronomy, assembling a Gregorian and a Newtonian telescope, an orrery (made about 1870, held by the Royal Astronomical Society of South Australia) and a Foucault's gyroscope. He was fellow of the Philosophical Society (later Royal Society) of South Australia from 1867. A founder of Chalmers Church, Adamson  supported societies such as the Young Men's Christian Association, sharing his parents’ and siblings’ strong commitment to church and community. Adamson promoted bodies such as the chamber of manufactures and the destitute board. 

Holden's, T.J. Richards, Duncan & Fraser move from horse carriages to nation's car builders

Adelaide’s place in the 20th Century as a powerhouse of Australian car making was not something brought in from overseas. The Australian car-making industry was spurred by the drive of three Adelaide horse coach/saddlery companies: Holden’s Motor Builders Ltd, floated in 1917; Duncan & Fraser, who switched to making and selling cars as early as 1903; and T.J. Richards and Sons, which became a car-body-building company in 1922. Duncan & Fraser, quality horse coach builders who won the contract to build Adelaide's trams in the 1870s, were ambitious in their 20th Century switch to cars. Those ambitions were choked by Ford Motor Co. in the 1920s. T.J. Richards and Sons also were bold in their car-building vision . It was T.J. Richards that beat Holden’s in 1937/8 by selling Australia’s first all-steel sedan car body. Holden and T.J. Richards had benefited from the 1917 federal government embargo on imported car bodies. But the family companies' next generation made the most of the opportunity. They embraced large investment, innovation and expansion. Under Edward (Ted) Holden, Holden's Motor Body Builders (HMBB) Woodville plant, with the latest technology, became the biggest of its type outside the USA. But the Depression forced Holden’s into selling to American partner General Motors in the 1930s. T.J. Richards remained 100% Australian-owned until Chrysler Corporation bought control in 1951.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback