Uber and other ride-sharing app services given OK to operate in South Australia in 2016

The new app-based ride-sharing services in South Australia contributed $1 a fare towards the compensation being offered to the taxi industry for the changes.

Ride-sharing services such as UberX, GoCatch, Ungogo and Oiii were given the OK to operate in South Australia from July 2016.

This followed the lead of New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory.

All drivers and vehicles of these app-based services had to comply with driver accreditation, including police and working-with-children checks, as well as twice-yearly vehicle inspections.

The app-based services were based on connecting customers with drivers who use their own cars to provide transport. They use GPS to find a customer's location and connect them to the nearest driver.

Customers pay using the app and no cash is handled. The price is charged per minute or per kilometre plus a base fee, and can change depending on demand. Drivers must pass a background check, have insurance and a registered car.

Uber offers a range of service levels, the two most common being UberX, using drivers with their own car, and UberBlack, using high-end” black sedans with professional chauffeurs with a commercial licence and commercial auto insurance.

The new app-based ride-sharing services in South Australia contributed $1 a fare towards the compensation being offered to the taxi industry for the changes. Ride-booking services would have to meet stringent standards.

Uber and the state government were in dispute over these introductory arrangements.

Adelaide taxi fares rose by 3% from October 2016 and passengers paid an extra $2 per trip during peak periods on weekends to compensate drivers as new players entered the industry.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Torrens linear park, Mike Turtur and coast main Adelaide metro car-free bike paths

Adelaide metropolitan area has some long bike paths free of motor traffic.  The Torrens Linear Park cycle path is shared with walkers who can use a trail that runs the 30 km lengthof the River Torrens  from Gorge Road, Athelstone, in the north-eastern suburbs, through the northern parklands of the City of Adelaide, to the river mouth at Henley Beach in the west. The linear park was completed in 1997 as the first of its kind in Australia. The state government has worked with six suburban councils on a Coast Park – a 70km walking and cycling path along the metropolitan coastline from North Haven to Sellicks Beach. The Mike Turtur Bikeway is the busiest cycling commuter route in Adelaide. In runs from South Terrace in the city and follows the tramline route to Glenelg. The Southern Veloway runs from the intersection of Marion and South roads in the Adelaide suburb of Darlington out to Old Reynella, where it joins onto the Marino-Willunga Rail Trail. Beyond the metropolitan area are off-road trails such as the 54km Riesling and Rattler running through the award-winning Clare Valley wine region. The Amy Gillett rail trail follows the former Mount Pleasant railway line from Oakbank and Woodside in the Adelaide Hills through to the Barossa Valley.

John Hill & Co., largest of Adelaide horse coach firms, as railways and motor cars arrive

John Hill & Co. was Australia’s largest and oldest surviving horse-coaching transport company by the end of the 19th Century, with 1000 horses used daily in its peak year. John Hill began work in the goods department of his father’s business, Henry Hill & Co, that had a South Australian Railways contract. In 1866, John Hill was put in charge when the South Australian independent affiliate of Cobb & Co. bought the stagecoach business from 1844 of Willliam “Ben” Rounsevell. Cobb & Co. sold this business, in 1873, to John Hill & Co., owned by Hill, Henry Fuller and George Mills. In 1882, the firm, based on Pirie Street, Adelaide, was restructured as John Hill & Co. Ltd as it expanded but it was always only a few years ahead of railways on the most profitable long routes. Initially, the company ran Serpent buses between Adelaide and Kensington then took over Mr McDonald's Rose and Shamrock Scotch coaches traversing Glenelg Road (later Anzac Highway) where “the traffic became so great that 20 coaches per day were required to cope with it”. The longest northern route went to Yudnamatana, via Kapunda, Melrose and Nuccaleena, where a packhorse completed the final 100 miles of a 400-miles journey. After seven years as a railways commissioner, in 1888, Hill returned to manage Hill & Co. and, with former competitor Henry Graves, founded Hill, Graves & Co., in 1911, with a huge stone bulk store at Port Adelaide, and Australia’s largest stables in Pirie and Grenfell streets. The company ceased trading in 1920 but with the business rationalised as H. Graves & Co.

Hans Penning leads to Cyclists Protection Association and a federal lobby group

Hans Penning led what became in 1976 the Cyclist Protection Association, pushing for awareness of cycling in urban planning. After rallies of hundreds of cyclists, the association became involved in city planning related to cycling. These included 40 km/h urban speed limits, the linear park, Tea Tree Gully bikeway and Emerson Crossing. Association president Darrell Penhale in 1979 initiated the Bicycle Federation of Australia, the peak lobby body for more than 20,000 cyclists nationally.


 

Dr John Gunson No.3 in first South Australian car owners; a founder of what became the RAA

John Gunson (registration plate No.3) was one of a clutch of doctors among Adelaide’s first car owners. Dr. Gunson was a founding member of Automobile and Motor Cycling Club of South Australia in 1903 and a life member of what became the Royal Austomobile Association (RAA). Born at Angas Street, Adelaide, in the house where his father, Dr. J. M. Gunson, had practised, John Gunson graduated in medicine from Adelaide University in 1893, after earlier education at Christian Brothers’ College, Adelaide, and in Paris. Dr. Gunson was one of the first men to use X-ray apparatus at the Adelaide Children's Hospital where he was honorary physician more than 25 years. He was also honorary assistant physician at Adelaide Hospital (1909-16) and honorary consulting obstetrician at the Queen's Home, Adelaide. As honorary secretary of the South Australian branch of the British Medical Association, he arranged the association’s congress in Adelaide in 1905. Also heading the list of first South Australian car registrants were: 1 –  Hargreaves, W.A. Woodville;  2 – Waite, Peter Glen Osmond;  4  – Cudmore, Dr. A.M. North Terrace;  5 –  Swift, Dr. H. Victoria Square; 6  – Ayers, F.G. Waymouth Street;  7  – Morgan, Dr. A.M. Angas Street;  8 –  Ayers, A.E. King William Street;  9 – Waterhouse, A. East Terrace; 10 – Rymill, E.S. East Terrace;  11 – Rymill, A.G. Glenelg;  12 –  McFarlane, A. Wellington East;  13-14 –  Lendon, Dr. A.A. North Terrace;  15  – Harris, F.J. Gawler ; 16 – Florey, J. Malvern; 17 Smith, T.E. Barr Currie Street; 18  – Scarfe, A.A. Burnside; 19 –  Marsden, Dr. W.C. Willunga; 20  – Meikle, Dr. A.J. Yankalilla.

Australia's first public iron railway, horse-drawn, from Goolwa, services river trade

The Goolwa-Port Elliot railway, from 1854, was the first railway in South Australia – and Australia’s first public iron railway, although horse-drawn, single track and only seven miles long. A railway (or canal) had been first proposed in 1849 to carry River Murray cargo to ships berthed at Port Elliot, avoiding the treacherous  river mouth. Governor Henry Young strongly advocated steam navigation on the Murray and harbour master Thomas Lipson praised the harbour at Port Elliot, preferring it to Victor Harbor. Adelaide and Port Adelaide businesses were strongly against this, believing they would lose trade. Steam navigation of the river by William Randell and Francis Cadell in 1853 hastened the rail project and, despite labour and materials shortages, it went ahead and was finished in 1854. Goods from river properties could now be offloaded at Goolwa, transported by rail to Port Elliot, and shipped to the world. Port Elliot’s lack of shelter and shallow anchorage, with seven ships wrecked between 1853 and 1864, meant the port was moved to Victor Harbor with the rail line extended. The broad gauge line was extended north from Middleton to Strathalbyn in 1869. Two horses at a time, changing at intermediate stations, continued to pull trains on the line until 1884. Records from 1875 show 29 horses travelling 7000 miles a month. The Adelaide-Morgan rail line opened in 1878 but 28,000 bales of wool were still shipped from Goolwa that year. A steam railway line from Adelaide to Strathalbyn was completed in 1884. Steam locomotion replaced horses pulling the train to Victor Harbor in 1885.

Glenelg line extended in 2007 but trams ADELink halted and privatisation announced in 2019

Glenelg line remained Adelaide’s only tramway from 1958 until 2007 when it was extended from Victoria Square in the city to North Terrace and onto the Adelaide Entertainment Centre at Hindmarsh, in 2009. Sections down to Adelaide Festival Centre/Adelaide Oval from King William Street and from Adelaide Railway Station eastward down North Terrace to the former Royal Adelaide Hospital site were added in 2018. Government proposals back to 2013 envisaged an AdeLINK tram network to include: • CityLINK –  a loop along the Morphett Street, Sturt Street, Halifax Street and Frome Street. • PortLINK – converting Outer Harbor train line to a tram to Outer Harbor, Port Adelaide and Grange, and tram lines to West Lakes and Semaphore • EastLINK − a tram line along The Parade, Norwood, to Magill. • WestLINK –  along Henley Beach Road to Henley Square, with a branch to Adelaide Airport. The line to Glenelg would be part of WestLINK • ProspectLINK − from Grand Junction Road along Prospect Road and O’Connell Street • UnleyLINK –along Unley Road and Belair Road to Mitcham. Six French-made Alstom Citadis model 302 trams  from Madrid in 2017 added to the German Bombadier Flexity Classics that replaced Type H trams on Glenelg line in 2006. The Liberal state government elected in 2018 put AdeLINK plans on hold. It also was unable to fulfil a promised right-hand turn from King William Street, Adelaide, for the tram running down the eastern end of North Terrace, Adelaide. In 2019, the government announced plans to privatise the trams along with Adelaide suburban trains network.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback