Technicolor Mill Film to base a major global visual effects studio in the Adelaide city centre

A scene from Gladiator that won a visual effects Oscar for Technicolor's Mill Film.

Global entertainment giant Technicolor’s 500-person visual effects (VFX) centre in Adelaide will make South Australian an international film production hub.

Technicolor’s Mill Film $26 million 3000-plus square metre studio, at the Myer Centre in Adelaide's city centre, will deliver visual effects for major film studios and streaming services, later expanding into virtual and augmented reality. Mill Film will comprise an Adelaide Centre of Excellence and VFX Academy, for 500 staff –ranging from technologists to artists – when running at full strength within five years.

A French company, Technicolor employs more than 15,000 globally with bases in Paris, London, Los Angeles, Montreal, New York, Vancouver, Bangalore and Shanghai. In 2018,

Technicolor and its brands – MPC, MR. X, Mikros and Mill Film – worked on 40-plus titles for major studios including A Wrinkle in Time, Predator, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, The New Mutants and 14 episodic projects from Mr. X including new seasons of American Gods, Carnival Rows, Narcos, A Series of Unfortunate Events and Vikings. This is in addition to its film credits related to Jungle Book, Wonder Woman and The Shape of Water (nominated for 13 Oscars), along with films such as The Martian, Blade Runner 2049 and Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.

The Adelaide VFX businesses is set to attract talented artists to South Australia from around the world. The South Australian government provided up to $6 million to support Technicolour Adelaide project, which is expected to have an economic benefit of around $252.6 million over 10 years.

Technicolour saw Adelaide as offering a pool of proven creative talent, access to universities to develop and nurture new talent, and internet infrastructure to allow it to move large amounts of data.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Thomas English, Henry Brown form leading architect-builder firm in Adelaide from 1850s

Thomas English and his brother-in-law Henry Brown became Adelaide largest 19th Century building contractors, by also offering design, selling timber and accessing stone from the Glen Ewin quarry they bought at Tea Tree Gully in 1852-53. Arriving in Adelaide in 1850 from England on the barque Richardson, commanded by English’s brother James, the firm of English and Brown soon made its mark constructing Chalmers (now Scots) church (1851), old parliament house (1853), the south-west wing of government house (1855/56), the South Australian Institute (1859) – all surviving North Terrace, Adelaide, features; additions to cell block at Adelaide Gaol (1862), Flinders Street Baptist Church (1863), foundations and basement of the Adelaide Club (1863), National Bank of Australasia and Imperial Fire Insurance Buildings (1864) and the Register building (1865). English also was eighth mayor of Adelaide from 1862. As mayor, English was a major advocate for building a town hall. A public meeting voted 1,116 to 809 in favour of borrowing  £20,000 to be build the hall. (Final cost was about £24,000). Edmund Wright, with Edward Woods, were the hall’s architects while English and Brown won the tender to erect the building – using stone from their quarry. In 1865, Thomas English was elected to the Legislative Council and became minister of works until 1867. When a new act prevented a building contractor from also being an MP, he left English and Brown in 1866, three months after the town hall was completed (for an Adelaide then of 54,000 people).

Anthony LaPaglia: from Adelaide soccer goalie to netting Tony and Emmy awards in the USA

Anthony LaPaglia’ made a brave Hollywood gambit in the 1980s. Educated at Rostevor College and Norwood High in the 1970s, he became a soccer goalkeeper for Adelaide City and West Adelaide and was working as a shoe salesman for Florsheim. Rejected by NIDA in Sydney, LaPaglia enrolled in an acting course at South Australian Castings Agency but left half way through for Los Angeles. LaPaglia's earliest screen credit was a 1985 TV episode of Steven Spielbergs Amazing Stories. His first film was Cold steel (1987) followed by the title role in the telemovie Nitti: The Enforcer. He starred in the bio pic 29th Street, with roles in the vampire/Mafia story Innocent blood (1992), comedy thriller So I married an axe murderer (1993), legal thriller The client (1994), and comedy Empire Records. During 1997–98, LaPaglia appeared on Broadway in Arthur Miller's A View From the Bridge, winning a Tony Award. Before the play opened, LaPaglia met creator David Chase to discuss the role of Tony Soprano in The Sopranos. Spike Lee cast LaPaglia as a New York police detective in Summer of Sam (1999). During 2000–04, LaPaglia appeared in the sitcom Frasier, winning an Emmy Award for outstanding guest actor. LaPaglia made his Australian debut with Hugo Weaving in The Custodian (1993), followed by the romantic comedy Paperback Romance (1994). He also returned for Australian films such as Looking for Alibrandi (2000), Lantana (2001), Happy Feet (2006) and Balibo (2009). In 2002, LaPaglia co-starred opposite Sigourney Weaver in The Guys, about New York firemen who died in the World Trade Center. In 2015, LaPaglia returned to Adelaide to star in A Month of Sundays. 

Thousands of women join Adelaide's factories making World War II munitions, equipment

Adelaide became an arms-making machine for the World War II campaign. Finsbury Munitions Factory, employing 4,000 women, from 1941, made cartridges, It had about 20 major buildings spread over 50 hectares and housed 300 women in fibro huts (later Finsbury migrant hostel). Another huge complex was Salisbury Explosives Factory with a workforce of more than 6,000 men and women. A Hendon factory (taken over by Philips Electronics after the war) made .303 rifle ammunition. Car body production lines at General Motors-Holdens in Woodville, Beverley and Birkenhead and the T.J. Richards' Keswick factory (later LeCornu’s on Anzac Highway) switched to producing guns, tanks and military aircraft parts. Islington railway workshops churned out armoured cars. British Tube Mills (Australia) Kilburn factory, from 1939 the only one in Australia making steel tubing, was thrown into producing aircraft guns, warships' boilers and oil/fuel bottles for torpedoes, within days of the war's start. Other  factories making war equipment included Colton, Palmer & Preston (grenades), David Shearer of Mannum (track links for machine-gun carriers), Horwood Bagshaw at Mile End (anti-tank guns), ICIANZ at Osborne (calcium chloride), Kelvinator at Keswick (primers), Perry Engineering at Mile End (shell forging and machining), Pope Products at Beverley (aircraft practice bombs), Southcott of Adelaide (heat treatment of tools and gauges), Wheatley and Williams of Bowden (non-ferrous castings), Wiles Chromium and Electroplating of Mile End (Wiles mobile cookers).

Victorian gold rush in 1850s suspends Burra copper boom as labour and geologists head east

Georg Bruhn, who confirmed the discovery of gold in Victoria in 1851, had been among the German and other geological experts flooding into South Australia during the Burra cooper boom. In 1848, Dr Bruhn, a German doctor, advertised his services in Adelaide as a mineralogist, geologist, miner and chemist. He received finance to explore for the colony’s minerals. But it was his mineral expedition in Victoria in 1851 that confirmed the discovery of gold and set off a rush that had a major effect on South Australia. About 28,000 people left South Australia in 1852-1853 from a European population of 63,700. Even the rich copper mining operations at Burra were largely suspended due to lack of labour. Smaller mines soon closed permanently. Within this exodus were most geologists based in South Australia during the copper boom, including Thomas Burr, James Trewartha, and Carl Zacchariae, who had lead a team of German miners working the Wheal Gawler lead-silver mine at Glen Osmond. Even Johannes Menge, South Australia’s first official geologist, who had lived in the colony for 15 years and was aged 64, walked to Victoria but died soon after he arrived. The Victorian gold rush put a serious brake on geology in South Australia as a discipline and a profession. It was only restarted when the University of Adelaide was opened in 1874 and with the Geological Survey of South Australia in 1882.

Whyalla booms from 1940s with steel blast furnace plus shipyards created in World War II

South Australian premier Richard Butler cleared the way for the BHP to build a steel blast furnace at Whyalla in Spencer Gulf by passing a 1937 indenture act that gave the company rights and benefits. BHP chief Essington Lewis, a South Australian, persuaded BHP to take advantage of the benefits at Whyalla that the company has used for shipping out ore from Iron Knob since 1903. The blast furnace, blown in during 1941, was initially to produce pig iron for sale or use at other BHP plants. With the outbreak of World War II from 1939, Whyalla fitted the federal government’s need to decentralise industries such as shipbuilding. In 1940, BHP set up a Whyalla shipyard that quickly started constructing HMAS Whyalla and other corvettes for the Royal Australian Navy. BHP also began building ships for its own needs. The Iron Monarch (1942) was the first of these, with the Iron Duke (1943) and three other River Class freighters by the end of the war. In 1947, Australia's largest domestically built vessel, the bulk carrier Iron Yampi, was completed, topped in size by the Darling River in 1965. With the tanker Arthur Phillip in 1974, Whyalla had produced more than one million tonnes of merchant vessels. Adding to ongoing labour dispute problems, a 1970 fire at the yard gutted half-built tanker the Amanda Miller. Shipbuilding, including the world's first gas turbine-electric powered ship, Seaway Prince in 1975, continued but the Zincmaster, the 59th ship, was cancelled twice. Its last large ship, the Iron Curtis, was completed in 1978. From there, the shipyard was shut down and 1,800 workers made redundant.

Australia's first mine on Osmond Gilles' land; first ore export from Wheal Gawler in 1840s

South Australia operated the first commercial metalliferous mines in Australia and produced the first Australian metalliferious exports in the 1840s. Glen Osmond silver-lead mines, in Adelaide’s south-eastern suburbs and Mount Lofty foothills, never produced big amounts but, egged on by expectation, their last remnants were active until 1889. Ore was discovered in 1838 on land owned by colonial treasurer Osmond Gilles. This became the Glen Osmond mine, starting in 1842. Another nearby discovery in 1841, claimed to be more abundant in gold, silver, lead and iron than any in British Empire colony, led to Wheal Gawler mine and the South Australian Mining Association set up with capital of £6,000. In 1841, a trial shipment from Gawler Wheal was sent to London: the first Australian export of metalliferous ore. Wheal Watkins joined the foothills mines in the 1840s but attention had switched to the discovery of copper elsewhere in the colony. Wheal Gawler was revived by a new syndicate in the late 1840s, with 20 German miners working on it. Despite attempts to convince investors of its  prospects, it was shut down in 1849, after only producing 100 tons in three years. Glen Osmond Mine, also having produced 100 tones, was closed in 1851. It was reopened in 1888 by a company inspired by high metal prices and the major silver-lead finds at Broken Hill. But hopes weren't met and it finished in 1892. Wheal Watkins went through the same dented optimism but was revived in 1888. It produced about 130 tons for smelters in England and Port Adelaide before being doomed by metal prices in 1889.
 

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback