South Australia leads other Australian states in adopting motor cars, especially in the 1920s

This 1910 Daimler 38hp nine-seater Landaulette was built by Lewis Cycle and Motor Works in Adelaide on a British chassis.
Displayed at National Motor Museum, Birdwood.

South Australia took up the motor cars quicker than other Australian states. By 1921, there were 24 motor vehicles (excluding motorcycles) per 1000 South Australians. Victoria, with 16 per 1000, was next in Australia.

Some initial antagonism was directed at cars’ noise and smell scaring horses, still the main means of transport.  Speeding cars also threw up dust. But cars were rapidly appreciated by groups such as farmers in reducing isolation and medical practitioners for speedy house calls.

The Automobile and Motor Cycle Club of South Australia (later to become the RAA, Royal Automobile Association), formed in 1903, boosted motoring and a framework for competitions.

Hill climbs and reliability trials were favoured over racing, and were strongly supported by the Lewis Cycle and Motor Works. Vivian Lewis, Tom O'Grady, Bill Courtney and Murray Aunger were regular competitors from among its staff, while Norman Jackson and master builder Walter Torode were keen early competitors on Lewis motorcycles.

Lewis Cycle and Motor Works also ran hire cars. Newspapers reported in 1905 that, “following the practice that has been adopted in some Government departments, (the Premier) engaged a 12hp De Dion Bouton motor car from Mr V. Lewis' establishment” to visit the ailing former attorney-general in Mount Barker 22 miles away. This was praised as efficient use of the premier’s time compared to using a train.

Lewis hire cars also provided sightseeing tours of the hills or to visits to country shows and race meetings.

The cars’ general impact on South Australians began in the 1920s. American cars, such as the Model T Ford, became more practical and cheaper but remained the preserve of the affluent. Motor cycles with sidecars were common.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Duncan & Fraser killed by Ford's Geelong car assembly and the end of the Model T in 1927

Duncan & Fraser, the Adelaide firm that grew from making quality horse carriages and then trams for Adelaide and Melbourne, made bold moves into car selling and making in the early 20th Century. After Duncan & Fraser built its first car body for Adelaide’s Lewis Cycle Works in 1900, joint founder James Fraser set up South Australia’s first showroom for cars. In 1903, it delivered a 5HP Oldsmobile South Australia’s first motorist Dr J.B. Gunson. With James Duncan, he was a founding member of the Automotive & Motor Cycling Club of South Australia – now the RAA. The firm won more car agencies but the big coup was the Ford Model T. After World War I, Fraser & Duncan stopped making horse-drawn transport and sold its Kilkenny trams factory to Holden Motor Body Builders – to fund its own Mile End factory to build cars. When that factory was destroyed in Adelaide's largest fire in 1923, Duncan & Fraser found temporary premises and were assembling eight cars daily within weeks. Ford Motor Co. was unhappy about dealers such as Duncans selling other car brands but, when executive Hubert French visited Adelaide, he conceded the Ford car bodies it was building were the best he’d seen. In 1924, Duncan & Fraser's new three-storey car factory opened in Franklin Street, Adelaide. But, next year, Ford Australia was formed, with French as managing director, and Ford car assembly started in Geelong with bodies made by Duncans. In 1926, Duncans’ assembly role ended when Geelong started taking steel frames only from Canada. The killer blow for Duncan & Fraser came when Ford announced the end of the Model T. Without enough cars to sell and caught in a costs squeeze, Duncan & Fraser ceased trading in August 1927.

John Hill & Co., largest of Adelaide horse coach firms, as railways and motor cars arrive

John Hill & Co. was Australia’s largest and oldest surviving horse-coaching transport company by the end of the 19th Century, with 1000 horses used daily in its peak year. John Hill began work in the goods department of his father’s business, Henry Hill & Co, that had a South Australian Railways contract. In 1866, John Hill was put in charge when the South Australian independent affiliate of Cobb & Co. bought the stagecoach business from 1844 of Willliam “Ben” Rounsevell. Cobb & Co. sold this business, in 1873, to John Hill & Co., owned by Hill, Henry Fuller and George Mills. In 1882, the firm, based on Pirie Street, Adelaide, was restructured as John Hill & Co. Ltd as it expanded but it was always only a few years ahead of railways on the most profitable long routes. Initially, the company ran Serpent buses between Adelaide and Kensington then took over Mr McDonald's Rose and Shamrock Scotch coaches traversing Glenelg Road (later Anzac Highway) where “the traffic became so great that 20 coaches per day were required to cope with it”. The longest northern route went to Yudnamatana, via Kapunda, Melrose and Nuccaleena, where a packhorse completed the final 100 miles of a 400-miles journey. After seven years as a railways commissioner, in 1888, Hill returned to manage Hill & Co. and, with former competitor Henry Graves, founded Hill, Graves & Co., in 1911, with a huge stone bulk store at Port Adelaide, and Australia’s largest stables in Pirie and Grenfell streets. The company ceased trading in 1920 but with the business rationalised as H. Graves & Co.

Uber and other ride-sharing app services given OK to operate in South Australia in 2016

Ride-sharing services such as UberX, GoCatch, Ungogo and Oiii were given the OK to operate in South Australia from July 2016. This followed the lead of New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. All drivers and vehicles of these app-based services had to comply with driver accreditation, including police and working-with-children checks, as well as twice-yearly vehicle inspections. The app-based services were based on connecting customers with drivers who use their own cars to provide transport. They use GPS to find a customer's location and connect them to the nearest driver. Customers pay using the app and no cash is handled. The price is charged per minute or per kilometre plus a base fee, and can change depending on demand. Drivers must pass a background check, have insurance and a registered car. Uber offers a range of service levels, the two most common being UberX, using drivers with their own car, and UberBlack, using high-end” black sedans with professional chauffeurs with a commercial licence and commercial auto insurance. The new app-based services in South Australia contribute $1 a fare towards the compensation being offered to the taxi industry for the changes. Ride-booking services would have to meet stringent standards. Uber and the state government were in dispute over these introductory arrangements. Adelaide taxi fares rose by 3% from October 2016 and passengers paid an extra $2 per trip during peak periods on weekends to compensate drivers as new players entered the industry.


 

William Randell, Francis Cadell in 1853 steamboat race up Murray, opening the way for river trade

The second steamboat captain – after William Randell in his Mary Ann ­– on the River Murray was Francis Cadell, who'd spent many years at sea and studied river navigation in the USA. He wanted to win the South Australian government’s £4000 bonus for the first two boat owners to navigate the Murray from its mouth to the Darling junction in iron-clad steamers. Cadell first sailed down the Murray from Swan Hill in a small boat to check the river could be navigated by a larger vessel. He commissioned a Sydney shipyard to build an 80-ton 32-metre vessel with two engines each 20 horsepower. At Goolwa on the Murray mouth, he built a barge, the Eureka, to carry 100 tons of cargo. When completed, the Sydney vessel was sailed to Goolwa. Cadell named it the Lady Augusta, after the South Australian governor's wife, and he invited distinguished guests on the maiden river voyage that started at Goolwa in August 1853. Not far past Murrumbidgee junction, Lady Augusta passed Randell’s smaller Mary Ann. The Lady Augusta arrived in Swan Hill 23 days after leaving Goolwa, a few hours ahead of the Mary Ann. The Mary Ann took the lead, with Gannawarra being Cadell’s end point. Randell went on to Maiden’s Punt (later Echuca), 1068 miles from Goolwa. Neither Mary Ann nor Lady Augusta met conditions for the government bonus but, while Randell received £300, the full prize went to Cadell. Cadell formed the River Murray Navigation Co. and Randell secured backing for his Murray River Company. They were part of rapid growth of river trade, moving key commodities such as wool.

Australian speedway racing born fast at Wayville Showgrounds in the 1920s and 1930s

Wayville Showgrounds’ main arena in the 1920s/30s has been claimed as the birthplace of Australian speedway. The showgrounds’ main arena became Speedway Royal, peaking between 1926 and 1934, when it could hold regular crowds of 25,000 and attract world champions such as Lionel van Pragg. In 1928, Wayville, hosting the first of its Australia solo titles, was promoted as “the world's fastest dirt track speedway”.  Wayville stopped hosting speedway meetings after 1934.

South Australia's only toll, on road to Mount Barker, survives for a few years in the 1840s

The toll house at Glen Osmond was built in 1841 to collect fees to fund a road linking Adelaide and Mount Barker. For generations before Adelaide was founded, Aboriginal people had travelled the gentle slope of Glen Osmond. With European settlement, it became the favourite track between Adelaide plains and agricultural land to east of the Hills. Early Mount Barker settlers agitated for a road to replace dangerous track used by drays and wagons going to Adelaide markets. In 1841, governor George Gawler paid 200 men at British crown expense to turn it into the Great Eastern Road. This went against the orders of the South Australian colonial commissioners in London that settlers had to pay for all infrastructure. Work was about three quarters complete when Gawler was replaced by governor George Grey, who immediately halted the unauthorised project. With Mount Barker settlers angry, Grey created a trust, comprising all JPs and 25 landowners who would benefit from the road, to finance it through a toll. A small hexagonal building at Glen Osmond, with a garden, housed the tollkeeper. The tolls didn’t even cover road maintenance. After a year, the trustees were £1,179 in debt. The toll was generally unpopular, especially with struggling farmers. Grey bought out the trustees with land grants in 1844 but he kept the toll and auctioned the right to be toll collector. Samuel Davenport successfully argued in the Legislative Council in 1847 for an end to South Australia’s only toll road. Since the trustees’ had departed, tolls collected were £742 while road maintenance cost £3,739.

 

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback