Randolph Stow brief but brilliant judge of South Australian supreme court from 1875-78

Randolph Isham Stow was rated by John Downer as “one of the greatest judges Australia ever had”.
Image courtesy State Library of South Australia

Randolph Isham Stow, unchallenged leader of the Adelaide legal bar, was appointed judge of South Australian supreme court in 1875 to replace William Wearing, who died on the wreck of the SS Gothenburg.

Stow was eldest son of Thomas Quinton Stow, founder of the Congregational Church in South Australia, where he migrated with his wife Elizabeth and sons in 1837. Randolph and brothers Jefferson and Augustine were educated at home by their father and at a school run by D. Wylie. 

Randolph Stow’s boyish ability saw him articled to lawyers Bartley and Bakewell where he became a junior partner. In 1859, Stow started his own business and later partnered with Theodore Bruce (1862–72) and F. Ayers.

Stow was a member of South Australia's House of Assembly as member for West Torrens, Victoria, East Torrens and then Light. He was attorney general in the ministeries of George Waterhouse (until 1863), Henry Ayers (1864) and Arthur Blyth (1865).

He died aged 49, three years after being appointed supreme court judge. John Downer, who became a QC the year Stow died, rated him “one of the greatest judges Australia ever had”.

The Stow scholarship and medal was created for Adelaide University law students successful at final examinations in three successive years. Stow’s son, Francis Leslie was the first to win the scholarship and medal. He went on to be crown solicitor and crown prosecutor in Perth.

Jefferson Stow, after time as a journalist, was appointed a special magistrate and Augustine Stow was associate to the supreme court judges 1877-83 and registrar of probates and chief clerk of the supreme court in 1883-1903. He also held office as public trustee, commissioner of inland revenue, curator of convict estates and deputy registrar of companies.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Scotch College succeeds Kyre as Presbyterian school for boys at Torrens Park in 1919

Scotch College was founded in 1919 out of the earlier Kyre College at Unley Park that lost many of its former students in World War I. The delay in getting a Presbyterian school for boys was due to the small size of that denomination only having 5-10% of South Australia’s population and that earlier funds raised for Scotch College were diverted to founding the University of Adelaide. Scotch College, now at Torrens Park property owned and built by Robert Torrens, Walter Hughes and then Robert and Joanna Barr Smith, came from the fundraising of minister John Seymour who also helped start the Presbyterian Ladies (now Seymour) College. In 1918, Kyre College became Scotch College. Founding chairman was influential Cambridge-educated Adelaide University classics professor Darnley Naylor. The move to Torrens Park in 1920 allowed Scotch to be the first South Australian school with a farm on campus for agricultural education. During World War II, the property was used by the United States army and Royal Australian Air Force and the school had to move to Birralee, Belair and Brierly Lodge. Scotch recruited Charles Fisher, a master at Harrow School and son of the archbishop of Canterbury, Geoffey Fisher, as its third headmaster (1962-69). The college's outdoor education and nature conservation programs were boosted by the lease of Goose Island in 1966. In 1972, the college became coeducational under reformist headmaster Philip Roff, with the middle school founded the next year. Today, the school is run by a board of governors linked to the Uniting Church of Australia. 

With churches' support, Tom Playford content with South Australia being the 'wowser' state

Premier Tom Playford was unfazed by South Australia being regarded, going into the 1960s, as the wowser state, although he was no longer a teetotaller himself – despite only drinking lemonade, water or milk in public. His anti-gambling side came through when he banned horse racing in 1942, claiming it was to control wartime manpower. The ban was lifted in 1943. Protestant church leaders, who believed Playford was “on their side”, remained a vigorous pressure group for “moral and social wellbeing” through legislation. In 1940, Playford ended 65 years of secular education by allowing clergy to conduct weekly religious instruction in government schools. In 1947, teachers were themselves permitted to conduct these sessions. Playford marked Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation in 1953 by presenting a copy of the New Testament to every South Australian schoolchild. The conservatism of Playford and the Liberal and Country League stood by strong police powers, with “no loitering” laws and gambling restricted. It didn’t match a changing South Australian society. There was dissatisfaction with curbs on drinking hours. The constituents who loudly demanded changes were mostly immigrants, used to freer conditions in their original countries. The Labor party promised changed social legislation. Playford had no interest in this and he didn’t budge at the fatal 1965 election. He campaigned on a strong economy with incomes increasing.

Premier Tom Playford damaged by handling of Rupert Max Stuart royal commission in 1959

The Rupert Max Stuart murder case contributed to the fall of the premier Tom Playford’s long-standing South Australian government in 1965. Stuart's execution was set for July 7, 1959. Of letters to The Advertiser, 75% of writers favoured the sentence being commuted and petitions with thousands of signatures backed this. On the morning before, the first petition supporting the execution arrived by telegram with 334 signatures from Ceduna, Thevenard and districts. Playford’s executive council considered the petitions for 20 minutes before issuing a statement that the execution would go ahead next day. But Playford’s failure to curb discredited statements about Stuart’s English-speaking ability by police association president Paul Turner, who was involved in the case, prompted the Law Society of South Australia’s appeal to the Privy Council, putting a stay on the execution. Playford’s next move was to appoint a royal commission. Including chief justice Mellis Napier and justice Geoffrey Reed, both involved in the trial and appeals, as commissioners sparked a worldwide uproar, including bias claims from the president of Indian Bar Council, UK Liberal Party leader Jo Grimond and former British prime minister Clement Atlee. A clash between Mellis Napier and Jack Wentworth QC, over questioning of a detective, added to the front-page headlines from the commission. Labor Party MP Don Dunstan’s questions in parliament played a major role in Playford's decision to commute Stuart's sentence to life imprisonment, two months before the commission's findings, upholding the death sentence.

South Australia first part of the British empire to end state aid to the Church of England

Ending state aid to churches in 1851 made South Australia the first part of the British empire to cut links between government and the Church of England. The state aid cut, backed by the League for the Preservation of Religious Freedom, was made by South Australia’s newly-elected bigger Legislative Council. The state aid debate was broadly between middle-class Protestant Dissenters (against) and Anglicans, represented by the high-Anglican aristocratic governor Frederick Robe.


Australia's first Salvos Corps in Adelaide joins morality and welfare crusade from the 1880s

Adelaide’s morality and welfare crusade was boosted in the 1880s by the first official Salvation Army Corps in Australia. John Gore and Edward Saunders were both converts of the early Christian Mission. They met in Adelaide and decided to form a Salvation Army Corps. Gore and Saunders held a street meeting in Adelaide Botanic Garden on September 5, 1880. Gore became a temporary leader until, after an appeal to William Booth to London, Captain Thomas Sutherland and wife Adelaide were despatched on the Aconcagua, arriving at Adelaide in 1881. The new officers arrived wearing the first Salvation Army uniforms seen in Australia. Within three years, 32 officers were commissioned and 12 corps formed, and on the third anniversary 3,600 soldiers mustered for celebrations. The early Salvos found fertile ground for their work around Hindley and Waymouth streets, where prostitution thrived. But the welfare side of Salvos' work in Adelaide city centre also kept growing and continues today at its headquarters in Pirie Street. If offers many activities along with its emergency relief and counselling plus Do Unto Others nightly care for homeless and Market Place offerings for the needy.

Anglicans rebuffed on cathedral site in city but Bishop Short adds to local intellectual life

The present site of St Peter’s Cathedral represents a rebuff to the authority of the Anglican Church in South Australia. In 1848, conservative governor Frederick Robe granted land in Victoria Square, marked in Colonel William Light’s plan for public use, to the Anglican church to build a cathedral. But the legality of the grant was  questioned. Anglican bishop Augustus Short in 1855 took the matter to the Supreme Court who confirmed the grant was invalid and the building couldn’t proceed.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback