Lawrence Bragg a top student at St Peter's College but out of step with older classmates

Lawrence Bragg went through St Peter's College (pictured in 1900) with much older classmates.
Image courtesy State Library of South Australia

Lawrence Bragg started at St Peter's College in 1901, benefitting from the positive changes made to the school since 1894 when the Rev. Henry Girdlestone took over as headmaster.

Girdlestone, an Oxford science graduate, in 1900 divided the college’s curriculum into classical, scientiļ¬c and commercial. He built a chemistry laboratory and lecture room. That year James Simpson Thomson, the legendary chemistry master, joined the staff.

Age 11, Lawrence Bragg was in the fifth form and doing a public examination at the end of his first year. Precocious in lessons, he found his social immaturity compared to his class mates a great handicap.

He studied English language and literature, Latin, Greek, French, scripture, mathematics and chemistry, but not German or physics. In class, Lawrence and his friend Bob Chapman solved the problems that defeated the mathematics master. In chemistry, J.S. Thomson inspired Lawrence’s interest in school science.

In 1904, he topped the mathematics, chemistry and French exams, as well as Form VI overall, and was awarded a Christ Church Scholarship. He passed the higher public examination the next year with credits in pure and applied mathematics and inorganic chemistry and won a Farrell open scholarship.

Lawrence Bragg won the college cup at the School Sports of 1905, with a win in the 100 yards handicap. He rowed regularly in school and public regattas, and stroked the St Peter’s maiden four at the public schools races the same year. He took a leading part in the college’s newly-formed literary and debating society of the college. His school experiences in many ways paralleled those of his father William.

Lawrence’s brother Robert Bragg entered St Peter’s in 1905 at the age of 12.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

William Fletcher continues Jefferis's intellectual tradition and public discourse

William Roby Fletcher continued the intellectual tradition of James Jefferis when he took over as minister of Stow Congregational Church in 1877. Fletcher had won the gold medal at London University where he took a BA degree in mathematics, classics and moral and natural philosophy, and an MA in philosophy and political economy. At Adelaide University, Fletcher filled in as professor of English language and literature and mental and moral philosophy. 
 

Josie Agius showered with honours for her work in education, sport and Aboriginal culture

Josie Agius, a Narungga, Kaurna, Ngarrindjeri and Ngadjuri leader, was one of South Australia’s first Aboriginal health workers in the 1980s developing a framework for hospitals and community health services's response to Aboriginal people. From 1984-91, Aunty Josie worked as an Aboriginal education worker at Taperoo Primary School where she helped launch the Port Adelaide-based Kurruru Indigenous Youth Art Centre. She contributed to many Aboriginal arts and cultural organisations, including Tandanya, in Adelaide, and was NAIDOC Aboriginal of the Year in 1990. In 1995, at 61, Aunty Josie became a student at Tauondi College studying tourism and the Kaurna language. In 1998 she was appointed the South Australian ambassador for adult learning. Aunty Josie was inducted into the SA Women’s Honour Roll In 2009 and was patron of the 2014 and 2015 NAIDOC SA Awards. In 2014, she won the David Unaipon Award and Premier’s NAIDOC Award as a South Australian whose outstanding achievements and activities had significantly changed the lives and welfare of Aboriginal people. In 2018, the naming of the Josie Agius Park/ Wikaparntu Wirra (Park 22) netball courts precinct in the Adelaide city parklands, acknowledged her support of netball. The state education department's Aunty Josie Agius Award is for Aboriginal people working towards better outcomes for children and young people

Lillie Smith's Girton Girls (1915) and King's College (1920s) joined to form Pembroke School

Pembroke School – an upmarket independent coeducation and nondenominational day and boarding school in Adelaide’s Kensington Park for about 1700 students – was formed in 1974 by amalgamating Girton Girls School and King’s School for boys. Girton was one of many private girls’ schools started in Adelaide. Lillie Smith, wife of a stock broker whose fortunes varied, decided to have a regular income by buying a Kensington property in 1915 and setting up her school for girls. It flourished for nearly 50 years. King’s College came out of 1920s moves to amalgamate the Congregational, Methodist and Presbyterian churches. Although union didn’t happen, a new cooperative spirit led to the Baptists joining Congregationalists to form King’s College. King’s College emphasised the academic, physical and cultural rather than faith. Its only clergyman headmaster R.A. Cook (from 1957) eventually had a school chapel built in the 1960s. First headmaster J.A. Haslam, was the son of a Methodist minister, and later W.N. Oats, a Quaker with strong Methodist background, revived the school, from 1942. Among challenging views, Oats’ vision for King’s to become co-educational wasn't realised for another 30 years. In 2006, Pembroke became the first South Australian school exempted o accept more girls than boys to redress a gender imbalance in lower years. Pembroke School Foundation has supported major additions such as Diana Medlin Junior School, John Moody Technology Centre, senior and middle schools’ resource centres and Girton arts precinct.

Adelaide Miethke drives Alfred Traeger's idea to start an outback school of the air from 1951

Adelaide Miethke, a member of the council of the flying doctor service of South Australia, drove the idea fron 1944 of using the service’s two-way radio to give education talks to children in outback Australia. Miethke, an Adelaide teacher and wide-ranging contributor to education, brought the founding energy to an earlier idea for a school of the air by another South Australian, Alfred Traeger. Traeger invented the two-way pedal-powered radio that enabled the Rev. John Flynn of the Australian Inland Mission to get the communication technology needed for his flying doctor service from 1929. After a long wait for special communications equipment, a trial program for the school of the air began in 1850, using teachers from Alice Springs Higher Primary School. The first official lessons were sent from the Royal Flying Doctor Service in Alice Springs on June 8, 1951. Miethke told outback children listening to the opening ceremony that they were taking part in the first school of the air in the world. The school had been set up with funds left over from the South Australian schools’ patriotic fund of World War II. Mietthke had directed that fund 1941-46 and served on the Women’s War Service Council. Besides enabling the school of the air to start, surplus money from the schools’ patriotic fund also went towards building a hostel, named Adelaide Miethke House, run by the YMCA and to be used by country girls attending schools in Adelaide. A senior teacher in the South Australian education department, Miethke was also secretary/ president of the Women’s Teachers Progressive League (formed in 1912).

James Jefferis followed by William Fletcher as champions of education and intellectual life

The Jefferis medal in philosophy salutes the work of Congregational minister James Jefferis in the founding of University of Adelaide in 1874. Jefferis didn't only earnestly promote education. As a public intellectual, his statements on issues, such as supporting Australian nationhood, earned him the title “prophet of federation”. William Roby Fletcher continued the intellectual tradition when he took over as minister of Stow Congregational Church in 1877. Fletcher took Jefferis's place on the University of Adelaide Council (1878-87) and became vice-chancellor (1883-87).

 

Education exposes South Australian premier Tom Playford as out of step with the changing times

Education was an aspect of South Australia that exposed premier Tom Playford as out of step with a changing society. Fewer than 1% of the state’s population had university degrees when Playford left office in the mid 1960s. But university attendance had more than tripled, and secondary and technical school enrolments rose five times, far ahead of the 77% population growth during his time. Although government spending on education increased from 10% to 17% during 1945-59, class sizes increased as insufficient new teachers graduated. The premier's education policy was criticised as too conservative. He didn’t allow languages other than English to be taught: "English is good enough". University academics and public examinations board were rejected in calls for biology to be a subject and for a broader senior high school curriculum. In 1963, the minimum school leaving age was raised to 15 but still lower than most Australian states. The premier was suspicious of Adelaide University and tertiary education generally. He thought its scientific research wasn’t practical. The antipathy originated from Playford's days as a backbencher when he complained to the university about a lecture by a political science professor about Marxism. His outspokenness about political curricula angered academics, with one describing Playford as “an uneducated country colonial”. Playford doubled the annual grant to Adelaide University in 1949 but he opposed a second university. Schoolteachers were increasingly active politically. Many became Labor supporters and played a part in Playford’s downfall.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback