John Acraman makes a fortune supplying 1850s gold rush via River Murray steamboats

John Acraman, already from a wealthy English merchant family, made a fortune shipping goods from Adelaide to Melbourne during the 1850s gold boom. Acraman arrived in Adelaide in 1848 to join the business of his eldest brother Edward and James Cooke but found that his brother had died.

Acraman partnered with Cooke and was visiting India in 1851 when he found about the Victorian gold find and returned to Adelaide. Acraman & Cooke made huge profits from the gold boom by shipping goods to Melbourne. With timber in high demand, they employed two pairs of sawyers in a sawpit in Currie Street, Adelaide, to cut it. They bought River Murray steamboats that proved the best way, with bullock teams, to serve the goldfields. Branches at Melbourne and Bendigo were run by James Cooke and Archibald Cooke.

Acraman ended his partnership with Cooke in 1855 and, with George Main and John Lindsay, formed a company with diverse interests, from coastal and River Murray shipping and insurance to pastoral runs in the Gawler Ranges and the west. Acraman, Main, Lindsay & Co. acted as agents for T. B. Hall & Sons, of England, distributors of Guinness Stout from 1875. Acraman, Son & Co. emerged in 1882 when son John Knox Acraman joined.

John Acraman Snr also represented Royal Insurance Company in South Australia 1851-91. For more than 30 years, he was South Australian Gas Company chairman plus a director of Adelaide and Suburban Tramway Company, Glenelg Railway Co. and other businesses.

Besides having a crater, lake, creek and conservation park in South Australia’s far north named after him, John Acraman’s love of sport (besides being a collector of ine art) led him to another legacy: founding the original Adelaide Football Club in 1859. He was one of its captains (John Brodie Spence the other) and first club president. He was inducted into the South Australian Football Hall of Fame in 2002

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Nippy's adapts to make its juice an icon but Berri Juices falls to fate of foreign ownership

Nippy's Fruit Juices is a 100% South Australian family firm that's become Australia’s largest supplier of fresh fruit juices and a state icon. Founded by Alic Knispel in the 1930s, Nippy's adapted to having surplus Riverland oranges by successfully turning to making juice. Berri Juices was formed in 1943 using fruit that dominated the Riverland economy. But a takeover, leading to 100% foreign ownership, saw its Berri factory closed in 2010 and juice production moved out of the region.





 

Robert Barr Smith and Thomas Elder help start Adelaide Steamship: a national shipping giant

Adelaide Steamship Company – a national shipping giant – was started by South Australian businessmen, including Robert Barr Smith, Thomas Elder and Andrew Tennant, in 1875. It aimed to control goods transport between Adelaide and Melbourne and to provide an efficient passenger service. Adelaide Steamship joined with Spencer's Gulf Steamship in 1882 to form a fleet that circled the coast from Derby in Western Australia to Cairns in Queensland. Its ships were supported by offices in almost every major Australian port. By World War II, the company owned 30 ships. After the war, declining trade forced it to diversify into towage, shipbuilding, and carrying salt, coal and sugar. During the 1940s and after the war, declining trade forced the company to diversify into towage, shipbuilding, and carrying salt, coal and sugar. Adelaide Steamship’s interstate fleet merged in 1964 with McIlwraith McEacharn in a new company, Associated Steamships, with Adelaide Steamship holding 40%. The new company developed the world's first purpose-built container ship, MV Kooringa. Bulkships Ltd, 40% owned by Adelaide Steamship, bought all shares in Associated Steamship in 1968. In 1977, the company's interest in Bulkships was sold and Adelaide Steamship Company ended its link with ships. But the company kept its interests in tug boats and, by the late 1980s, Adelaide Steamship was one of Australia’s oldest surviving industrial companies.

City hums with industry in 19th Century but pollution and smells a constant complaint

Breweries and flours mills, such as Phillips and Horne’s (1842) on West Terrace, were the first of many small industries in the Adelaide city centre in the 19th Century and through to the early 20th.  Two of the most successful, W. H. Burford and Sons and A. Simpson & Son, were also two of the most polluting with dirt or smells. The Burford factory, started in 1840 as one of Australia’s earlier makers of soap (also candles), on the corner of East Terrace and Grenfell Street, provoked continued protests over its smells. These continued when it moved to a bigger Sturt Street factory in the 1880s and took over the plant of competitor Tidmarsh & Co. Alfred Muller Simpson turned his father’s business in Freeman Street (now part of Gawler Place) into a major manufacturer, with fire- and thief-resistant safes an early speciality. His workers were known as “Simpson’s Black Angels” because of the factory conditions.

The South Australian Football Association the sport's first governing body, formed in 1877

The South Australian Football Association was formed at a meeting at the Prince Alfred Hotel (next to the town hall) in King William Street, Adelaide, on April 30 1877. It was the first governing body for football in Australia – predating the Victorian Football Association (VFA) established in May 1877. South Australian Football Association was pushed particularly by three club captains George Kennedy (South Adelaide), Joseph Osborn (Woodville) and 20-year-old Noel Twopenny (Adelaide). The trio men saw many benefits of a formal organisation to administer the game and control its rules. Kennedy placed the notice for the meeting in The Register newspaper that had suggested the first step to advancing football in the colony should be association, along the same lines as the South Australian Cricket Association. Twelve of South Australia's football clubs adopted a uniform set of game rules to be overseen by the governing body. This meant restoring the goalposts and bouncing the ball, both in the Old Adelaide club rules abandoned by the Kensington club. The inaugural 1877 season was contested by 13 clubs: Adelaide, Bankers, Gawler, Kapunda, Kensington, North Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Prince Alfred College, South Adelaide, South Park, Victorian, Willunga and Woodville. Immediate benefits from the association’s role were evident with the 50-60 spectators at games in 1876 growing to hundreds in 1877. Prominent patrons of the game boosted its acceptance in Adelaide society’s wealthy class. The association brought innovations such as calculating a premiership list. 

Big influence on South Australia wielded by John Langdon Bonython as The Advertiser owner

London-born son of a carpenter and builder, John Langdon Bonython rose to one of South Australia’s most influential business figures in the 19th Century and into the 20th. In 1854, Bonython sailed with his family to Adelaide and attended Brougham School, North Adelaide, but his parents couldn’t afford his further education. Determined to succeed, he joined The Advertiser newspaper as a junior reporter at 16. With hard work and successful shares in mining, in 1879, he could buy a junior partnership in the newspaper. This became joint ownership with F.B. Burden in 1884, when he also became editor – ­for the next 45 years. By 1893, he was The Advertiser’s sole proprietor. The Advertiser pursued a liberal progressive policy and was a leading advocate of federation. It aligned with the growing middle class and identified closely with South Australia’s progress. The newspaper had a big revenue stream from small advertisements but Bonython also believed in extensive news coverage, though often clashing with the Australian Journalists’ Association. Bonython was elected to the first federal parliament in 1901. Education was one of strong interests. He was among founders of South Australian School of Mines and Industries in 1886 and its president for 50 years. Bonython was a generous benefactor, including £100,000 to complete parliament house and helping many destitute people who waited outside his office during the 1930s Depression.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback