Extended Glenelg tram line plan loses out to O-Bahn guided busway for Torrens Gorge in 1986

Liberal state government transport minister Michael Wilson, on opponent of the light-rail/trams project, chose the O-Bahn busway for the Torrens Gorge corridor.
Image courtesy Clayton Wehner

An extended Glenelg tram line to Adelaide’s north-eastern suburbs lost out to the O-Bahn guided busway, opened in 1986. With rapid growth in north-eastern suburban Tea Tree Gully (2,500 in 1954; 35,000 by 1971), land along River Torrens, originally bought for the Modbury freeway under the abandoned MATS (Metropolitan Adelaide Transport Study), was proposed as the route for a branch of Adelaide rail network.

A North East Adelaide Public Transport Review chose light rail or a busway as more viable. The state government decided to extend Glenelg tram beyond Victoria Square and through city parklands to Modbury corridor. 

Adelaide City Council joined broad opposition to the project, saying it interfered with the city layout. The government altered the plan to put the tram line underground at big cost. Residents in inner suburbs such as St Peters had concerns about noise and disrupting Torrens Gorge. The trams possibility was halted in 1980 after premier David Tonkin appointed an opponent of the light-rail project, Michael Wilson, as transport minister.

The government sent experts to look at an innovative O-Bahn (omnibus/bahn or path) guided bus developed in West Germany by Daimler-Benz for tram tunnels in Essen. State Transport Authority engineers saw O-Bahn’s advantages (less land, less noise, faster, cheaper). Plans were drawn up for 12 kilometres (initially, only three) of O-Bahn path.

A new government in 1982 brought a fresh look at the choices but premier John Bannon continued with o-Bahn Stage 1 (City to Paradise) and in 1986 Stage 2 (Paradise to Tea Tree Plaza). Costing $98 million, including buses, the O-Bahn had more than four million passenger trips in Stage 1 in 1986, with 30% more the next year. When the O-Bahn was completed in 1989, passengers rose another 17%.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Adelaide Metro the successor to MTT, STA, TransAdelaide in integrating system

Adelaide Metro, part of the state government department of planning, transport and infrastructure, now runs Adelaide’s public transport that integrates trams and trains with buses. It follows the State Transport Authority (STA), formed in 1974, combining the metropolitan rail operations of the former South Australian Railways Commission with the trams and buses of the Municipal Tramways Trust (MTT). In 1994, government public transport was transferred to TransAdelaide.

 

Vivian Lewis builds its first motorcycle and car; South Australia leads on registration, licences

Vivian Lewis produced the first petrol-driven motor car made in South Australia in 1900. He also built the first South Australian motorcycle in 1899. Lewis’s business was boosted by the visit to Adelaide in 1898 by Frenchwoman Anthelmina Serpolette who was promoting a petrol-driven motor tricycle for the Gladiator Cycle Company. Vivian Lewis’s workshop was called upon to fix Serpollete’s tricycle when it refused to go on the day before she was engaged to appear at the Ariel bicycle race meeting at the Jubilee Oval. Originally an importer and maker of bicycles, The Lewis Cycle and Motor Works’ said the first car it built was “manufactured entirely at the Lewis works” but the local content in later cars under the “Lewis” brand isn’t known. By 1907, the business was busy importing and manufacturing bicycles and manufacturing Lewis motorcycles. One in eight motorcycles on the road in South Australia in 1915 was a Lewis – and importing and retailing motor cars. With World War I and the loss of its founders Tom O’Grady and Vivian Lewis, the Vivian Lewis company took a different direction towards being a car dealership in the 1920s. Being flat, dry and relatively prosperous, with a limited rail network, South Australia took up the motor car quicker than other states. Australia’s first registration and licensing system was started in South Australia during 1906 and, by 1910, 1350 cars (and more motor cycles) were registered.

Uber and other ride-sharing app services given OK to operate in South Australia in 2016

Ride-sharing services such as UberX, GoCatch, Ungogo and Oiii were given the OK to operate in South Australia from July 2016. This followed the lead of New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. All drivers and vehicles of these app-based services had to comply with driver accreditation, including police and working-with-children checks, as well as twice-yearly vehicle inspections. The app-based services were based on connecting customers with drivers who use their own cars to provide transport. They use GPS to find a customer's location and connect them to the nearest driver. Customers pay using the app and no cash is handled. The price is charged per minute or per kilometre plus a base fee, and can change depending on demand. Drivers must pass a background check, have insurance and a registered car. Uber offers a range of service levels, the two most common being UberX, using drivers with their own car, and UberBlack, using high-end” black sedans with professional chauffeurs with a commercial licence and commercial auto insurance. The new app-based services in South Australia contribute $1 a fare towards the compensation being offered to the taxi industry for the changes. Ride-booking services would have to meet stringent standards. Uber and the state government were in dispute over these introductory arrangements. Adelaide taxi fares rose by 3% from October 2016 and passengers paid an extra $2 per trip during peak periods on weekends to compensate drivers as new players entered the industry.


 

Douglas MacArthur, J.P. McGowan and oddity of three rail gauges still echo through Terowie

US General Douglas MacArthur made his famous"I shall return" speech regarding the Battle of the Philippines while changing trains on March 20, 1942, at the now-railway-ghost-town Terowie. MacArthur, coming south from the Philippines, via Alice Springs to Adelaide, had to change, like all travellers, from narrow to broad gauge at then-busy Terowie. The general was surprised on his “secret” journey to be greeted by Terowie locals and the press as he changed trains. The town also was the childhood home of J.P. McGowan whose father worked for the then-bustling railways. McGowan became a prolific pioneer Hollywood film director specialising in serials with a railways theme, including directing a young John Wayne in 12 episodes of The Hurricane express in 1932. McGowan who over four decades acted in 232 films, wrote 26 screenplays and directed 242 productions, is the only Australian life member of the Screen Directors Guild (now Directors Guild of America). Terowie boomed from 1880 as a railways changeover point – part of another South Australian oddity: having three railway gauges. Different choices between the Australian colonies in the 19th Century had left the continent with the narrow, standard and broad gauges. South Australia was caught in the middle with all three gauges. when the railway lines going through it were converted to broad gauge, Terowie declined to a near ghost town.

Adelaide to Port, first government-owned steam railway in British empire, starts network

The 12km broad-gauge railway between Adelaide and Port Adelaide, opened in 1856, was the first government-built and -owned steam railway in the British empire. By 1860, a railway had been built to Kapunda where copper was first discovered in 1843 – and it soon became South Australia’s largest wheat receiving station. An extension, branching off at Roseworthy, was completed in 1870 to serve mines at Burra. The Kapunda line was then pushed through to Morgan to capture Murray River paddle steamer trade from upstream. During the 1870s, South Australian rail lines were short and disconnected, built from wheat-growing areas to the nearest port such as Port Broughton to Mundoora (horse drawn), Port Pirie to Crystal Brook and Port Wakefield to Balaklava, Port Augusta to Quorn, Port Pirie to Peterborough, Port Broughton to Mundoora, Wallaroo to Snowtown, Port Wakefield to Hoyleton, Goolwa to Strathalbyn, Kingston to Naracoorte, Beachport to Mount Gambier. Surveyor general George Goyder influenced the policy to link all lines into a network centred on Adelaide during the last 20 years of the century, even though all lines except Adelaide to Terowie were narrow gauge.  In 1865, Goyder also had declared the north-south limit of rainfall reliable enough for cropping. The Great Northern Railway, built from Port Augusta to Quorn in 1879, reaching Marree in 1883, and Oodnadatta in 1891, went far before above that line. The same applied to lines in mallee country to the east and the Eyre Peninsula lines, starting with the link between Port Lincoln and Cummins in 1907.

Bicycles banned from Adelaide footpaths in 1874 as the popularity of cycling sweeps the city

Bicycles were so popular in Adelaide by 1874 that they were banned from footpaths. South Australia first experienced North American and European velocipedes or “boneshakers" in the 1860s. After the penny farthings, the first safety bicycle – smaller wheels and pneumatic tyres – arrived in the 1880s. Penny-farthing riders formed racing and recreational clubs, with members wearing military-like uniforms. By 1888, Adelaide had four racing clubs, including the South Australia Bicycle Club and the Norwood Cycling Club. The cycling craze grew in the 1890s many clubs affiliated with South Australia League of Wheelmen, including Adelaide, Arid, Gawler, Norwood, Great Northern, Mount Gambier, Naracoorte, North Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Port Augusta, Port Pirie, Railway, Holdfast Bay, Northern Areas, Red Bird, Jamestown, South Australian, Mannum, Parkside, Southern Districts, Melrose and West Torrens. The League of Wheelmen’s magazine, the SA Cyclist, started in 1896, described social cycling events such as the Monster Cycle Parade to Henley Beach in May 1897 involved 11 clubs and visitors.Cyclists left in club order from North Terrace, Adelaide, at 2.45. Sports at the beach included tug of war. Tea at 5pm was a shilling a head. A hall was booked for an evening of music. North Adelaide club’s annual strawberry picnic involved a run from North Adelaide via Norwood to Glen Osmond and then to Smiths Garden. A paper chase in 1897 took in Gilberton, Medindie, Botanic Park, Norwood and Marryatville.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback