Emerging giant, South Australian Brewing Co., in 1893 set to dominate beer/hotels business

Edwin Smith's Kent Town brewery (shown in the mid 1870s) merged with William Smith's West End breweries to form the South Australian Brewing, Malting & Wine & Spirit Co. The Kent Town brewery was later used as a malting house.
Image courtesy State Library of South Australia

South Australian Brewing, Malting & Wine & Spirit Co., emerging in 1888 from amalgamating Edwin Smith’s Kent Town and William Knox Simms’ West End breweries and the wine and spirit business of Rounsevell & Simms, was a major development in the brewing industry.

South Australian Brewing, Malting & Wine & Spirit Co. listed on the Stock Exchange of Adelaide. It sold the wine and spirit business to two Adelaide wine merchants, A.E. & F. Tolley and Milne & Co. in 1893 and became South Australian Brewing Co. Ltd (SABCo). The new company bought breweries in Laura and Port Augusta in 1893 and closed them in 1893 and 1898.

Walkerville Co-operative Brewing Co. Ltd, originally operating at Walkerville, purchased the Torrenside Brewery at Thebarton (established in 1886 by the Ware brothers) in 1898; the Coop was to become South Australian Brewing's main competitor. The Lion Brewery in North Adelaide was the other major competitor, but ceased brewing in 1914.

Other smaller breweries were finding it increasingly difficult to survive. Poor brewing practices, competition from larger city breweries that took advantage of the expanding railway system, the Beer Duty Act 1894 which exacted a duty of two pence per imperial gallon (2d/4.5L), and, following federation, brewer’s licences and regulations associated with the commonwealth government’s Beer Excise Act 1901 resulted in more closures in the city, suburbs and country.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

A big businessman, brawler, benevolent Osmond Gilles kept early colony in cash

Osmond Gilles was South Australia’s first colonial treasurer, who arrived with governor John Hindmarsh on the Buffalo in 1836 and remained one of his few supporters. The “very irritable” Gilles engaged in public brawls, most notably with colonial secretary Robert Gouger. His failures as an official were offset by his success in business. Gilles kept the colonial treasury going by loaning it nearly £12,000, which second governor George Gawler repaid. Gilles is memorialised in Adelaide place names such as OG Road and Glen Osmond.

 

The South Australian Company the key to developing colony after its big land purchase

The South Australian Company, formed in London in 1835 by George Fife Angas and other wealthy British merchants, was pivotal in physically developing the colony with roads, bridges, ports, warehouses and mills plus agriculture, whaling, banking and mining enterprises. But the company’s first task was to encourage the advanced sale of crown land being offered by the colonisation commission. To this end, board members Angas, Thomas Smith and Henry Kingscote formed a stock company to buy 13,000 acres of prime land at a reduced price.

 

Wholesalers D. and J. Fowler create shelves full of food products around the Lion brand

Lion was the core of a raft of food brands created by D. and J. Fowler (Australia), started by Scottish brothers David and James Fowler in 1854, originally as a grocery shop in King William Street, Adelaide, but expanding to became one of Australia's largest wholesale grocers. Fowlers started a shipping agency to handle their wholesale imports and exports including wool, wheat, meat and flour. They built the Paou Chung Factory on King William Road and took over Barnfield & Turner’s London Condiment Company at Maylands. They renamed H. B. Hanton's at Fullarton as Lion Preserving Company and expanded their canned fruits, jams and pickles. More factories followed for Lion canned fruit at Nuriootpa (later sold to R. McEwin and Sons of Glen Ewin fame) and the premises of Henry Harford in Mill Street, Adelaide, became the Lion Confectionery Works. Fowlers contracted farmers in the colony’s south-east to grow chicory for Lion coffee and chicory essence. They introduced packaged tea to South Australia with Paou Chung (1883) and Amgoorie (1896) brands, and produced Maori and Clan oatmeal.  Adelaide Milling Company (bought in 1895), Robur Tea Company (1931) and its subsidiary the Oriental Tea Company; Adelaide Bottle Company (1912) and Waltons (1931) added to the firm’s diversity. The Lion Factory, packaging Lion self-raising flour and other goods, opened on North Terrace, Adelaide, in 1907. In 1899, D & J Fowler became a limited liability company, with 2,000 shares given to the firm's employees. In 1982-83, it was taken over by Adelaide-based Southern Farmers.

Cibo Espresso starts an Adelaide revolution with an authentic Italian coffee experience

Cibo Espresso created Adelaide’s coffee revolution in 2000 with its first outlet on the corner of Frome and Rundle streets. Cibo expanded to other outlets as it won the city over to an authentic Italian coffee experience that made outside coffee shop chain struggle. Cibo’s founders, Roberto Cardone, Salvatore Pepe, Angelo Inglese and Claudio Ferraro, had become renowned for the Italian experience they presented at their CIBO Ristorante in O’Connell Street, North Adelaide, from 1996.

 

Woodroofe's Lemonade survives sale of South Australian company to remain 'still best made'

Generations of South Australian mothers gave their sick children boiled Woodroofe’s lemonade under medical advice. Generations of South Australian mothers gave their sick children boiled Woodroofe’s lemonade under medical advice. Woodroofe’s (or Woodies) was started by William Woodroofe and Bruce Randall as a soft drink business in 1878 in Norwood. The factory drew water from a natural spring. Woodroofe’s innovative products and marketing brought it success as a regional independent soft drink producer for more than a century. The most popular flavour was, and continues to be, lemonade. In the 1970s, the growth of national producers and increasing popularity of international brands (particularly Coca-Cola) gave Woodroofe increasing challenges. The business was family owned until it was bought by Adelaide businessmen Michael Harbison and Tim Hartley. They reinvigorated the business, including new flavours, such as fruit- flavoured mineral water. In 1983, Harbison and Hartley floated the business on the Adelaide Stock Exchange. South Australian Brewing bought its soft drink manufacturing and onsold the business to Cadbury Schweppes, who closed the historic Norwood factory and moved production to their plant at Payneham. In 2009, Schweppes was bought by Japanese beer company Asahi. Asahi/Schweppes closed the Payneham operations in 2016 and shifted production to Melbourne and Perth but Woodroofe drinks were still marketed in South Australia. Most popular is lemonade, advertised for many years with the jingle: “Still the best lemonade made”. 

Harry Butler returns with Red Devil; sets up Adelaide's first airport Hendon at Albert Park

World War I pilot Harry Butler returned to Adelaide from England with a Bristol monoplane (the Red Devil) and an Avro 504-K. Butler gave stunt displays in the Red Devil and, in 1919, he took it on the first southern hemisphere over-water flight across St Vincent Gulf (108km) to his hometown Minlaton on Yorke Peninsula. Carrying a full mailbag, he was greeted by more than 6000 people. District council chairman Edward Correll received a special letter from state governor Henry Galway. Butler returned to Adelaide with two bags of mail and flew over his old school at Koolywurtie. Butler, with Harry Kauper, converted his Avro 504-4 to two seats and operated Captain Harry J. Butler & Kauper Aviation from a hangar at basic Northfield airfield. Butler bought 24ha at largely-rural Albert Park in Woodville district, and in 1920 set up Hendon, also known as Captain Butler's, aerodrome. With the aviation novelty wearing off, Butler closed the company in 1921. The federal defence department in 1922 bought what was first serious Adelaide airport until the shift to Parafield in 1927. Butler and his Red Devil created other firsts including an aerial photograph of Adelaide and taking people on flights over the city. In 1920, the Ross and Keith Smith returned to Adelaide in their Vickers-Vimy, escorted by Butler's Red Devil.That year, Butler won Australia's first aerial derby in Adelaide but crashed his Avro biplane near Minlaton in 1922. He survived and resumed flying and new businesses but died of a cerebral abscess in 1924. Thousands lined King William Street, Adelaide, to farewell to their hero at his funeral.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback