Detmold Group, a global foodservice packaging force, starts from small Adelaide factory in 1948

Second and third generation members of the Detmold family – Rodney, Zoe, Sascha and Pippa – still involved in running the Detmold Group.
Image courtesy Detmold Group

Detmold Group is an innovative South Australian-based family-owned and -operated business, started in 1948 in Adelaide, now supplying some of the world’s largest brands – KFC, McDonald’s, Hungry Jacks, Burger King and Starbucks –  with premium packaging solutions.

Colin Detmold founded C.P. Detmold Pty Ltd that grew rapidly, making toilet rolls and other paper products in a small factory in Flinders Street, Adelaide. In 1955, the company moved to Brompton. After those premises were bought by the state government in 1970, the Detmold Group moved to headquarters at 45 Chief Street, Brompton, where it remains family owned and operated.

he group expanded into other states of Australia, with an extensive product range. Its Detpak division was formed in 1981, dedicated to packaging for the foodservice industry. In 1984, the business expanded from Australia into Singapore, with a factory established to support the needs of McDonalds in the region, After continued expansion. the Detmold Group have sales offices in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, China, Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan, India, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, Netherlands and USA. 

Detmold offers more than 1000 paper and board packaging solutions including cups and cup accessories, cartons, bags, napkins, trays and wraps. Its design and printing service has a reputation for high-quality custom-printed packaging. Detpak has been an innovator in the foodservice market; the first to bring waxed wraps to the Australasian market.

Other market-leading innovations include the Ripple-Wrap™ hot cup, which continues to set the benchmark in the coffee-to-go market. In 2017, it introduced a RecycleMe paper plastic-free coffee cup that was revolutionary in breaking through manufacturers' hrough manufacturers' resistance to this recyclable product.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

World's biggest lead smelters in Port Pirie starts processing ore from Broken Hill in 1889

The Port Pirie lead smelters plant was developed into the world’s largest from the first processing of ore from the Broken Hill silver, lead and zinc mines in 1889. The South Australian government cashed in on the rich ore lodes found in Broken Hill in 1883 by building a 3’6” gauge rail line from Peterborough to the New South Wales border in 1887. Broken Hill mining companies tried different costly ways to get their ores processed but, in 1889, the minor British Broken Hill Company decided to build their smelter in Port Pirie. Major mine Broken Hill Propriety followed in 1892. It took over the British Broken Hill Company smelter and enlarged it. In 1915, the smelting of five companies was amalgamated and the BHAS (Broken Hill Associated Smelters) developed into the largest in the world. The smelters has experienced changes in technology, industrial relations (after the big strike of 1919) and ownership – leading to Nystar in 2006. With state government underwriting, Nyrstar announced $660 million plans in 2012 to transform outdated and obselete aspects of the smelters into a flexible polymetallic processing and recovery centre. The project also was to address an ongoing concern over the health effects of the lead levels in the city's air.

Whaling first industry taken up by South Australian Company from start of colony

Whaling was an industry in bloody full force on Kangaroo Island, well before South Australia was settled as a colony. Profits from whaling quickly encouraged the South Australian Company to send out the Duke of York and Lady Mary Pelham, carrying the first colonists. Leaving their passengers on Kangaroo Island, both vessels went to Hobart Town to be refitted as whalers. Other company emigrant ships, the South Australian and Solway, were involved with whaling. The John Pirie made trips bringing whaling hands from Hobart to the company's Encounter Bay whaling station. In 1837, 40 whales were seen at one time off Glenelg. A year later, the Register newspaper reported on the colony’s second cargo of oil and whalebone going to England. The South Australian Company set up whaling stations on Thistle Island and Sleaford Bay near Port Lincoln. Other whaling sites were at Cape Buffon, Onkaparinga, Hog Bay, Port Collinson and Sceale Bay and Spalding Cove. The two best known shore-based stations were at Encounter Bay in 1837. Captain John Blenkinsop's was the first on Granite Island. The South Australian Company, managed by Samuel Stephens, was at Rosetta Head (the Bluff). Stephens rejected Blenkinsop's suggestion to work co-operatively. So when a whale was sighted, boats from both stations raced to intercept the animal. In 1840, four French and American whalers were offshore. By 1855, shore-based whaling was abandoned. The discovery of petroleum products in the 1860s meant whale oil was no longer such a cheap fuel. 

George Michell passes belief in wool from 1895 to his family firm still scouring in Salisbury

George Henry Michell founded G. H. Michell & Sons, wool brokers and processors, at Undalya, south of Clare Valley, around 1895. A bootmaker, Michell started in wool by buying small lots from farmers and scouring on the banks of the River Wakefield. He was noted for buying wool during slumps. In 1903, he bought wool-scouring works at 33 Adam Street, Hindmarsh, previously run by W. Peacock and Sons. All four Michell sons were employed in the business and inherited it in 1909. In 1907, the Michell factory had been destroyed in one of South Australia's largest fires, which started at W.H. Burford and Son’s Apollo Works soap factory and also razed George Wilcox's skin depot. David Reid's tannery was spared. Another big fire in 1943, at fellmonger David Jowitt and Sons, spared Michell's and Burford's factories but a blaze in 1945 destroyed their wool treatment factory on Manton/Adam streets corner. In 1938, the company was listed on the Melbourne Stock Exchange with a signed-up capital of £500,000 in £1 shares (doubled to £lm. in 1953). The wool business thrived during wartime. Major expansion was made in Adam Street but a move onto South Road (then Taylor's Road) was opposed by nearby residents. In 1947, a private company, G. H. Michell & Sons (SA) Ltd., was formed with a nominal capital of £100,000 and two shareholders: R. J. and G. H. Michell. In that year, other members of the Michell family formed Woolcombers (WA) in Perth. G. H. Michell and Sons moved to Salisbury in the 1980s as Michell Australia and then the Michell Group of Companies.

 

 

A Valiant effort fails to get Chrysler at Tonsley Park beyond No.3 in Australian car market.

Chrysler Australia opened its Australian vehicle manufacturing plant at Tonsley in 1964 as the largest assembly plant in Australia operating under one roof. Chrysler Australia had started in 1951 when the Chrysler Corporation bought out Chrysler Dodge Distributors (Holdings) formed in 1935 with Adelaide company T. J. Richards & Sons. Initially, Chrysler Australia assembled North American Chrysler cars and trucks. In 1957, there were consolidated into the Royal. Technical changes failed to stop a sales slide and production ceased in 1963. With its Adelaide assembly plants opened at Tonsley Park and Lonsdale in the 1960s, Chrysler became third of the “Big 3” behind GM-H and Ford.  By 1963, Chrysler had developed a local version of the Plymouth Valiant, the AP5 Valiant, with distinctive styling. Chrysler Australia expanded the Valiant range but it never gained the popularity of Holdens or Ford Falcons. Chrysler Australia’s most memorable car, the sporty Valiant Charger, won Wheels magazine Car of the Year in 1971. Chrysler Australia’s Hemi-6 engine in the Valiant, unique to Australia from the early 1970s, was the most powerful six-cylinder produced in Australia, with 20% greater fuel economy. But Valiant sales were hit by the mid-1970s oil crisis and a switch to four-cyclinder cars. The Galant and Sigma were winners but they were designed by Mitsubishi which increased its 15% share to a full takeover of Chrysler Australia in 1980. 

 

Government protects its oil/gas giant Santos from an outside corporate takeover

Santos was on its way to becoming South Australia’s biggest company after being founded in 1954 to explore and exploit Cooper Basin natural gas in the state’s far north east. It is Australia's second-largest independent oil and gas producer. In 1979, the state government imposed a 15% shareholding cap on Santos, to stop a takeover by West Australian businessman Alan Bond. The cap was lifted in 2007. In 2018, the company rejected a takeover offer from American equity company Hambour.
 

Alfred Muller Simpson becomes Adelaide's great manufacturing innovator from 1864

Alfred Muller Simpson started an era of manufacturing innovation that lasted more than a century from 1864 when he became partner in the Adelaide business started by his father John. John Simpson arrived in Adelaide in 1849, having been apprenticed in 1820 in London as a tin-plate worker, and also studying science and chemistry, but ending up running a hatter business after joining his brother in a tailoring firm. Simpson was forced to migrate after a fire and the railway boom collapse ruined his business. After several unsuccessful ventures in Adelaide and twice visiting the goldfields while Sarah gave piano lessons, in 1853 John Simpson turned to tinsmithing, making pots and pans and supplying cans for the Glen Ewin jam factory. In 1862, he leased premises in Gawler Place, Adelaide. His son Alfred Muller Simpson, apprenticed in 1857 and as partner in 1864, took his father’s firm beyond its goods range from jam tins to snuff scoops. The innovative younger Simpson, one of the first members of the South Australian Chamber of Manufactures, introduced products such as fire-proof safes, bedsteads, japanned ware, colonial ovens and gas stoves. The fire- and thief-resistant Simpson safes became an early speciality of the firm and came to be used in offices and banks throughout South Australia and interstate. In 1878, Alfred Muller Simpson visited the Paris Universal Exhibition, which prompted him to mechanise his plants. He brought an American double-action press back to Adelaide along with ideas for new products and refining existing one. Under him, the firm continued to expand.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback