ARR (Adelaide Resource Recovery) recycles big slab of demolition and construction material

Royal Park Salvage recycles 90% of its demolition material through ARR (Adelaide Resource Recovery) at Wingfield.
Image courtesy Adelaide Resource Recovery

South Australian recycling pioneer ARR (Adelaide Resource Recovery) met a major demand for “green” building products by buying a 68-tonne mobile concrete crusher. The $2.2 million Nordberg Impact Crusher – Adelaide's largest – turned waste concrete, previously dumped as landfill into recycled rubble” used for the foundations in major infrastructure projects.

Recycled rubble is a high-quality alternative to virgin rock quarried from the Adelaide Hills. The rubble was in strong demand for use in building foundations and to create well-compacted bases for new roads and bridges.

Previously, the company couldn’t supply the high demand from defence work in Port Adelaide and major transport infrastructure projects. The new crusher increased its crushing capacity four times to 700-800 tonnes an hour.

ARR operates a 20-hectare resource recovery plant at Wingfield Waste & Recycling Centre. Hundreds of companies from throughout metropolitan Adelaide bring construction and demolition waste, traditionally buried in landfills, to ARR at Wingfield. It is transformed into products such as concrete pavers, aggregate, sand and bitumen.

ARR also has been involved in exports to China of containers of cleaned and baled waste plastic, extracted from the mixed waste stream coming into ARR's 20-hectare Wingfield sorting plant. Some plastics sold for $500 a tonne, a level pushed up by the price of oil and companies realising they can make new products from recycled plastics.

With South Australia’s fiercely competitive recycling sector that driving innovation to set international standards, ARR was gold sponsor of “Towards zero waste: Achieving practical solutions” conference at Glenelg for more than 200 delegates from around Australia.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

South Australia's $1 billion waste industry scores 80% diversion from landfill rate

Waste management has become a major 21st Century factor in the South Australian economy, contributing $500 million a year to the Gross State Product (GSP), with an annual turnover of around $1 billion and employing around 4,800 people. South Australia continues to lead Australia – and be among world leaders – in managing waste and recovering resources from it. The state’s rate of diverting waste from landfill has hit 80%. The government’s waste strategy 2015-2020 set targets to divert 90% of metropolitan construction and demolition waste, 80% of metropolitan commercial and industrial waste and 70% of metropolitan house hold kerbside waste by 2020 from landfill. The Environment Protection (Waste Reform) Amendment Act 2017 gave the Environment Protection Authority greater powers to tackle illegal dumping and excessive waste stockpiling as well as supporting innovative resource recovery. But South Australia’s success in recovering resources also has benefitted from the involvement and foresight of the commercial waste companies. The Waste Management Association of Australia’s South Australian branch represents its members’ views and provides a link between the industry and state government and its Green Industries SA. It has working groups including Landfill SA, Carbon Committee and Waste Educators SA Working Group. The Waste Recycling Industry Association of South Australia was formed in 2017 with support from founding members Solo Resource Recovery, Peats Soil, Veolia, Mastec, Suez, Scout Recycling, ResourceCo and Bettatrans. 

TAFE charged with developing work skills of 70,000; plus schools for jockeys and pilots

TAFE (Technical and Further Education) SA, an independent statutory corporation of the state government, is at the forefront of developing South Australia's future skilled workforce. TAFE SA trains about 70,000 students –about the same as all South Australian universities. TAFE SA’s 1,300 qualifications range from certificates to advanced diplomas and degrees. Other skills trainting outlets include the SA Apprentice Academy for jockeys to flight training at Parafield aerodrome.
 

Soap brands produced at operatic rate by W.H. Burford dominating the South Australia market

Signal soap, Apollo laundry soap, Sayso carbolic family soap, White Dove soap, Dr Bayley’s medicated soap, Southern Sky washing blue, Exhibition candles and Brunswick stove blacking, Snow White starch and Magic egg preserver. These were some of the products developed or made by W.H, Burford and Son that became the dominant soap maker in South Australia and Western Australia into the 20th Century. William Burford had founded the business, on the Grenfell Street-East Terrace corner, Adelaide, in 1840 as one of the Australia’s earliest soap makers and its oldest up to the 1960s when it closed. Carried on in the 19th Century by Burford’s son, the business opened bigger factories in Sturt Street and later Adam Street, Hindmarsh (taking over Apollo Soap). Fire destroyed both factories. The fires – rather than £12,000 offered by the council in 1919 for Burfords to move their smelly factories out of the city altogether – prompted new premises at Dry Creek in 1922. In the late 1890s, Burfords had opened factories in Western Australia. In the 1920s, W. H. Burford and Son was taken over by its eastern states rival J. Kitchen & Sons, who became Lever & Kitchen, part of the British Lever Brothers empire, which in 1930 merged with Dutch Margarine Unie to form the multinational Unilever.The Burfords factory was still running profitably in the 1950s, and the factory at Dry Creek was still listed in 1962. The office at 83 Sturt Street still bore the Burford’s name, alongside that of its nominal owner J. Kitchen & Sons, Rexona Pty. Ltd. and Lever Brothers.

Local Type A trams the early vanguard of 300 commissioned by MTT from 1909 to 1953

Municipal Tramways Trust (MTT) first 100 trams in 1908-09 had their bodies made at £100 each by Adelaide company Duncan and Fraser who had built horse tram cars for the Adelaide and Suburban Tramway as well as bodies for Melbourne electric trams. Up to its last purchase in 1953, the MTT commissioned more than 300 trams, some in service for 75 years. Type A trams made up 70 of the initial 100 trams. The types of trams ­– A, A1, A2, B, C, D, E, E1, F, F1, H, H1 – ­ varied over the years

A Valiant effort fails to get Chrysler at Tonsley Park beyond No.3 in Australian car market.

Chrysler Australia opened its Australian vehicle manufacturing plant at Tonsley in 1964 as the largest assembly plant in Australia operating under one roof. Chrysler Australia had started in 1951 when the Chrysler Corporation bought out Chrysler Dodge Distributors (Holdings) formed in 1935 with Adelaide company T. J. Richards & Sons. Initially, Chrysler Australia assembled North American Chrysler cars and trucks. In 1957, there were consolidated into the Royal. Technical changes failed to stop a sales slide and production ceased in 1963. With its Adelaide assembly plants opened at Tonsley Park and Lonsdale in the 1960s, Chrysler became third of the “Big 3” behind GM-H and Ford.  By 1963, Chrysler had developed a local version of the Plymouth Valiant, the AP5 Valiant, with distinctive styling. Chrysler Australia expanded the Valiant range but it never gained the popularity of Holdens or Ford Falcons. Chrysler Australia’s most memorable car, the sporty Valiant Charger, won Wheels magazine Car of the Year in 1971. Chrysler Australia’s Hemi-6 engine in the Valiant, unique to Australia from the early 1970s, was the most powerful six-cylinder produced in Australia, with 20% greater fuel economy. But Valiant sales were hit by the mid-1970s oil crisis and a switch to four-cyclinder cars. The Galant and Sigma were winners but they were designed by Mitsubishi which increased its 15% share to a full takeover of Chrysler Australia in 1980. 

 

Myriota nanosatellites to give internet-of-things link to millions of low-cost transmitters

Adelaide space startup company Myriota is developing its own low-orbit constellation of 50 nanosatellites to deliver internet of things (IoT) data to customers anywhere on Earth. The company, based at Adelaide CBD’s Lot Fourteen innovation hub – home of the Australian Spece Agency –  has its roots in a $12 million University of South Australia project, the Australian Space Research Program, from 2011. Myriota was founded in 2015 with its team of 11 including key inventors from that research. Myriota tried its technology aboard a maritime-tracking nanosatellite from Canadian ExactEarth. This led to seed funding for the company that saw its technology could support hundreds of millions of devices. Myriota is developing small low-cost low-power transmitters that connect directly to satellites in orbit. These devices don’t need an aggregator or base station to collect the data and connect all these devices. This gives Myriota’s technology shows great potential in agriculture with Australian farmers using the tramsitters to monitor the levels of water tanks or even track individual cattle. Myriota’s 50 nano satellites – each shoebox size, weighing less than 10 kilograms – will be key to its claim on the IoT market. The satellite will moves over the north and south poles and around the world in 90 minutes. Myriota has partnered with Tyvak Nano-Satellite Systems to develop and launch multiple satellites. In 2018, Myriota secured the first investment outside the USA by Boeing’s Horizon X Ventures.  Added to funds from Singapore-based Singtel Innov8 and Right Click Capital, this raised $15 million.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback