Adelaide's own Jeffries a world leader/innovator in the recycling and composting of organics

Jeffries Group introduced a commercial food organics recycling service, involving supermarkets, hotels and restaurants across metropolitan Adelaide. 
Image courtesy Jeffries Group

A world-first screening system, to remove contaminants such as plastic bags, boosted the quality of green organics collected by councils from most Adelaide households. The Recycled Organics Screening System (ROSS), designed and built in South Australia with engineering firm Quarry and Mining Manufacture, was part of a $3 million plant upgrade by Jeffries Group, supported by $300,000 from the state government’s Zero Waste SA (now Green Industries SA).

Jeffries Group recycles more than 100,000 tonnes of organic material each year, including almost three-quarters of greater Adelaide’s garden organics through kerbside collections. Recyclable organics are taken to Jeffries' Wingfield transfer site for primary processing and then sent to Buckland Park.

The three-storey ROSS system can remove up to one tonne of metal a day from organic material. It has three custom-made mechanical screens and two sorting rooms where up to eight people can manually remove unwanted material. Two magnets remove steel, two fans extract light plastics and a conveyor screens out rocks and plastic bottle caps.

Jeffries’s composting involves placing organic material on concrete channels with pipes that deliver fresh air to the material via automated fans. Probes measure oxygen levels to ensure the correct temperature is maintained throughout.

Jeffries' compost, soil and mulch experts introduced the innovative commercial food organics recycling service, involving supermarkets, hotels and restaurants across metropolitan Adelaide. The collected food is turned into compost, soil and mulch products used by home gardeners, landscapers and horticultural farmers, including vineyards.

Jeffries is wholly owned by a fourth-generation South Australian family from 1842. It is internationally recognised as a leading and innovative organic recycler.

 

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

BiobiN® for composting, developed by South Australia's Peats Soils, being taken up overseas

BiobiN® is an onsite capture-and-contain system to start composting organic material in an odour-free easily-accessible unit. BiobiN® was developed by Adelaide company Peats Soil and Garden Supplies, led by Peter Wadewitz, a leading recycler of organic material in South Australia, to reverse the large amounts of organic and wet materials being sent to landfill. For more than four decades, Peats have been turning what others perceive as “waste” into valuable nutrient- rich products and showing the way to a circular economy. The BiobiN® provides a cost-effective and sustainable solution for organic waste generated around the world. It is being used to process organic and wet materials in Australasia, North America, the Middle East, Japan, China and India. Its suitable for a whole range of outlets: from hotels, resorts, restaurants to food factories and farms. The patented BiobiN® aeration system initiates a composting that cuts bacteria and other pathogens. The composting also maximises organic material that can be collected by the BiobiN®. Once collected, the processed or partially processed organic material can be added to products such as soil conditioners, compost and biofuels – providing valuable nutrients, carbon and organic matter to agricultural soils, landscape supplies and alternative fuels. Peats Soils has bases in Dublin, Willunga and Brinkley, near Langhorne Creek. In 2019, its fourth advanced compost and renewable energy site opened at Whyalla City Council’s Mount Laura Waste and Resource Recovery Centre, with funding from the Australian government. 

Crotti family creates San Remo pasta giant with South Australian points of difference

Luigi Crotti founded what became the San Remo pasta brand company when he arrived with his wife in Adelaide from the Lombardy region in 1936 ­– when there were about 2000 Italians in the state. San Remo is still a family company, based at Windsor Gardens, but now the No.1 dry pasta producer in Australia and exporting to 35 countries from its 750 products. Luigi Crotti’s son Aldo was founding partner in his family business that survived the days when pasta was still a niche product in Australia. When pasta was more common in the 1960s, the Crottis’ San Remo brand was competing with nine others. The San Remo Marcaroni Company turned to a high-quality product at low cost through economies of scale. It was the first manufacturer to foster distribution to supermarket model developing in Australia. San Remo is Australia’s No.1 pasta brands, with a 50% market share, and one of its largest manufacturers. Since the 1990s, San Remo has worked with farmers and Adelaide University’s Waite Agricultural Research Institute at Roseworthy developing a better-quality durum wheat. San Remo’s special durum wheat mill is one of the largest and most sophisticated mills in the Australian and South-East Asia. San Remo semolina mill at Windsor Gardens is also the largest in Australasia. The company had been inducted into the Family Business Australia Hall of Fame. In 2008, San Remo bought another iconic South Australian food business: Balfour's, maker of pies, parties, sausage rolls and famous green frog cake.

City Market in Grote St from 1869 takes the overflow from Richard Vaughan's East Enders

Adelaide City Council's first attempt to run a market was in 1855, with 26 stalls on the corporation’s acre in King William Street. This failed, opening the way for Richard Vaughan to set up a market that became the fruit and produce exchange on East Terrace. From 1861, Vaughan's venture thrived (and continued until 1988) and was soon overflowing. This overflow meant the need for the City Market, opened in 1869 on three town acres in Grote Street bought in 1867 by the city council. The market operated for six months before any sheds were built. The Grote Street brick façade (1900) and seven two-storey shops in Gouger Street (1906) were the council’s first big investments. A major addition was an arcade of shops in 1915 between Grote and Gouger streets, extending from the eastern market roadway to Moore’s department store fronting Victoria Square. When the fish market lease expired in 1922, it was replaced by an extra north-south arcade. But, from the 1930s Depression, no major works were done until a 1960s $400,000 revamp saw the eastern Grote Street façade demolished. During the 1960s redevelopment, the city council changed the name City Market to the Central Market.


 

Councils handle South Australia's biggest part of state's waste stream: from households

South Australia’s 68 local government councils (19 metropolitan, 49 regional) provide kerbside waste and recycling services to households, some small businesses and groups. Municipal waste collected by the councils is the largest part (38%) of solid waste that goes to landfill. Commercial and industrial waste (26%) and construction and demolition waste (36%) make up the rest. Waste management is one of the largest expenses for South Australia’s councils, with more than $191 million spent in 2015-16. Councils also own and operate most South Australian waste management plants and manage trucks collecting waste. The councils have formed regional groups or waste authorities sharing resources. Metropolitan waste authorities include: Southern (Holdfast Bay, Marion, Mitcham, Onkaparinga), Eastern (Adelaide Hills, Burnside, Campbelltown, Norwood, Payneham & St Peters, Mitcham, Walkerville, Prospect), Northern Adelaide (Salisbury, Playford, Gawler), Adelaide Hills Region (Adelaide Hills, Alexandrina, Mount Barker, Murray Bridge). Adelaide City, Charles Sturt, Marion and Port Adelaide Enfield have a single waste collector. Individual councils represented on the authorities' boards and can decide the nature of waste collection in their area. Councils have complained of bearing the cost of the state government levy on solid waste going to landfill. The government has pointed to support through its former Zero Waste SA in setting up three-bin kerbside waste systems that delivered a $22 million benefit to metropolitan councils. The Green Industry Fund, built from the levy, has supported councils’ waste programs and infrastructure.

Adelaide's SAGE brings automation to sorting containers at recycling and refund depots

Adelaide-based technology and engineering company SAGE Automation is producing more of its automated smart container deposit systems, as other Australian states follow South Australia’s lead in recycling by introducing a container refund scheme in 1977. With the University of South Australia, SAGE Automation has developed auto return terminals (ARTs). The terminals allow customers to return deposit cans, plastic bottles and glass for a 10 cents-per-container refund. The ARTs identify and sort containers with  industrial internet-of-things technology and a vision counting- and-sorting system developed by SAGE. The system’s  advanced vision technology counts up to 350 containers per minute without the need for coding or labelling. The containers are counted for a predicted refund sum that customers can view on a TV screen at most depots. The machines identify different container types, including unwanted materials. The process takes only a few minutes and a refund receipt is automatically generated. The terminals have proved more than 99% accurate. Since Queensland launched its containers-for-change scheme in 2018, a rise from 32,000 to 230,000 containers per day has gone through 16 semi auto return terminals (ARTs) at private recyclers across six sites. SAGE remotely monitors the machines, including some in rural Queensland, from its Adelaide operations centre. South Australia recycling depots, that have counted and sorted containers manually for more than 40 years, could also benefit from the ARTs.

Council's incinerator a money spinner but its pollution forces switch to Wingfield dump

The Adelaide city refuse destructor, installed in Halifax Street in 1910, brought in revenue when it also began cremating rubbish for 11 metropolitan councils. The city destructor became a tourist drawcard but city residents, who endured its polluting smoke and ash, weren’t so fascinated. Those residents had to wait until 1950s, for the move to Wingfield rubbish dump, leased from the federal government and bought in 1986 when it received 70% of metropolitan Adelaide waste.

 

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback