Detpak, Adelaide global packaging specialist, offers recycling boon with plastic-free cups

The RecycleMe plastic-free paper coffer cup produced by Detpak, a division of Adelaide's Detmold Group.
Image courtesy Daily Coffee News

Paper coffee cups, without the plastic that had prevented recycling, were a revolutionary addition in 2017 to the range of Adelaide-based global specialty packaging maker Detpak. Detpak is part of the Detmold Group, founded by Colin Detmold as C.P. Detmold in 1948, making toilet rolls and other paper products in a small factory in Flinders Street, Adelaide.

In 1955, the company moved to Brompton and is still headquartered in the suburb at Chief Street. After continued growth, Detmold Group is still owned and operated by the Detmold family. The group is one of the world’s largest manufacturers of paper and board products, employing more than 2500 people globally, with manufacturing in seven countries, and 23 sales offices.

Detpak was formed in 1981, dedicated to foodservice packaging. In 1984, the business expanded from Australia into Singapore, then South Asia in the 1980s, and China and North Asia in the 1990s. Detpak grew with the foodservice market and in the 1990s moved into the Middle East and South Africa in the 2000s. Detpak produced more than 1000 paper and board packaging and services to clients such as KFC, McDonald’s, Hungry Jacks, Burger King and Starbucks. 

Detpak’s market-leading product innovations include the Ripple-Wrap™ hot cup. Its RecycleMe paper plastic-free coffee cup promises another revolution in breaking down manufacturers'  resistance to plastic-free cups.

From 2017, Detpak, backed by Planet Ark, introduced a collection scheme for cups using specialist coffee outlets. Customers can drop their cups in giant blue bins at stores across Australia. Cafes pay $20 for a weekly collection of the cups by partner Shed-X. The cups can then be recycled up to seven times.

Specialist operator First Pour in Melbourne Street, North Adelaide, a coffee supplier to about 40 cafes, was among the first to adopt the RecycleMe concept.

Other related ADELAIDEAZ articles

Carl Laubmann opens new optometry vistas in Adelaide partnership with Harold Pank

Carl Wilhelm Laubmann was the technically brilliant optician, inventor and a founder of Laubman & Pank that, by the 1930s, was Australia’s largest retail optical business. Laubmann was born in Adelaide inner suburb Stepney, the eldest of seven with German parents. Educated at Norwood Primary, he left in 1892, aged 14, to be trained as an optician by noted Adelaide ophthalmologist Dr T. K. Hamilton. A perfectionist, Laubmann used woodworking learnt from his carpenter father to make his own optical cabinets and metal tools. In 1900, with his family struggling after his father died, Laubman noted a demand for optician services in regional areas and set up his own business in Broken Hill. He married local musician Maude May Sullivan. In 1907, young Adelaide optometrist, Harold Pank contacted Laubmann while visiting Broken Hill as a cellist. A firm friendship formed, particularly as Pank and Maude Laubmann shared an interest in music. With changed family circumstances, the Laubmanns moved to Adelaide where Carl took up Pank’s previous idea of a partnership. Laubmann & Pank soon moved from Victoria Square to busy Rundle Street, where it flourished. In 1913, Carl was a founder of South Australian Optical Association. Due to anti-German attitudes, Carl anglicised his name to Charles William Laubman. The now-Laubman & Pank diversified into selling optical instruments. With Laubman as technician and Pank the entrepreneur, they invented and developed important optical instruments, lenses, and processes. They were also pioneers of taking optometry to rural and remote areas.

Kuhnel's piano and organ emporium dominant in Adelaide's Rundle Street in 1920s

Kuhnel’s piano and organ store at 136 Rundle Street, Adelaide, became Australia’s largest, with its name a landmark on Adelaide Arcade’s dome. Its founder, Gottfried Kuhnel from Breslau in Silesia, arrived in Adelaide on the Pauline in 1846. Kuhnel started a carpentry workshop in Hindley Street and later Pirie Street, Adelaide, but by 1859 built a lucrative business borrowing and lending money for property sales. He operated from his North Terrace home, at the corner of Austin Street. He opened his Rundle Street piano and organ shop in 1874, with an advertisememt above nearby competitor S. Marshall’s, importer of German-made pianos including Pohlmann and Son, W. Biese, G. Schewchten, Neumeyer and Bord. By the 1880s, the Kuhnel showroom was in Pirie Street near Der Deutsche Club. Kuhnel offered piano buyers two years to pay off the cost (£51 in 1885). Gottfried passed the business to son William in 1892 when Kuhnel’s were sole agent for Holling and Spangelborg, and Julius Feurich pianos, as well as importing Lipp, Rönish and Schwecten pianos. In 1898, Albert Conrad, designer of Austral Buildings in Hindley Street, created Kuhnel’s emporium that expanded to house 400 pianos, at 136 Rundle Street, opposite Adelaide Arcade. Kuhnel used the arcade's dome as a billboard with a hand pointing across Rundle Street to its shop. By the 1920s, Kuhnel’s was the largest piano and organ store in Australia, able to have manufacturers create models just for its business. William Kuhnel died suddenly at 53 in 1916 but W. Kuhnel & Co Ltd continued in Rundle Street into the 1950s.

Miller Anderson's last of Adelaide drapery shops and oldest department store, from 1839 to 1988

Miller Anderson’s 148 years of trading made it the oldest survivor of “scores of” drapery shops in early Adelaide city and the longest-surviving department store. Miller and Gale, a small drapery shop, opened at 52 Hindley Street in 1839. Robert Miller of the original Miller & Gale drapery shop in Hindley Street (opposite Rosina Street) had several drapery partnerships (Sanders & Miller, Miller & Bryden, Miller & Lucking) before he returned to Scotland in 1848 but kept a link in the business through nephew J.M. Anderson. After a third partner Robert Hawkes died, the business in 1859 became J. Miller Anderson & Co. that built a shop on the site of Jaffrey’s Waterloo House in 1863. This became a department store for the next 100 years. The company was floated as Miller Anderson & Co. Ltd. in 1914-15 and in the 1920s built a five-storey store at 16-26 Hindley Street. As a public company from 1927, it was soon bought by Marcus Clark and Co. Ltd of Sydney. In 1966, Waltons took over Marcus Clark and in turn was bought by Venture Stores in 1987. Miller Anderson’s finally failed in 1988 after an short-lived move to Station Arcade. Miller Anderson’s owners had bought Hindley Street’s Theatre Royal, opened in 1868, for £175,000 in 1955. The theatre had become rundown and the company said it was concerned by the safety of the proscenium wall. This became the determining factor in demolishing the theatre in 1962, to build a multi-level carpark. The store made a big early effort in having assistants help motorists use the carpark but this doesn’t quell the controversy over the loss of the old theatre

Alfred Muller Simpson leads with munitions, enamels; whitegoods emerge in the 1940s

Alfred Muller Simpson brought back ideas from the Paris Exhibition 1878 for labour-saving machinery and for new products and refining existing products from A. Simpson and Son ­– the company originating in 1864 when he became partner in the Adelaide business started by his father. In 1885, Alfred Muller Simpson became the first maker of munitions, including submarine mines, in South Australia. This was in response to Australia’s fears of a Russian invasion. A new Simpson plant in Wakefield Street, Adelaide, in 1894, included electroplating and furnaces for hollowware and porcelain enamelling – a first for Australia. Enamelled street and advertising signs from Simpson’s soon appeared in most Australian capitals, making the firm’s name known throughout the country. Besides creating the largest metal manufacturer in the country, with three factories and 500 employees, Alfred Muller Simpson was also prominent in public life including being elected in 1887 to the Legislative Council, representing the Protectionist Party. With World War I, Simpson’s returned to making munitions but also enamelled water bottles, harness fittings and mess tins for the Australian forces, and boilers and enamel ware for hospitals. With the next Simpson generation, Allen (Alfred) and Frederick, as directors, the company expanded further in the 1920s. A new factory was opened at Dudley Park in the 1940s and the company began making whitegoods.

John Martin's stores, woven into Adelaide fabric since 1866, finally unstitched in 1998

John Martin & Co. Ltd, starting as a drapery store, operated in Adelaide city for more than 130 years: 1866 to 1998. Johnnies became a chain of stores, owned by the Hayward family, with its Rundle Street/mall store an Adelaide icon and focus of the famous Christmas Pageant and sponsor of the Beatles’ 1964 visit. John Martin’s opened as Peters and Martin in Rundle Street in 1866. Otto Peters left the partnership a few years later. Martin bought adjoining shops with new partners Edward Hayward and Richard Martin, and a staff of 500. After Martin died (from “excess and debauchery”) in 1898, a two-storey rebuild on Charles Street corner was destroyed in a 1901 fire. The King of Hanover Hotel purchase in 1902 brought more frontage and in 1934 the central section was rebuilt to seven storeys. Linked to Sydney’s Grace Brothers and Tasmania’s FitzGerald’s under International Buying Group, Johnnies in the 1970s developed Venture discount chain. In the 1980s, Johnnies’ competitors expanded nationally and, with more credit cards, John Martin’s distinctive orange purchase card lost value. Problems grew when it was bought by David Jones, controlled by Adsteam Group and its doomed takeovers splurge. David Jones pushed John Martin's into the aggressive discount sector against Harris Scarfe. Johnnies’ Elizabeth and Westfield Arndale stores were sold to Harris Scarfe in 1997 and its Marion and West Lakes Mall shops were rebadged as David Jones in 1996. Last to go was the Rundle Mall flagship art-deco store in 1998, demolished for a small David Jones store and other retailers in 2000.
 

Southern Cross Feature Film Company shuts down in 1925 after outside factors hit home

Southern Cross Feature Film Company, incorporated in Adelaide in 1917, made some of Australia's most famous silent films before it shut down in 1925. With Adelaide businessman David Gordon as a prime mover, the company was at its peak in 1921, after the success of its first feature, The Woman Suffers (1918) followed by even bigger hits with the C. J. Dennis creations The Sentimental Bloke (1919) and Ginger Meggs (1920), all directed by Raymond Longford. A signal of challenges for the South Australian film enterprise came in 1918 when the New South Wales government chief secretary suddenly banned A Woman Suffers. Longford believed this stemmed from pressure from “the Combine”, a powerful partnership of Australasian Films and Union Theatres trying to suppress local productions in favour of American films. In 1920, Southern Cross Feature Film Company paid a dividend of a shilling per share. The company’s structure changed in that year with more interstate links when it took a five-twelfths interest in what became Southern Cross Picture Productions. David Gordon joining directors including theatre and film entrepreneur E.J. Carroll and athlete-turned-actor Snowy Baker. Southern Cross Picture Productions made The Jackeroo of Coolabong, Rudd’s New Selection and The Blue Mountains Mystery . By 1925, the company was reporting losses, partly due to costs in Great Britain and the USA. The directors decided against Carroll’s idea to film C. J. Dennis’s The Rose of Spadgers and the company was wound up soon afterwards.

Contact Us

We welcome positive constructive feedback